Extreme Newb Here.

roger/gitarre

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely inexperienced with DAW software and Computer interfaces. I purchased an RME 800 which came with Samplitude SE. Could someone direct me to a site or a manual that pretty much starts at the beginning. I've connected the interface to firewire and installed Samplitude SE. The Drivers for the RME are installed. I need really basic help. Just to record a track of electric guitar or a mic. You are talking to the lamest of the lame. Nothing is too basic. :P

Thanks,

roger

RME 800, Samplitude SE, 2 gig Corsair XMS RAM, MSI K8 mobo, AMD dual core 4800, Realtek 97 onboard audio card, Nvidia 7800 GT graphics card, Zalman heatsink, Sennheiser e8155 mic, Fender Strat, Yamaha classical. And yes I bought a couple of those really inexpensive matched Behringer condenser mics until I buy an MBHO 410-440 :unsure:

Assuming you have all the software that came with the rme 800 installed just plug into 1 of the mic pre's on the front

make sure you have a track armed in samp also RECM needs to be active on the transprot ,now set your record levels using the RME software ( mine is fireface settings ) youl find this under the input gain tab of the fireface settings ,once you have a good level just press record and you recording. OH almost forgot if you press y & I you can set your bit depth, Drivers, and sample rate to what you like. This should at least get you started.

And yes I also have a pair of those behringer mics :unsure: they certainly arn't top shelf but for the price there great!

Have fun :P

Assuming you have all the software that came with the rme 800 installed just plug into 1 of the mic pre's on the front

make sure you have a track armed in samp also RECM needs to be active on the transprot ,now set your record levels using the RME software ( mine is fireface settings ) youl find this under the input gain tab of the fireface settings ,once you have a good level just press record and you recording. OH almost forgot if you press y & I you can set your bit depth, Drivers, and sample rate to what you like. This should at least get you started.

And yes I also have a pair of those behringer mics :lol: they certainly arn't top shelf but for the price there great!

Have fun :o

Hi Wolffman,

Thank you for the answer. I have a senn e8155 mic plugged in and I see the bar moving but I don't hear anything. I plugged into the front RME "ONE" Speaker emulation slot. Would that be different from the "ONE" preamp on the back 1-8 balanced line level inputs? Anyhow I'll try both. What does the In and the Out on the track have to be set to? That is all I can ask right now.

Thanks again for the help. :lol:

Roger

What version of SE do you have 8 or 9 ?. I have V8-se, in V8 the track is routed to stereo master and the master is routed to whatever outs you have your monitors pluged in. If you have V9 then i'm unsure, but it would be very similar. The other thing is if you have a Fireface 800 then you have the totalmix software mixer this is were you set the level to your monitors, headphones for playback or tracking.

Hope this all makes sense :o

What version of SE do you have 8 or 9 ?. I have V8-se, in V8 the track is routed to stereo master and the master is routed to whatever outs you have your monitors pluged in. If you have V9 then i'm unsure, but it would be very similar. The other thing is if you have a Fireface 800 then you have the totalmix software mixer this is were you set the level to your monitors, headphones for playback or tracking.

Hope this all makes sense :o

Thanks again for your response:

I have version 8.3 SE. Bit more difficult than I thought. (Actually i thought it would be difficult and was considering external recording hardware which seems easier to me). I don't even get where to plug the headphone in to be honest. The desktop speaker or the interface. Also the helpfiles all go to Sequoia information.

There are a lot of choices for input, These are the little boxes on each track:

RECORD

FORCE MONITORING (Grayed out)

REALTEK AC97 audio

FIREFACE ANALOG (1-2)

FIREFACE ANALOG (3-4)

FIREFACE ANALOG (5-6)

FIREFACE ANALOG (7-8)

FIREFACE ANALOG (9-10)

FIREFACE SPDIF

FIREFACE ADAT1 (1-2)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (3-4)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (5-6)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (7-8)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (1-2)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (3-4)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (5-6)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (7-8)

MODEM LINE #0 record

MODEM LINE #0 record

(CHECKED)Stereo

Mono

Mono (Mix)

(CHECKED) Audio Record

Midi Record

For Output, all are the same except that Realtek AC97 has "stereo master" next to it.

REALTEK AC97 audio (Stereo Master)

FIREFACE ANALOG (1-2)

FIREFACE ANALOG (3-4)

FIREFACE ANALOG (5-6)

FIREFACE ANALOG (7-8)

FIREFACE ANALOG (9-10)

FIREFACE SPDIF

FIREFACE ADAT1 (1-2)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (3-4)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (5-6)

FIREFACE ADAT1 (7-8)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (1-2)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (3-4)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (5-6)

FIREFACE ADAT2 (7-8)

MODEM LINE #0 record

MODEM LINE #0 record

MIDI > (CHECKED) 1.Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

2. Fireface Midi

New Instrument

Not really sure how to use the Fireface Mixer.

Sorry for being such a newb. Really I just want to get some sound out of this to make sure the RME is working. I don't need to do anything other than make sure it works so as to keep it. Otherwise my 30 day trial will expire. Had wasted half of those trial days ordering a PCI card with Firewire connectors. It was easier to do this than try to figure out how to connect the one case firewire.

Thanks for any help.

I don't even get where to plug the headphone in to be honest. The desktop speaker or the interface.

The interface. Use the headphone output on the front of the unit.

There are a lot of choices for input, These are the little boxes on each track:

Which input you select depends on which input on your interface the mic is plugged into.

On the back of the unit you can see the ADAT connectors (right next to the SPDIF connections on the right hand side).

rme_fireface400_fr.jpg

If you are not plugged into the ADAT connectors then you should disable them in Samplitude so you don't see them. To do this open Samplitude and press the "Y" key on your keyboard. This will open the System Options. You should be able to find a list of all your audio devices like what you posted with a check box next to each one.... I don't have v8 installed anymore, but I think this is the first thing that shows up when you press the Y key.

Devices you'll want to disable ("uncheck") for both the inputs and outputs

** NOTE: ONLY disable them IF you're not using them:

- ALL of the FIREFACE ADAT

- FIREFACE SPDIF (this is another connection on the back of the fireface)

- REALTEK AC97 audio (this is your onboard sound from the motherboard)

- MODEM LINE #0 record (you will never use this for recording (EVER) so go ahead and disable this one)

** If you decide later on that you want to use one of these other inputs/outputs, you can re-enable these devices at any time.

Once you disable all of these devices your choices for inputs and outputs in Samplitude will show only the analog inputs and outputs. So your menus will be greatly uncluttered. The analog inputs and outputs are your regular input/out connections. 8 of the analog inputs in Samplitude correspond to the 4 inputs on the front of the Fireface (labeled 1-4) and the 4 "Balanced line inputs" on the back (labeled 5-8). The analog outputs correspond to the 6 "Balanced line outputs" on the back of the Fireface and probably the headphones as well. Analog 9 and 10 may correspond to the SPDIF so you can ignore those two (or disable them as mentioned above if you don't want to see them).

(CHECKED)Stereo

Mono

Mono (Mix)

Checking the "Stereo" option will group the inputs in pairs of two, like you posted above:

FIREFACE ANALOG (1-2)

FIREFACE ANALOG (3-4)

FIREFACE ANALOG (5-6)

FIREFACE ANALOG (7-8)

Checking the "Mono" option will show each input individually like below.

FIREFACE ANALOG (1)

FIREFACE ANALOG (2)

FIREFACE ANALOG (3)

FIREFACE ANALOG (4)

etc....

Check the Mono option, since you are using "one" input for your mic.

** An example of when you'd use the stereo inputs is when recording a stereo (right and left) source like a keyboard, you could plug the left and right output into inputs 1 and 2 and record this as a stereo pair so both of the right and left keyboard outputs are recorded onto one stereo track.

All of the inputs and outputs are numbered on Fireface, so all you have to do is choose the number of the input that you plug your mic into as your input in Samplitude. The same applies to the outputs. Whichever outputs your speakers are plugged into, you just choose those as the output in Samplitude. To do this open the mixer in Samplitude (open a project and press the mixer button at the bottom of the screen) then on the far right of the mixer under the two master faders you will see a place do choose your sound card output.

It does not matter which analog input or outputs you plug into just as long as you choose the correct input/output in Samplitude.

That should do it for getting your Fireface connected. :lol:

Not really sure how to use the Fireface Mixer.

Sorry, can't help there as I don't have the Fireface.... But hopefully the rest will be enough to get you going so you can test it out. :o

-tkr

hi,

does this long list of In and Out caused by the using of other drivers than Asio ?

If you choose Asio in Y( samp config panel), you will see only the FF400 In and Out. It becomes more clear ... and more useful ... :lol:

:o

cheers

Phil

Thank you Tekker, really appreciate that. I actually hired someone today for an hour to check out the system. He said exactly what you said regarding the mono, and I will use the nonmono when using a stereo condenser setup, but for now just sticking to mono. We had trouble Getting "Playback while recording" to happen in the headphones. Even with it checked it didn't come on. maybe it was in the mixer as well I fiddled with the RME mixer as well and got it to one ear, left side. I think it might be really quiet in the right, can't tell.

I put my instrument into Analog 7

I set the input on Samplitude Se 8.3 to Analog (7+8) "MONO"

I set the output in Samplitude to Fireface Analog (1+2) Stereo Master (not sure why :lol:) !!!

So now I am at the recording a track phase although Samplitude SE has not responded a bit with heavy delay and distortion, (might have been windows automatic updates :P). Or that the light version of Samplitude does not handle more than 2 effects I believe. But at least I'm tracking stuff :lol:

Playback still seems to be in one ear only on the headset.

But thank you, RME 800 is tested and approved, and will be staying in the house. It sure looks nice. :P

Now I have to decide if the Magix Pro is what I want to upgrade to.

Regarding ASIO Philw, What the heck is ASIO :P and how do I use it? :o :o

Thank you again Wolffman, Tekker, and Philw