Sign in to follow this  
Blueberry

Why Is Muting A Section Difficult

Being a former Cubase user this is pretty frustrating. I go to the range button, and start to work on a vocal track. I use my mouse to highlight the section before the singing and then mute it so you won't hear the breathing and background noise. But what Samplitude does when I mute it, it mutes the whole track and not the range section that I have highlighted. Why is this? This does not make sense to me. What am I doing wrong? Also there is no "mute" listed in the index of the manual. Why not?

Being a former Cubase user this is pretty frustrating. I go to the range button, and start to work on a vocal track. I use my mouse to highlight the section before the singing and then mute it so you won't hear the breathing and background noise.

In samplitude, you can only mute tracks or objects. There are no separare "mute ranges", but rather it's all done with objects.

One option is to split the vocal take object around the selected range (Object->Split Objects) and then mute the newly created one (Objects->Mute Objects).

However, it's alot easier and faster to rely on nondestructive editing and simply remove the section of your object you wish to silence. Just select a range and press backspace/del to delete the range and split the object. If you later want to fine-tune, simply adjust the edges of the resulting objects.

Note, this is simpler and more exact than mute ranges, since it also lets you use crossfade settings to make smooth transitions.

Hope this helps.

-d

Having never used Cubase, how do you later "un-mute" a range if you find out you've accidentally muted something that you want to keep? I know it's not relate to Samplitude, but I'm just curious. :angry:

-tkr

Having never used Cubase, how do you later "un-mute" a range if you find out you've accidentally muted something that you want to keep? I know it's not relate to Samplitude, but I'm just curious. :P

-tkr

just pick the edge of the object and drag it right or left. This will bring you back what you've just "deleted".

As far as I understand that's the cool thing about object orientated working in SAMP.

Try it!

regards

Anton

Just to amplify Unempty's response: I usually split vocal objects between phrases. You can use his method to clean up noises between phrases. When I'm comping and checking out alternate phrases, I'll use "cntrl-M" to mute or un-mute objects with alternative takes or phrases. This can be very powerful. :P