Lack Of Groove Quantize And Template Support In 9?

Jake68

Guys / Samplitude,

This is a real bone of contention for me. I would LOVE to get to grips with this software, but its still missing a major major feature for me, and I beleive for programmers of contemporary music.

Just in case you arent aquainted with the method, the idea is that certain groove contain none linear offsets from perfect time that give them "feel". Ie Swung hats and 1 snare early second late etc ...may give a funky feel or a driving feel etc etc. I have been working with these basic principles in Cubase and Nuendo for a long time. Sonar 6 now sports this important beat programming workflow feature.

Samplitude is unusable for me whilst missing this feature, in my opinion its not a fully functional music creation tool without it.

Would anyone from Magix or any user like to comment on any "workaround" they may have or when this extremely important function may be included in what is otherwise a premium title.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guys / Samplitude,

This is a real bone of contention for me. I would LOVE to get to grips with this software, but its still missing a major major feature for me, and I beleive for programmers of contemporary music.

Just in case you arent aquainted with the method, the idea is that certain groove contain none linear offsets from perfect time that give them "feel". Ie Swung hats and 1 snare early second late etc ...may give a funky feel or a driving feel etc etc. I have been working with these basic principles in Cubase and Nuendo for a long time. Sonar 6 now sports this important beat programming workflow feature.

Samplitude is unusable for me whilst missing this feature, in my opinion its not a fully functional music creation tool without it.

Would anyone from Magix or any user like to comment on any "workaround" they may have or when this extremely important function may be included in what is otherwise a premium title.

Thanks

yes this is one of the most important things for me as well I want to be able to quantize audio and midi to a groove template.

dw

My understand is that improvements in this area are coming in 9.1.

In the meantime you can pick a range and give it a number of beats in the grid setup, set your bar/mesure setting up to 1/16th, and pick the choice for resetting the tempo. The MIDI tracks will remap to the new tempo.

I realize this is a workaround from what people EXPECT to be able to do - like it SUPPOSEDLY does in Logic (looked cludgy at NAMM last month), but I have faith that the Samp. dev's are working on it.

Greg

I don't understand.

I dont' want to set the tempo, I want to quantize the audio and midi hits.

I hope they can get this, there is also NO (as far as I can see) mention regarding elastic audio actually moving sounds in a timeline, only repitching them.

dw

The elastic audio can stretch with or without pitch change.

Actually moving sounds in a timeline is dirt simple - just move the audio/MIDI object (or define a position) - all non-destructively.

What I meant was that you can now pick a range, define the no. of beats per measure (or whatever), and then put markers on the peaks, etc. , but currently there is no actual 'groove quantize' feature. I usually just play MIDI drums over the audio groove.

Definitely grab the demo, watch some of the videos here:

, and jump in.

Greg