Sign in to follow this  
echom

Which Upgrade From Se?

Hi

I got Samp SE with Computer Music magazine and I've been trying it out on some imported wav files that I did on my AW16G. The sound quality is excellent, and after an afternoon's work I was able to get the object editing going and work out how to do basic comping. This is the first music software that I've used, so I can't compare it to the alternatives, but I do now understand a bit about the power of the object editing, and I like it!

I'm wondering about which upgrade to go for: the classic or the pro. The pro is very much more expensive, and for me, the critical value point concerns whether or not the analog modelling suite is worth the extra money.

An alternative would be the get the classic and buy one of the other hot analog modelling plugins, e.g., UAD or even the new focusrite liquid mix box.

Can anyone give me any insight into this choice? -- how do Samp's analog plugins stand up to the competition?

Also -- given I'm an acoustic musician recording just voice and guitar -- are there any other features of the pro version that would truly justify the pro version over the classic?

Echom

Hi

I got Samp SE with Computer Music magazine and I've been trying it out on some imported wav files that I did on my AW16G. The sound quality is excellent, and after an afternoon's work I was able to get the object editing going and work out how to do basic comping. This is the first music software that I've used, so I can't compare it to the alternatives, but I do now understand a bit about the power of the object editing, and I like it!

I'm wondering about which upgrade to go for: the classic or the pro. The pro is very much more expensive, and for me, the critical value point concerns whether or not the analog modelling suite is worth the extra money.

An alternative would be the get the classic and buy one of the other hot analog modelling plugins, e.g., UAD or even the new focusrite liquid mix box.

Can anyone give me any insight into this choice? -- how do Samp's analog plugins stand up to the competition?

Also -- given I'm an acoustic musician recording just voice and guitar -- are there any other features of the pro version that would truly justify the pro version over the classic?

Echom

Anyone's answer will be highly subjective in my opinion for justifying spending an extra $500-600 between Samp Classic and Samp Pro.

What are you musically trying to do?

Record acoustic guitar parts and vocals with harmonies etc via your PC??

What are you musically trying to do?

Record acoustic guitar parts and vocals with harmonies etc via your PC??

Yes I record songs for just voice and acoustic guitar -- no harmonies and no other instruments. Because of this the voice and guitar have to sound rich and full -- that's why I'd like the benefit of some excellent plugin analog compression.

Echom

I would suggest that you buy the cheapest Samplitude version (even on Ebay) and then upgrade if you need the facilities offered by the more expensive versions. See here for a comparison of features of the various versions.

I myself use the Professional version, but only because it does surround sound. However, I have no use whatsoever for the bells and whistles of the included FX plugins or MIDI, since I am recording classical music. I find Room Simulator to be excellent.

david

Yes I record songs for just voice and acoustic guitar -- no harmonies and no other instruments. Because of this the voice and guitar have to sound rich and full -- that's why I'd like the benefit of some excellent plugin analog compression.

Echom

I would take David-P's advice and get the lowest price version I could find. I just recently purchased Samp 8.31 and its way more than I need. Can't decide on getting Samp 9 yet but Samp Pro would be luxirious overkill for what I need even though I use the following:

Samp 8.31

Boss GT-3 guitar Effects Processor

Zoom 506 II Bass Effects Processor

Roland XP-10 midi Keyboard

Microphone

Roland Monitor speakers

All pushed through my Delta 1010LT sound card. Its a great little home studio for me and i'll take the pros on any day!!! :blink: ,but with Samp 8 its *VERY* powerful.

With what you're doing; for $1000, i'd get Samp 8/9 Classic and a good sound card (i'm partial to my Delta) then head over to Sasha's site and download the freebies and you'll have way more than what it sounds like you need plus serious room for growth.

As far as 'analog compression' goes you'd have a hard time convincing me wth all the effects in Samp that you couldn't tweak your sound the way you like without paying extra $$ for any specific 'analog compressor' and/or the one in Samp Pro. Fire up your copy of Samp SE 8.31 and look at all those effects under "Real Time and Offline Effects".

Object Dynamics

Advanced Dynamics

Object Multiband Dynamics

All have adjustable inline Compression settings

Then take your significant other out for dinner and a movie with the $$ you saved. :(

Hi

Echom

Make sure you look at the time streeching features of the classic version. TS is something most companies make you pay more for.