rdolmat

Scoring To Video

Hi folks...

I've been lurking for a while here. I use Cubase SX 3 now but I'm very interested in Sam 9's video features. How much better/worse is scoring to avi/qt in sam 9 VS cubase SX3?

Anyone have experience with both? ie: hitpoints, video file/codec support, audio layback etc...

thanks!

Hi folks...

I've been lurking for a while here. I use Cubase SX 3 now but I'm very interested in Sam 9's video features. How much better/worse is scoring to avi/qt in sam 9 VS cubase SX3?

Anyone have experience with both? ie: hitpoints, video file/codec support, audio layback etc...

thanks!

Awesome. Thanks folks.

:)

Sorry dude, busy time of year i guess,

Im coming from Scoring with SX3 to Samp and i found Samp to be alot more stable and solid in that department. It definately handles diff. video formats and Hardware overlay alot better that SX.

That said the drawbacks are.. that one cant move the video around in Samp and only 1 file per VIP.. unless you go for Sequoia ,which now has a dedicated Video track that is much more flexible...

You can make "markers" for your hitpoints .."audio layback"..not sure what you mean by that.. everything syncs up.

Hope this helps, Best, Rich

Sorry dude, busy time of year i guess,

Im coming from Scoring with SX3 to Samp and i found Samp to be alot more stable and solid in that department. It definately handles diff. video formats and Hardware overlay alot better that SX.

That said the drawbacks are.. that one cant move the video around in Samp and only 1 file per VIP.. unless you go for Sequoia ,which now has a dedicated Video track that is much more flexible...

You can make "markers" for your hitpoints .."audio layback"..not sure what you mean by that.. everything syncs up.

Hope this helps, Best, Rich

Thanks Rich...I really appreciate that.

When I say audio layback, I mean putting your final mixed audio back onto the same video file (similar to SX's non-working "add audio to video file".)

So is there a way to do pre-roll though? If Sam only lets you import the video track, I assume it starts at bar 1:1:1, but can we do a minus time for pre-roll (ie: start the Sam project at -99:1:1)?

Happy New Year!

Hi,

Yea, there is a "replace audio in Video " type feature in Samps Media Link. Ive never actually had to use it but i assume it does the same thing as SX`s.

"So is there a way to do pre-roll though? If Sam only lets you import the video track, I assume it starts at bar 1:1:1, but can we do a minus time for pre-roll (ie: start the Sam project at -99:1:1)?"

Yea, sort of.. like, you can do a metronome precount for as long as you like before 1.1.1. But you can`t physically see the preroll space before 1.1.1. unless you create a midi object to do so.

I`d love to be able to at least tell Samp where i want my AVI to start on the time line.. even if your limited to only 1 file per VIP without a dedicated Video track. Maybe theres is a way but i havent had time to figure it out..

Like i was saying, Samps Video function is really limited but what it does is very solid ive found . In SX there was more functionality.. but i found it to be extremely flaky.

Happy new year! Best Rich

When I received Samp. 9, the package also included Magix Movie Edit Pro 11.

I'm still doing trials, but since MEP is the video editor, I'm testing going back and forth.

Their Video Deluxe 10 had an 'audio extension' sync. feature for linking the two apps, but I could never really get it to sync. correctly. (Probably my system more than the apps.).

So, with seemless audio editing between the apps. (rather than just monitoring the video inside Samplitude), THEN we're talking about a mighty powerful application.

Maybe Samplitude X (in two years?) will be a full blown merger between MEP, Video Deluxe and Samplitude Pro. ???

Greg

Hi Greg ,

So your saying that MEP11 isn`t any better at syncing to audio with Samp than 10 was?

Best, Rich

In my experience, MEP 11 has NO sync. capability, and MEP10 only had it with the add-on extension feature that Magix sold separately for a brief time.

I'm still investigating whether or not there is even a way to do it via MTC.

As it is, MEP, for the price, is a great video editor, and it already includes a 'Samplitude lite' audio editing engine anyways, so why not just take the extra step and migrate 'basic' video functionality into Samp.?

It would be NICE if Magix worked this out so that my friends at the high-end studios in LA and San Diego (currently Protools and Nuendo for commercial video production) can see what Samplitude is really capable of.

I'll poke around on the Video Deluxe and MEP forums to see if anyone has really worked this out or not.

Greg

Seems like they could be linked via Re-wire , if the Dev. would impliment it in MEP.. surprised it hasn`t been done yet. Unless theres a drawback that we`re unaware of.. B)

Best Rich

Seems like they could be linked via Re-wire , if the Dev. would impliment it in MEP.. surprised it hasn`t been done yet. Unless theres a drawback that we`re unaware of.. ;)

Best Rich

hmmm.....It seems Sam 9's video syncing capablilities are much more basic than should be (for a $1000 program). There is no way to make sure the video stays sample accurate to the vip, or have a video track in the vip with frame pics in the track. Can we make hitpoints to calculate tempo in between smpte times?

Sorry I'm a Sequoia user, but doesn't Samp 9 still have the old Medialink? If so, load your video in there and you should see cue frames in the top of your VIP. Note, as memory serves me from Ver 7 and 8, there are a few video formats that won't show up in the timeline. MPEG-2 is one, I think, although even with that you'll get the preview window.

The video will start at the 0 point of your VIP. If you need to run your audio to a different time, specify a session Time Code offset.

Sequoia's video handling is different. In Sequoia, your video can be moved around the VIP to any location desired.

--Ben

>I`d love to be able to at least tell Samp where i want my AVI to start on the time line.. even if your limited >to only 1 file per VIP without a dedicated Video track. Maybe theres is a way but i havent had time to >figure it out..

There's a offset parameter in the media link window, which does exactly this.

You can set positve or negative offsets there.

>or have a video track in the vip with frame pics in the track

Usually you've got a display of video frames in the timeline.

MPG2 is the exception, since there's no own video reader for it

in Samplitude, we're just using DirectShow for displaying the video

here. Sequoia in contrary comes with several of the MEP codecs, so

you've got direct access to MPG2 there.

Regards,

Volker

Hey! It's working...looks nice!

But, I'm trying to get a 3 sec pre roll before the vid, so I can put a 2-pop in there. What's the best way to offset the VIP so I get -59:59:57:00 then do a midnight rollover and then get the video starting on 00:00:00:00? Or better yet, at hour 1 (01:00:00:00)

I guess there's also no way to get the scrub working properly with the vid? Right now, as I scrub back and pause, the vid starts playing forward again (even if I have the scrub still)....

Still working at it folks...thanks for all the help!

Or better yet, at hour 1 (01:00:00:00)

as volker said:

There's a offset parameter in the media link window, which does exactly this.

You can set positve or negative offsets there.

so you can have your start or bip or first image beginning at 01:00:00:00.

BTW, in the project properties you can set snap and grid to SMPTE frame, so that cursor goes from frame to frame (and simply disable snap to grid when you want to make edits not to frame).

Best regards,

Laurent.

I've tried that, (using -00:00:03:00 in the media link window) and the video kept starting around 00:00:01:00 instead of 00:00:03:00...and the time display for the VIP was still showing 00:00:00:00 as the beginning too...

I'll have to keep trying...

;)

Normally, you should not have a VIP offset, only one in the media manager.

calculate it to have either you 1st frame, or bip or start at 01:00:00:00.

If I remeber correctly, when you enter the new offset in the media manager, you have to make sure it is well "entered" (clicking "enter" maybe), before closing the media manager, as some times it may not be taken into account (old memory, as now I use Sequoia, a bit different).

the vip will still begin at 00:00:00:00, but who cares? it is even better like that.

I'm trying to get a 3 sec pre roll before the vid, so I can put a 2-pop in there

If by pop you are meaning a bip of 1 frame of 1 kHz, it is more often 2 seconds before 1st frame (so if 1st frame is at 01:00:00:00, the bip is at 00:59:58:00). And normally it should be already on the video as a black before the actual film, with a "start" image 10 sec before 1st frame, and a "1000" or white (etc..) frame at the bip.

Hope it helps,

Laurent.

Normally, you should not have a VIP offset, only one in the media manager.

calculate it to have either you 1st frame, or bip or start at 01:00:00:00.

If I remeber correctly, when you enter the new offset in the media manager, you have to make sure it is well "entered" (clicking "enter" maybe), before closing the media manager, as some times it may not be taken into account (old memory, as now I use Sequoia, a bit different).

the vip will still begin at 00:00:00:00, but who cares? it is even better like that.

I'm trying to get a 3 sec pre roll before the vid, so I can put a 2-pop in there

If by pop you are meaning a bip of 1 frame of 1 kHz, it is more often 2 seconds before 1st frame (so if 1st frame is at 01:00:00:00, the bip is at 00:59:58:00). And normally it should be already on the video as a black before the actual film, with a "start" image 10 sec before 1st frame, and a "1000" or white (etc..) frame at the bip.

Hope it helps,

Laurent.

Thanks Laurent. Yeah, the 2-pop is at -2sec before first frame, but I also wanted a 1 sec pre-roll before the 2-pop, hence 2sec+1sec= 3sec ;)

sometimes I get clients that have no clue about 2-pops, so I throw one on the audio track anyway and tell them to set it at 2 sec b4 first frame.