SEA

Samplitude, Cubase Sx 3.1, Mastering Question

Hello Forum!

I just joined the forum and I am a 3 year Cubase user. I'm currently release some CD's and want the best mix and sound possible.

My biggest issue is with dithering. I know that most of these software sound very good now (like Sonar 6) but exploring the different dithering techniques and plugs, I was looking into the POW-r and heard it's very good (Bob Katz likes it too.)

Cubase SX 3.1 has the UV22hr which is a bit noisy. Now Sonar 6 has the POW-r so I was thinking about picking it up. However since Samplitude has the POW-r, now I'm taking a closer look at Samplitude.

So... if anyone has any thoughts regarding the quality of sound, the features of Samplitude vs. Sonar, Cubase SX 3.1, please feel free to share your thoughts and educate me a bit. :)

Jamie SEA :rolleyes:

Hi Jamie,

Dithering - POW-r usually loses when tested against R8Brain which is a stand alone software converter.

Having said that though the difference is very small.

Samplitudes mastering capabilities are second to none (apart from Sequoia of course) and I can highly recommend spending some time using the object editor to become accustomed to its pure power.

Cheers

M

Hi Jamie,

Dithering - POW-r usually loses when tested against R8Brain which is a stand alone software converter.

Having said that though the difference is very small.

Samplitudes mastering capabilities are second to none (apart from Sequoia of course) and I can highly recommend spending some time using the object editor to become accustomed to its pure power.

Cheers

M

Thanks Martin! I'll look into R8Brain. That's by VOXENGO correct? :)

Does else have any comments they can share between SX 3 and Samplitude?

Jamie

I think the POW-R is still a good dithering algo. Samp also has its own "Triangular spread noise" setting that is flexible for dithering certian material.

I use Rbrain For SRC .. i found it to be a bit better .

I never could get used to SX`s overall sound..fine for Electronica ,Techno etc.. but for other stuff.. Samp is really good.

Sonar, Protools are very "transparent" as well i find.

Best , Rich

I think the POW-R is still a good dithering algo. Samp also has its own "Triangular spread noise" setting that is flexible for dithering certian material.

I use Rbrain For SRC .. i found it to be a bit better .

I never could get used to SX`s overall sound..fine for Electronica ,Techno etc.. but for other stuff.. Samp is really good.

Sonar, Protools are very "transparent" as well i find.

Best , Rich

Thanks Rich for you reply!

You said you use Rbrain for SRC? I'm sorry, but what do you mean by SRC?

Currently I'm producing a series of solo piano cd's using samples like White Grand, TBO, and pads and strings from other VSTi's and soft synths.

I'll also be cutting some jazz with vocals and live guitars in the near future. I'll also being doing more blended music like Sting, Seal, etc.

Thanks again,

Jamie

P.S. SRC... do you mean sample rate converson?

Hi jamie,

Sounds like your doing some good stuff ! Samp should be great for all that..

Yea, SRC = Sample rate convertion.

For eg. The way i use it is .. Do my Stereo mixs in Samp . in 32 bit float 44.1 (+ some very basic mastering). Then need to send those files to diff. post -productions houses . Which need to be imported in Avids andd then PT for the final mixs.. so they need to be 48k.

I`ll use Rbrain for that SRC.. then i go back into Samp and do a batch convertion down to 16-bit with POW-R dithering...

That way i end up with 16-bit 48k files for film. It seems like a pretty clean way to do it.

Best , Rich

Yeah - sorry for confusing things - SRC is not dithereing so I compared apples to pears there - its good wine anyway!

Merry Christmas.

Cheers

M