What Is The Best Simple Recording Process?

KoolRifz

I'm recording a band live - no multi tracking, in my rehearsal studio using 11 channels. I'm playing in the band and will also watch the levels. Meaning, no engineer. Making sure I have a robust computer, presonus firestudio and Behringer ADA-8000, is it best to create one file and let it run throughout the session? Most tunes will be recorded in a single take. Or is it best to use a template and create a new file for each tune? Or does it matter?

Also, it was suggested that I run my leads into my 16 channel Mackie desk to warm up the sound before it hits the presonus/digital gear. He suggested that I would find a "sweet spot" this way. Any comments on this concept?

Thanks,

Rob

I'm recording a band live - no multi tracking, in my rehearsal studio using 11 channels. I'm playing in the band and will also watch the levels. Meaning, no engineer. Making sure I have a robust computer, presonus firestudio and Behringer ADA-8000, is it best to create one file and let it run throughout the session? Most tunes will be recorded in a single take. Or is it best to use a template and create a new file for each tune? Or does it matter?

Also, it was suggested that I run my leads into my 16 channel Mackie desk to warm up the sound before it hits the presonus/digital gear. He suggested that I would find a "sweet spot" this way. Any comments on this concept?

Thanks,

Rob

I use the template approach - even for just recording my own tracks at home since I don't want to lose the 'creative moment' farting around with settings. My template has two guitar, bass, drum (MIDI) all ready to go - as well as all relevent effects/plugins.

Not sure about the Mackie 'sweet spot' approach...

Greg