Soundcard Option

stereotype

9.12 Newbie here..........reading through the forum and waiting on V10 to arrive.

As I read, I'd like to ask a question. What is considered to be the optimum choice of I/O for Samplitude. I've been using it ASIO through my Digi 002. And while it actually sounds better through the Digi interface than Pro Tools does, I'm not sure I have confindence in the ASIO thing. I get a lot of sluggish starts and errors. Just letting Samplitude play out the generic soundcard in the computer, I don't see those happen.

I realize I need to make up my own mind and opinions are subject to everyone's personal preference. I don't do a lot of recording; mostly mixing. So lots of input/output doesn't really matter to me; although that could change. That being said though, I'm just curious..... as I explore my I/O options, is there something that's generally considered to be the top a far as a straightforward I/O?

Thanks

Greetings and welcome to Samplitude. Asking a question like this is like asking "what's the best car to get"? A better option might be to get a budget in mind and then ask "what's the best in this budget. Off the top of my head the Benchmark DA is awesome and you can't go wrong but many cant afford $850 for stereo out only. Give us a budget and I'll be glad to give my .02

again welcome

Jeff

9.12 Newbie here..........reading through the forum and waiting on V10 to arrive.

As I read, I'd like to ask a question. What is considered to be the optimum choice of I/O for Samplitude. I've been using it ASIO through my Digi 002. And while it actually sounds better through the Digi interface than Pro Tools does, I'm not sure I have confindence in the ASIO thing. I get a lot of sluggish starts and errors. Just letting Samplitude play out the generic soundcard in the computer, I don't see those happen.

I find RME products to work with Samplitude without problems, and I find ASIO to work just fine with both my FF400 and FF800. These are firewire devices, but RME also makes cards that go in the computer. Technical support is excellent. Look at their website.

david

Greetings and welcome to Samplitude. Asking a question like this is like asking "what's the best car to get"? A better option might be to get a budget in mind and then ask "what's the best in this budget. Off the top of my head the Benchmark DA is awesome and you can't go wrong but many cant afford $850 for stereo out only. Give us a budget and I'll be glad to give my .02

again welcome

Jeff

Yes. I know. I tried to explain that i realized it's a vague question but I'm sure that wasn't clear. Your car anaolgy works pretty good. So using that, I guess what I'm asking is this. Regardless of cost and personal preference, a Lexus is "generally" considered to be better than a Toyota Corolla, even though they are from the same manufacturer. Both will get you there and do just fine. But given a choice, most would choose the Lexus over the Corolla.

So I guess what I'm asking is if, regardless of cost, is there something "generally" considered top of the line? If money were no object, what would you have what you have or get something else for I/O?

The suggestion of the Benchmark is helpful. I'll check that out. I understand the point of it being expensive considering it's only stereo out. But since I mostly just mix, that's an option for me.

Thanks

Bear with me. I'm aware there are many factors that make answering my question vague. It's just that i've been a Pro Tools user for so long, I'm not accustommed to having so many choices. Ultimately I would make up my own mind. But how do you resaonably compare something like this?

In general, it is hard to go wrong with either RME or Lynx. They probably have the best sounding interfaces with the best support and best quality drivers. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Just depends on what you want feature-wise.

Having a good after-market D-A is a very good idea. You rely on monitoring for all your decissions. Make sure you are making those choices based on what is in the DAW, not what you think you're hearing (this goes for speakers as well). There are several ~$1000 D-A boxes out there that sound really good- Benchmark, Lavry, and Mytek. The benchmark and Lavry have headphone outs on them. Once again, depends on the features you want- you can't go wrong with either.

--Ben

So I guess what I'm asking is if, regardless of cost, is there something "generally" considered top of the line? If money were no object, what would you have what you have or get something else for I/O?

No contest - Prism Orpheus.

I think it's about £2 - 3,000, though.

Otherwise - RME.

I use the RME Fireface 400 (but drool over the Prism) :)

No contest - Prism Orpheus.

John. do you know anyone who's actually tried one? How are the drivers?

I was quite impressed by the ADA 8XL that I had on loan, but I ran it on AES/EBU and never got a chance to try the Firewire interface.

David L. Rick

Seventh String Recording

John. do you know anyone who's actually tried one? How are the drivers?

Not yet - just drooling.

I saw it at the AES in Vienna (Wien).

I think it is on the market now - I know that 0VU (who frequents the Sound On Sound Forum) is due to get one to try from Prism as soon as it's available.

He *does* use Sequoia, but I'm not sure he frequents here; he does know urmeric well.

I will try and find out if he has tried it out yet and what he thinks - my understanding is that it has all the Prism ADA quality at a much lower cost than their other units.

I'm too scared to try it - knowing that if I did I would have to buy it - and I'm getting low on cash, now I have just ordered the upgrade to Sequoia 10. :)

Hi, I'm popping in here as well.

I'm switching to Vista on my new system, and just found out that my soundcard doesn't support Vista.

I have a homestudio right now, but I want to be able to record 4 tracks simultaneously.

Currently I'm using a MAYA44MKII from Audiotrak.

I'm looking for a card in a budget range to € 400.

peter