Doublehelix

Mackie Control Template

Does anyone have a map of the Mackie Control surface? For example, which buttons do what? I know there is not a formal template overlay available (yet?), but I am having a tough time figuring out what the buttons do (if anything).

Thanks, and sorry for all the noobie questions.

Does anyone have a map of the Mackie Control surface? For example, which buttons do what? I know there is not a formal template overlay available (yet?), but I am having a tough time figuring out what the buttons do (if anything).

Thanks, and sorry for all the noobie questions.

:rolleyes:

I've been wondering that forever too! It seems like no one here uses the MCU.

There used to be a thorough detailed description of what the Mackie controlled it with Samplitude on the Samplitude website but I can't seem to find any more. Maybe you should e-mail proservice@magix.net or edmyer@magix.net and maybe they will send you the original text .

Regards

Kraznet

Also I found this http://forums.mackie.com/scripts/forum/ult...ic;f=3;t=001015

http://support.magix.net/areas/samplitude/us/mc.php

http://support.magix.net/areas/samplitude/us/mc1.gif

The info on PAN automation is incorrect - hold down the SNAPSHOT button while panning for automation. I haven't figured out AUX SEND automation yet. TIPS ANYONE?

I was playing around last night with a remix for a song with about 28 tracks, and I ran into some "unexpected MCU behavior".

I have the Mackie Control and 2 XT units for a total of 24 faders. I have them set up left-to-right so that the main control unit is on the right, with the 2 XT units to the left like this:

XT -> XT -> MCU

When the project first loads, I can see the first 24 tracks displayed correctly from left-to-right. So far, so good. But then when I hit the Bank Shift button, instead of shifting everything 8 channels to the left as I expected it to do, it cleared all the faders, and showed only 4 tracks on the furthest left-most XT unit, with the middle XT and Main MCU turning blank (empty).

When using this same setup in Cubase SX, the tracks would scroll 8 tracks to the left to display the next set of tracks that exceeded the 24 track limit. If there were only 4 tracks remaining to show (in a 28 track project like this one), it would scroll to the end of the list (4 tracks instead of 8). The main difference being that there are ALWAYS 24 tracks showing up as being available at all times.

This is very difficult to explain, but hopefully, you got the gist of it. Can anyone help me here?

Also, one other thing for you Mackie Control experts: Is there any way to disable to fader position digit display from the scribble strips and only display the track name? The screen is so cluttered, it is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance!

hi d-helix

i can explain the bank swich phenomenon:

the controllers (mcu + xt + xt) you use in samplitude work as if they were one controller with 24 faders. if you swich the bank it will step at 24-tracks pace.

there is no convenient way to disable printing the value on the scribble strip. maybe this is an option some other would appreciate too. we have not heard anyone asking for it yet.

ciao

I find the numeric display is pretty worthless, because it does not update realtime when mixing. I need to watch the faders/values on the screen if I want to see numbers. My PC's no speed demon, perhaps that contributes, but I'd like to see numbers that work rather than no numbers at all.

hi d-helix

i can explain the bank swich phenomenon:

the controllers (mcu + xt + xt) you use in samplitude work as if they were one controller with 24 faders. if you swich the bank it will step at 24-tracks pace.

there is no convenient way to disable printing the value on the scribble strip. maybe this is an option some other would appreciate too. we have not heard anyone asking for it yet.

ciao

Thank you for your response. If I may, I would like to provide some feedback that will hopefully be of some use to you.

I am just used to working with the Mackie Control with Cubase SX, and the new paradigm is a bit difficult to get used to.

The bank over switch is designed to move 8 tracks at a time in most implementations that I have seen, even when more than one unit is used. It would be nice to have the *option* to go with 8 faders *or* 24 faders.

Also, even if the system worked as a 24-fader bank, it would be nice if just slid the tracks to the last track in the project rather than clearing the system and treating them like multiple, independent sets of 24 faders.

As I mentioned in my original post, when using the MCUs in Cubase, if there are only 4 tracks that are not shown on the MCU (let's say a 28 track project), it would be nice if the fader bank switch just slid the tracks to the left or right by the number of unshown tracks, rather than by the full bank of 24.

In this example with 28 tracks, a bank shift loses all of the tracks except for the 4 that were "off the end". This means that I have 24 physical faders, but only 4 do anything when I shift banks. Seems weird.

With regard to the scribble strip display:

The MCU implementation in Cubase is much easier to read than in Samplitude. With Samp, each track runs into the next one without any spaces between them. This makes it difficult to quickly find a track. For example, in Cubase, I might have this in the scribble strip display:

kick kick2 snare snabot OH L OH R, etc...

in Samp, it looks like this:

kickkick2snaresnabotOHLOHR, etc.

It is much harder to read and find a specific fader in Samp than it was in Cubase. Then add in the fader position display, and it becomes VERY difficult to decipher.

Thanks for listening!!! :lol:

I will be getting the Mackie controller and one expander for my studio. Hopefully the lads at Magix can address this issues soon.

Good points Doublehelix...

Could you also post this in the Midi section? I want to be sure the Dev team sees it...

Done! In fact, I went into a lot more detail in the following thread:

Mackie Control Suggestions Thread

I am wondering if it belongs in the Midi forum or the hardware forum however??? Anyway, it is in the Midi forum for now, if someone wants to move it, they can have at it!