Danny

Object To Range

Hi there,

I'm struggling to find in Samplitude's online help, how to quickly get a 'range' from a selected object. In the RANGE menu, there is the 'RANGE ALL' option, for the entire project, but where is 'RANGE to OBJECT' or similar ?

I come from Sonar and there, simply clicking on the object sets the range, not so in Samplitude.

Likewise, I'd imagine that by selecting the object, I would be able to export it. Why do I have to still select a 'range' ? The object IS my 'range'.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Danny.

Hi Danny ,

Try going to menu item Range >Edit Range>Range over all selected objects . I use that one all the time and I made keyboard shortcut for it Options> Program Preferences > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu . Hope that helps .

Regards

Kraznet

Yes ! There it is. It works !

Thank you !

:)

This has revealed another conundrum...

Two objects, A and B. Object B slighlty overlaps object A. I have selected object A and exported it. The exported file now contains all of A and the very short chunk from B ??? It looks like 'range' isn't object independend. Is that so ?

Glad it worked Danny :)

Two objects, A and B. Object B slighlty overlaps object A. I have selected object A and exported it. The exported file now contains all of A and the very short chunk from B ??? It looks like 'range' isn't object independend. Is that so ?

Maybe the solution would be to mute (Ctrl+M ) the other object?

Regards

Kraznet

Yes, I suppose. :)

At the moment I'm more happy with the way Sonar deals with this, I think it's quicker.

I don't actually understand why the 'range' isn't object independent. The object is selected and range is set for that one object, still Samplitude will proceed to process a non-selected object if it overlaps the first, selected one. I'm not sure I would agree with this design.

If I had a few objects in a folder, all overlapping, the above scenario ( having to mute individual objects just to export one of them) would be difficult to manage.

What are your thoughts about this ?

:)

Hi Danny ,

I'm not familiar with Sonar so I can't do a comparison but from what I understand you want to just select an object and export that rather than use range to object as that creates a file that has some of the sound from overlapped object in it. Do I understand you correctly? If so maybe you can try this :

Select the Object you want to export then go to the menu item Tools >Track Bouncing and when the window opens select under Objects "bounce selected " . You will have to name the object and then save to the folder of your choice . You can define the format you want to save in as well as dithering etc. Let me know if that works for you .

Regards

Kraznet

One more thing :) Make sure you have the setting in the Track Bouncing window "with samples before object start and after object end" set to "0" in order to get an accurate bounce of the object .

Hi Danny ,

Try going to menu item Range >Edit Range>Range over all selected objects . I use that one all the time and I made keyboard shortcut for it Options> Program Preferences > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu . Hope that helps .

Regards

Kraznet

Kraznet -- Thank you for the tip (from 6 years ago). I have this complaint regularly. Now I have a solution!!

I dont know but it would be a good idea but if you select an object with the window and you pass from the bottom to the top it will select all the objects that touch the window.

and from top to botton it will select all only the objects that are complete in the window.

It would be interesting to have a double selection method for the window as we can see in autocad.

I would love for this to be a toggle; Range follows Object. I have a shortcut to send the object to the range, but when you have scores of OMF objects to go through it would be great to save that tedious keystroke. I guess I should post to the FR thread, but it's here anyway for posterity.