dwall

Volume Automation Drawing

Here's the scenerio: I'm working out an arrangement, just for reference, and to quickly boost the volume of a guitar, I push the channel fader in Samplitude 9 up to 6. For a brief time however I'd like it to be quieter. I activate the yellow volume line, which appears at the top of the track. I click to insert a point, which registers at 6db, which makes sense. I add another point and pull that down to -2, then add another -2 point, and then add a fourth point to take it back up to 6db...I drag it to the top of the track, but it's only registering at 0db. I can't seem to pull it up over 0db. Why not? I've zoomed in on the track, and that doesn't work, the limit stays at 0db. I found these ways around it:

I see that if I hit the "A" button, I can manually push the fader up during playback and the movement is remembered upon playback, but it requires more precision than I have and all I want to do is insert one point at 6db, should be easy. And if I can do it with the fader, I should be able to do it with the volume draw function.

I can create a new object and edit the object properties, but sometimes I just want to automate one word, or even half of a word, so that seems a bit much.

I found that if I insert all the points where I want them to be before pulling anything down, the 6db stays at 6db, but that requires a lot of preplanning and would be convoluted if I had a lot of tweaking in an area. I could do this if need be however.

So, how do I (1) pull a point up above 0db and (2) how can I manually type in the number value for a point? That would be best actually: to just be able to type in "6". I've looked all over the program, help files and manual and the forums and can't figure this out.

Thanks!

hi,

I think you can do zoom out in the Vip, the color of the tracks will change for pink :) and you will be able to go above 0db.

best regards

Phil

hi,

I think you can do zoom out in the Vip, the color of the tracks will change for pink :) and you will be able to go above 0db.

best regards

Phil

Thanks for responding, but that hasn't worked for me. I read that before at the forum and tried it. I zoomed as much as I can zoom, and I still can't pull it above zero. And if I grab the 6db point, pull it down a tiny tiny bit in full zoom mode, and then pull it back up, it'll only go to zero. Is there a zoom mode I'm not aware of? I've hit the arrows under the VIP area, the plus sign, and I seem to recall a magnifying glass mouse pointer...it blows up pretty big, but can't go above 0db with the yellow volume curve.

humm, you don't find the good zoom ! :)

right click on the track, View > Vertically > Zoom Out Wave

best

Phil

Look at menu/View/Vertical

thats where you can 'zoom' down - that gives you an extra 6db of headroom per zoom level and actually makes the tracks go pink!

Cheers

M

humm, you don't find the good zoom ! :)

right click on the track, View > Vertically > Zoom Out Wave

best

Phil

Thanks, I'll try that. I was about to say "how many kinds of zooms do I need?!?", but I'm sure once it's all second nature for me I'll appreciate all the zooms, just as I do all the other stuff I've learned so far in Samp.

You can zoom the waveform independent from the tracks' heights. Default shortcut is Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down. Menu command is called "View" > "vertical" > "zoom in waveform" (german: "Ansicht" > "vertikal" > "Zoom in Wellenform").

This way you can easily set the volume curve values to +10 dB or so.

Other way to zoom this way: Shift+Mousewheel.

Greetings,

Frank

Thanks for all the great replies! I noticed noone has mentioned anything about being able to insert a value manually near the volume curve point. I saw on the forum that this used to possible but no long is. If it's not possible, I would put it on a wish list to bring it back. I noticed you can hold down control (or is it shift?) and get finer steps with the points, but it's still not always possible to get to an exact number.