Some Se9 Snap Questions And Automation Editing

TTOZ

Hi!!!

I just purchased Samplitude SE9 yesterday to get a taste of the workflow in version 10 pro before i shelled out the big bucks. I like it except for some things explained below

I have some questions.

1) Can the scissors/cut tool be snapped to grid? I can't find a way to do it. If not, can it be definitely snapped in samp 10 pro?

2) Can the automation nodes be snapped to grid, and again if not in SE, in 10 pro?

3) Is the vst automation in SE9 purely midi based 1-127? Is there a way to edit node values more precisely? If not, what about in Pro 10?

4) Any way of changing the VU meter colors? If not, is there a skin that the blue vu meters don't blend so much into? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hello TTOZ!

1) Can the scissors/cut tool be snapped to grid? I can't find a way to do it. If not, can it be definitely snapped in samp 10 pro?

Yes, in V10 the scissor automatically snaps if SNAP is turned on.

2) Can the automation nodes be snapped to grid, and again if not in SE, in 10 pro?

This is not possible :blink:

3) Is the VST automation in SE9 purely midi based 1-127? If not, what about in Pro 10?

All VST parameters can be automated in V10, but also in V9 SE. Additionally, you can automate any MIDI Controller number (0-127).

During Playback, hold down CTRL+ALT and change a VST parameter with the mouse - automation data is written to the track.

In the Automation Dialog (CTRL+ALT+A), you can also map an external MIDI Controller (e.g. Modwheel) to any VSTi parameter.

V10 has the "traditional" Read, Touch, Latch, Overwrite and Volume-Trim modes for automation.

Is there a way to edit node values more precisely?

You can zoom in the single track of course. You can zoom in/out the VOLUME automation with CTRL+Arrow up/down. In V10, waveform and volume automation zoom can set independently (use CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow up/down for volume automation zoom then). There are function generators for automation curves in V10 (saw, square, triangle; options for rhythmic cycle width etc).

4) Any way of changing the VU meter colors? If not, is there a skin that the blue vu meters don't blend so much into? Any suggestions?

The metering ("visualization") colors can be configured in samplitude, the mixer and VIP arranger meter colors can be changed from the skin or manually by modifying the colors in the bitmap files: sam_mixer1.bmp resp. sam_vip1.bmp in the BITMAPS folder.

Do a search on "skin" in the forum to find more about this or to find some links to free and commercialized skins.

> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome!

Hello TTOZ!

Yes, in V10 the scissor automatically snaps if SNAP is turned on.

This is not possible :blink:

3) Is the VST automation in SE9 purely midi based 1-127? If not, what about in Pro 10?

All VST parameters can be automated in V10, but also in V9 SE. Additionally, you can automate any MIDI Controller number (0-127).

During Playback, hold down CTRL+ALT and change a VST parameter with the mouse - automation data is written to the track.

In the Automation Dialog (CTRL+ALT+A), you can also map an external MIDI Controller (e.g. Modwheel) to any VSTi parameter.

V10 has the "traditional" Read, Touch, Latch, Overwrite and Volume-Trim modes for automation.

Is there a way to edit node values more precisely?

You can zoom in the single track of course. You can zoom in/out the VOLUME automation with CTRL+Arrow up/down. In V10, waveform and volume automation zoom can set independently (use CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow up/down for volume automation zoom then). There are function generators for automation curves in V10 (saw, square, triangle; options for rhythmic cycle width etc).

The metering ("visualization") colors can be configured in samplitude, the mixer and VIP arranger meter colors can be changed from the skin or manually by modifying the colors in the bitmap files: sam_mixer1.bmp resp. sam_vip1.bmp in the BITMAPS folder.

Do a search on "skin" in the forum to find more about this or to find some links to free and commercialized skins.

> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I will change the meters to an orangy color right now hehe!

The snap automation is almost a showstopper for me as sometimes I will want the automation to come in at precisely a snap point. This is why i asked if there was a way to click on the node and numerically override the value and or position with the keyboard. This should be a top feature request and hopefully not too hard to implement.

When i try to automate a vst parameter, it only gives me values from 0 -127 and tells me i can only do 16 per track..is this correct?

Last question but certainly not least.... is the UNDO history in v 10 been improved or does it still only say undo/redo like v9 se?

Hi TTOZ welcome to the forum :blink:

I presume that you're talking about VSTi's? I've noticed that with some VSTi's you can scroll though/change patches from within the VSTi gui . For example the Korg Legacy Cell does this and I seem to remember the FM7 did this as well but not all VST' seem allow this . I don't know if this varies from host to host . But as far as the native patch lists that appear in Samp - you can't audition them using the up/down arrows without clicking on the highlighted preset and then the window closes . All this mouse click clicking can be an inspiration killer . I agree having scrollable/activatable preset windows would make things alot easier .

Regards

Kraznet

I presume that you're talking about VSTi's? I've noticed that with some VSTi's you can scroll though/change patches from within the VSTi gui . For example the Korg Legacy Cell does this and I seem to remember the FM7 did this as well but not all VST' seem allow this . I don't know if this varies from host to host . But as far as the native patch lists that appear in Samp - you can't audition them using the up/down arrows without clicking on the highlighted preset and then the window closes . All this mouse click clicking can be an inspiration killer . I agree having scrollable/activatable preset windows would make things alot easier .

Regards

Kraznet

Hi and thanks yes I am talking about plugins that dont have a built in patch browser.

Ok then, since I am a preset junkie, this would drive me beyond insane.

bake to cubase and sonar!

I tried!

Regards

Kraznet

Hi and thanks yes I am talking about plugins that dont have a built in patch browser.

Ok then, since I am a preset junkie, this would drive me beyond insane.

bake to cubase and sonar!

I tried!

Thanks for trying...

Have fun over there.

Greg