Oxytoxine

Samplitude Vs Music Studio

hi all; i'm new to this forum , and since i saw that also guys from the development / with a lot of background knowledge actively take part i thought that here is the first place to get some answers.

could anybody please tell me some words about the (technical) differences of samplitude versus the magix music studio, with an emphasis on audio engine / quality and effect quality / algorithms, do they really have the same engine and if yes what does that mean? i do not mean a list with the "obvious" specs, i own music studio 12 and also samplitude SE so i know about the most obvious differences (which are strikingly few - thus this question!), however i am quite new to them.

music studio is restricted to 24bit/44.1KhZ, whereas samplitude allows much higher frequencies. both use internal 32bit processing. music studio deluxe has many features that only samplitude professional has, but costs about 1/9 of the price - how is this possible?

when i bought music studio 11 (in which audio and midi where divided in 2 programs), the audio studio really extremely convinced me. one week later, music studio 12 came out (bad luck..) so i immediately bought it since it has both audio and midi in one program, like samplitude. unfortunately there are weird midi bugs at the moment, so i also purchased a copy of samplitude SE V8.3. i do not hear any obvious differences between the two programs, but first i do not have "top of the art" equipment to judge this, and second i don't know wheter i'm underlying some sort of "psychological influence" because samplitude looks so smart and professional, it gives me a "saver"/"better" feeling, since i know that audio quality will be 1a. but on the other hand there are quite a lot of features missing that music studio (and of corse the sam pro version) has, but this is "only" 24bit/44.1 KhZ and most people i know regard it as "toy", there are even no reviews at all in music mags and on the internet.

so then of course the logical progression would be to upgrade to sam classic or pro, but this is so extremely expensive, and furthermore i am not a pro; all that i would like is to make some really good sounding recordings. but, if it's really necessery for the sake of good sound / to get some nice demo tracks that sound not automaically cheap to the "trained" ear only because of the DAW used / effect algorithms, it's with no doubt worth it, but not if the only difference is in a bit more "old school look" and renommée / some "luxus features".

sorry, this post is already too long, i just would like to add that i'm no newbie to music in general (but to computer recording / sequencing) that would like to make his first hiphop beatz (nuttin' against hiphop, there are definitely some hammer tunes out there that deserve respect!), i would like to record acoustic and electric guitars, piano, organs, synthesizers but also work with samples etc. (pop, (prog)rock, jazz, but also more electronic styles). my gear at the moment:

- alesis fusion 8hd

- acoustic piano (will probably be "replaced" by the grand II for recordings)

- some grooveboxes

- some guitars

- POD2

- AKG P100

- alesis active 620

- ibm t42 with magix music studio 12 and samplitude SE and some plugins

- fast track audio pro

i just listed this that you can make you a better picture; i do have no idea how other people with such a "minimal setup" do record, wheter this already "deserves" samplitude or wheter i can be content with my music studio without having to have "quality concerns".

sorry for this long thread; i actually only wanted to ask about the differences from music studio to samplitude!...

best regards

The basic audio quality of SE, MusicStudio and Samplitude is the same.

The big samplitude versions have more advanced dithering and more plug-ins.

I think within SE you can change the order of fx which you cannot in MS. This might be important if you want to distinguish pre/post Aux send or put a compressor explicitly before/after reverb or so.

Then you have no automation in MS. You may need this for dynamic mixing (volume curves), but you can still workaround with individual object gain. But if you want to automate any VST instrument parameter - you would need to do this via MIDI control change messages if the VSTi supports this.

I think MS has no latency compensation for external fx (same as SE), might be an important difference to Samp "full" versions, but only if you use plug-ins which have latency (e.g. drumagog in certain modes).

So the difference is that you have more possibilities/features with the big versions, but the things that the consumer versions can do they do with the same quality as the big ones. Short said: small versions have less features, but same quality of the core engine.

Despite this, SE has the roomsimulator (convolution reverb) and simpler dynamic fx.

MS costs about 1/10, but it is much better than only 1/10 Samplitude Pro - the lower price is there because it is a mass product compared to Samplitude Pro.

But remember: Samp Pro Version has very sophisticated plug-ins (am-Suite: amTrack, amPulse and amPhibia) which are alone worth about 500 Euro or even more - in the pro market.

You can try the 8.31 demo and test if the advanced dithering could be important for your needs.

Greetings,

Frank

thank you very much for the answer frank, that's definitively good news!!!

i found the thread which many sam pro owners complaint that magix made an SE version that gives so much sam for so few money. from the "psychological" point of view i can understand this, but i'm an example that this marketing strategy works: even though i know that not altruism but sales is the reason for offering products like SE and music studio, i'm so happy with them that my "magix is a cool company and sam simply the best DAW"-feeling grow with every minute and - as fast as i will afford it - will upgrade to the "real deal" version.

thanks again !

Then you have no automation in MS. You may need this for dynamic mixing (volume curves), but you can still workaround with individual object gain. But if you want to automate any VST instrument parameter - you would need to do this via MIDI control change messages if the VSTi supports this.

Vol and pan automation work great in MS...

About the audio engine quality, I had better sounding with the same multitrack VIP (without FX) in Samp 8.3 than in MS2006. But now, with MS2007 (= MS12) there is no more difference (to my ears).

I don't know about Samp V9, but in MS2007 the FFT is now really great and usable with the new scales and zoom capabilities.

But yes the MS skin is so flat...

Jean-Marie

But yes the MS skin is so flat...

Copy this thread on using different skins in SE:

"Just copy your skin folders to the SE / bitmaps directory, open Sam8.3Pro, choose the skins you want - close it again and then copy the INIs over to the SE directory.

Now you have the same setup as 8.3 including all the shortcuts."

I guess that should also work with MS

Cheers

M