Is Sequoia This Good ($$$) Compared To Nuendo?

zblip2

Hi

I work in a high end post prod commercial studio. We use pro tools. I've been lurking arond though for alternatives and found, for instance Nuendo, now in its fourth edition, wich seem to be catching on in big business post. More and more feature movies have been edited and mixed with Nuendo. Now, Sequoia comes along with a price tag 1000$ higher than Nuendo. I say to myself: wow! this program must be awsome. But, as I read info on the product site, there doesn't seem to be arguments there to support Sequoia's superiority over Nuendo (at least price tag wise). I am really curious though.

Here are some thoughts that go through my head about sequoia

- What is Sequoia's target market? Film post, music mix, what is it optimised for?

- If Sequoia so expensive, why then does it share it's its web site in a semi confusing way with samplitude as if both of them had not enough standing to have a web site of there own? Cubase and Nuendo are both made by the same company. Both, though, have very distinct uses and crowds, Cubase is for musicians, Nuendo is for Post Production. Sequoia and Samplitude seem to have the same use.

- I read on the site Sequoia is proud to announce that it now supports quad core processors. I mean wow! Sonar costs 500$ and support eight cores and is already 64bit compatible. Hello???

- Is there a list of productions made with Sequoia, I mean professionals that have trusted Sequoia on real world productions and have achievd success?

- How come sequoia is so unknowned and at the same time so expensive? Shouldn't it be the contrary?

- A part of me says maybe this program is the best out there cause it is so expensive and, you never know, maybe these people have hired a genius programmer and all. But at the same time, there is an '' out of the blue'' fealing that emanates from sequoya.

- The name Magix. I'll be honnest with you, we have an immage problem here. I once bought a video editing program from Magix. It was a cheapo consumer product. Magix. It sounds too magical. There isn't anyting ''magix'' about taking the decision to buy a 3000$ program and putting all you hopes into it for being the center block of your studio.

- I am afraid that if I buy this product, there will come a time where I will nead a certain fonction (like frame rate pull down or whatever) and it won't be there and I'll be f!"%d.

- What is Sequoia's target market? Film post, music mix, what is it optimised for?

Someone else will have to answer this - from my point of view its the equal of SADiE at 20% of the price.

- If Sequoia so expensive, why then does it share it's its web site in a semi confusing way with samplitude as if both of them had not enough standing to have a web site of there own?

Samplitude and Sequoia share the same engine and many questions are pertinent to both - just that Sequoia has extras way and above Samplitude.

- Is there a list of productions made with Sequoia, I mean professionals that have trusted Sequoia on real world productions and have achieved success?

I don't have a list but know very well respected engineers trust Sequoia over the others - that's why I bought it in the first place.

- How come sequoia is so unknown and at the same time so expensive? Shouldn't it be the contrary?

It's the price it is because of what it does -

- A part of me says maybe this program is the best out there cause it is so expensive and, you never know, maybe these people have hired a genius programmer and all. But at the same time, there is an '' out of the blue'' feeling that emanates from sequoia.

Sequoia has been around for quite a while and is very well respected by those in the know.

- The name Magix. I'll be honest with you, we have an image problem here. I once bought a video editing program from Magix. It was a cheapo consumer product. Magix. It sounds too magical. There isn't anything ''magix'' about taking the decision to buy a 3000$ program and putting all you hopes into it for being the centre block of your studio.

Many companies do this - have both top and bottom end products. I think the history was that Magix bought Samplitude / Sequoia from Sek'd in the same way as Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium as they had the money to progress it fully.

- I am afraid that if I buy this product, there will come a time where I will need a certain function (like frame rate pull down or whatever) and it won't be there and I'll be f!"%d.

I don't think you will be disappointed, but thers will need to go through this bit with you.

For classical music editing, Sequoia has the finest editor out there, equal to SADiE but much cheaper.

I certainly would not touch any of the others - personally I rejected both Pro Tools and Nuendo for what I want to do.

Depends on the kind of post work you're working with... Sequoia has a few strengths and a few weaknesses- some of which are being addressed in the new version 10 release.

Traditionally, Sequoia's timecode sync abilities weren't great, but with Ver 10 supporting native LTC sync, that is changing. The timecode I/O is now on an audio card rather than having to convert to MTC. I know they have also improved the ASIO Positioning Protocol which helps substantially with cards like the RME AES and MADI cards.

There are some great video features- being able to place multiple clips inside the VIP is probably the biggest one. Also, the object mixing format allows for a lot fo stuff that is needed in a post environment- being able to place processes in very limited portions of the session without having to resort to an exploding track count or difficult automation. Place a plug on an object and move on with your life.

You can also non-destructively place audio clips of any format and sample rate in your session. Say you get MP3s emailed to you of some sound effects and they need to send .wav files later. You can get started by dropping those MP3s in your 48K session and everything resamples on the fly. You can place 24/192K next to a 16/44.1 next to an MP3.

Still the weakest place in the post studio for Sequoia is 9-pin support. There is some support for it using MMC, but it is not full featured and not great.

For the mastering studio, Sequoia is one of the best- the crossfade editor and editing interface cannot be beat and you can use the DDP generator for sending masters to replication.

I guess in the end, like any software, Sequoia is great and has its strengths and weaknesses. The few weaknesses are addressed regularly by Magix in feature updates.

--Ben