Editing For Dummies. Please Give A Primer On Crossfades!

redddog

I am an old audio dog with very few tricks.

Could someone give me a lesson on crossfades? What they are, why and when one would use a crossfade and how to do one?

I hear this mentioned all over the place and I really don't know what people are talking about. I do not do much editing at all. I come from the old school, get the whole take right and if you don't, do it again camp. Punching, editing all that stuff, I have very little idea. I understand that this is a BIG part of the capabilities of Samp and by not using them, I'm losing a lot.

So I thought I'd just start with crossfades as the first installment of my new series "unbelievably stupid and obvious questions."

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
I am an old audio dog with very few tricks.

Could someone give me a lesson on crossfades? What they are, why and when one would use a crossfade and how to do one?

I hear this mentioned all over the place and I really don't know what people are talking about. I do not do much editing at all. I come from the old school, get the whole take right and if you don't, do it again camp. Punching, editing all that stuff, I have very little idea. I understand that this is a BIG part of the capabilities of Samp and by not using them, I'm losing a lot.

So I thought I'd just start with crossfades as the first installment of my new series "unbelievably stupid and obvious questions."

Thanks so much.

Not at all stupid and obvious! But your wish is my command etc ... I'm happy to announce that my next Samplitude column in Sound on Sound (July issue I think) will be entirely dedicated to cross-fades in Samplitude: why, where, how ...

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

Not at all stupid and obvious! But your wish is my command etc ... I'm happy to announce that my next Samplitude column in Sound on Sound (July issue I think) will be entirely dedicated to cross-fades in Samplitude: why, where, how ...

Thanks Eric - your SoS columns are much appreciated - just want more of them :)

But - the one thing I HATE about Samplitude is that I will never use about 90% of what it does - and what I DO need is all in Sequoia - so I've just forked out for the upgrade ;)

[

Thanks Eric - your SoS columns are much appreciated - just want more of them :)

But - the one thing I HATE about Samplitude is that I will never use about 90% of what it does - and what I DO need is all in Sequoia - so I've just forked out for the upgrade ;)

That's interesting: I assume then that what you want is the better editing (3/4 point and dedictaed x-fade window) in Sequoia? Well worth the extra money if you're doing serious fine editing (classical - your area I think). Just wondering now if I should put more than a mention in the column about the extra goodies in Sequoia? I said a tiny a bit about it in my review of Samp 9 -

Just what I needed - something else to think about on a Friday evening ... :P

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

That's interesting: I assume then that what you want is the better editing (3/4 point and dedicated x-fade window) in Sequoia?

Yes, that and the DDP DVD burning.

For me it is an extremely expensive option, as I only do this spare time (Sennheiser/Neumann pay the mortgage) and it does not get used that much. Just this year I have a contract to do four piano CDs and I'm spending a large chunk of the money on Sequoia.

It's hugely expensive - but everyone I speak to tells me it's well worth it - so I have bitten the bullet and ordered the upgrade from DACS (not in stock, so I have to wait a week).

Hopefully it will arrive in time so I can burn the DDP DVDs that have to go to the pressing plant later this month (Though I suppose I could chat up out mutual friend IR in HW to do it for me on his system if it doesn't arrive in time). ;)

That's interesting: I assume then that what you want is the better editing (3/4 point and dedicated x-fade window) in Sequoia?

Yes, that and the DDP DVD burning.

For me it is an extremely expensive option, as I only do this spare time (Sennheiser/Neumann pay the mortgage) and it does not get used that much. Just this year I have a contract to do four piano CDs and I'm spending a large chunk of the money on Sequoia.

It's hugely expensive - but everyone I speak to tells me it's well worth it - so I have bitten the bullet and ordered the upgrade from DACS (not in stock, so I have to wait a week).

Hopefully it will arrive in time so I can burn the DDP DVDs that have to go to the pressing plant later this month (Though I suppose I could chat up out mutual friend IR in HW to do it for me on his system if it doesn't arrive in time). ;)

Must be nice to have a `real' job as well! SEQ *is* very well worth the money - and I don't think really all that expensive for the features and the quality. There's NO other native system with its fine editing capabilities, and to match it you'd have to go mega-money for a hardware set up. I wish Magix marketing would understand this!

Glad you're getting your SEQ from DACS - Douglas up there's enthusiasms and helpfulness is another very good thing about Magix in the UK. If IR (aha!) can't help with the DDP, you're welcome to vist here. Bit of a trek from Oxon maybe, but it's a wonderful part of the country so visit the coastline and make a day of it.

If you want to reply off-list: epj21@cam.ac.uk

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

Eric, your SOS articles on Samplitude have been very helpful both in explaining how to do things and also in reassuring me that my "workarounds" are in actual fact how Samp is supposed to be used. ;) I'm looking forward to your next article.

Is it too much to ask that you mention in your articles how MAGIX's low-key marketing and lack of "How-to" manuals and training videos are almost certainly hampering sales of this excellent DAW? The wealth of learning options open to owners of Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar and Logic leave Samp/Seq in the shade.

Eric, your SOS articles on Samplitude have been very helpful both in explaining how to do things and also in reassuring me that my "workarounds" are in actual fact how Samp is supposed to be used. ;) I'm looking forward to your next article.

Is it too much to ask that you mention in your articles how MAGIX's low-key marketing and lack of "How-to" manuals and training videos are almost certainly hampering sales of this excellent DAW? The wealth of learning options open to owners of Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar and Logic leave Samp/Seq in the shade.

Thanks - I'm very glad to get feedback like this.

I think mentioning marketing is beyond the remit of the SOS column - but I agree that getting to know Samp properly takes time, and maybe more effort than should be the case. We're now providing specialized Sequoia training courses (editing and mastering) and hoping that the SOS articles (which are more for Samp than Seq) will become a regular (monthly) fixture. I'm also hoping to post SOS-like articles (but longer) on my company website: real-life accounts of how we use Samp/Seq on various projects which I'm hoping readers will find interesting and educational.

My own worry about Magix marketing is mainly that the dual-programme approach means that potential buyers tend to see Samp/Seq on par with Cubase/Nuendo - which is (obviously!) wrong. Samplitude is a high-end product - I speak as an ex-Pro-tools person; and Sequoia is even higher (I speak as a current SADiE and Pyramix user too). Why we use more than one platform is probably the subject of a future article!

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

We're now providing specialized Sequoia training courses (editing and mastering)

Tell me more..... ;)

We're now providing specialized Sequoia training courses (editing and mastering)

Tell me more..... ;)

O.k. - The editing is aimed at the classical music editor, but it's a highly transferrable skill! We go through the basic of music editing theory and then a lot of practical advice on fade placing, shapes and duration. We use illustrative examples from our own work - everything from choral and organ through string quartets to solo vocal. Each genre presents a specific challenge, a problem to overcome and a skill to acquire. (ooh - hope that didn't sound too spin-speaky).

The mastering is broader, but, again, we concentrate on one main area (music with an acoustic bias) on the assumption that skills learned there are applicable much more widely. We have great inboard and outboard processors (analogue and digital) including Algorithmix, Cranesong, Pendulum, Weiss and a t.c. 6000 and use these to go through advanced use of EQ, compression, reverb/ambience creation, and Noise reduction. If requested we can limit (no pun intended) the processors to just Sequioa included plug-ins (after v.9) - not *all* that much of a limitation, and a real eye-opener for someone who wants to start a high quality mastering set-up on a limited budget!

It's all very relaxed - this is Suffolk after all - and the content is client-driven - we teach people to do what they need to be able to do.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

I would like to throw my $.02 and thank Eric as well for the fine articles on Samplitude in SOS, looking forward to seeing more! After reading his comments about the training that he offers, makes , me wish I lived nearby, because I would love to be able to take advantage of them. I, like many, wish there were some good instructional materail for Samp, especially some DVD type instruction where you can see/hear in real time. I would pay good money for DVDs on Mastering, Editing......

I would like to throw my $.02 and thank Eric as well for the fine articles on Samplitude in SOS.....

Yes, I'm looking forward to the next one in the next issue of SOS.

Having had a good talk with Eric, I hope to go over to his place for a personal training session (after my Sequoia upgrade arrives).

Cool Eric.

I wonder how receptive Magix would be to you just doing a video of one of your sessions? You could make a butt-load off a reasonably well done video series on Samp/Seq.

If there was one thing that people would ask for (among current users) I'd bet the farm that is was proper manuals/instruction on how to take advantage of this great program. There is astoundingly little available now.

Could you suggest a method to obtain all the previous SOS articles you've done?

Thanks man. I'll make sure to grab the new July one.

Cool Eric.

I wonder how receptive Magix would be to you just doing a video of one of your sessions? You could make a butt-load off a reasonably well done video series on Samp/Seq.

If there was one thing that people would ask for (among current users) I'd bet the farm that is was proper manuals/instruction on how to take advantage of this great program. There is astoundingly little available now.

Could you suggest a method to obtain all the previous SOS articles you've done?

Thanks man. I'll make sure to grab the new July one.

Hello Danny - well, the UK distributor and I have been discussing this option recently, so I'll let you know how it goes! The Samp column in SOS is new, so there's no great backlog as yet: I need to point out too that I mis-spoke in my earlier mesage - the X-fades article is probably not now going to be published until the September issue - there's a long lead-time, and I've been ultra-busy with other work recently (including non-Samp SOS reviews). If there is enough of a call for it though, I'm thinking of writing up some real-life hands-on Samp/Seq articles (what we did, how we did it) for publishing on my company web-site.

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

..... I mis-spoke in my earlier mesage - the X-fades article is probably not now going to be published until the September issue - .....

:P

Well it wasn't in the July issue just received. :D

Let's just hope that SOS will put it in the August issue instead of the September issue.