Interested In Sequoia But Have Questions

zblip2

Hi

I do sound design and mixing for advertising/TV series/ and wish to do movie post. I work in a studio wich is equiped with big Pro Tools HD rigs. I've heard a lot about Nuendo's capabilities for post work but before comitting to it I thought I'd look around a bit more and got interested in Sequoia. Sequoia, juging from it's price seems like a serious tool. Users seem to be very satisfied with it although a good part of them use it, for editing and mastering classical music or for producing and mixing music. From what I read, I would say that the area in wich Sequoia/Samplitude appears to exel the most, is in it's editing capabilities. Taking this into consideration, I can't help wonder why it isn't used for post production as much as other DAW softwares. Post production is all about editing. Editing dialog, editing music, editing sound effects etc... Why are so many people turning to Nuendo for post and not Sequoia/Samplitude. I watched a Sequoia video tutorial about object mixing and was pleased with what I saw. I then thought to myself, there most be an aspect of Sequoia witch turns off post production people. In an effort to find it I have prepared a short list of things Pro Tools does witch are specific to post and go beon the typical cut and paste routines.

The folling Pro Tools fontions items are just a fiew that are used everyday in our work at the studio and have become totally essential in my work flow. Here goes:

-Automatic and constant frame accurate read out of any selections legnth. With possibility of nudging the front and the end of that selection.

-Export (mix) to video. Any selection regardless of the actual movie's length

-Two levels (or more) of level automation (Volume and Volume trim or whatever)

-Inserted effects can be dragged and dropped or reordered in any witch way possible.

-Snap a sound files start, end, or user defined sync point to cursor position in one move (click or key).

-Pro Tools constantly shows a list of all audio files attached to your project. This list can be reordered according to many parameters like Name, Date of creation (incresing or decresing) file size whatever and also has a search option for finding a particular file. Is there an equivalent in Sequoia?

-All recorded audio hold a given project time stamp, and remembers in a sample accurate and permanent way, it's exact original position.

-Stretch an audio file's front or tail, or any selection blank or not and the video scrolls istantly to follow mouse movement.

The list goes on and on.....

Can Sequoia do all of this?

Thanks for any response

Let see if I can help on some of these:

-Automatic and constant frame accurate read out of any selections legnth. With possibility of nudging the front and the end of that selection.

I think so, no sure

believe so.

With object editing/object automation, you can and much more

-Inserted effects can be dragged and dropped or reordered in any witch way possible.

Yes

-Snap a sound files start, end, or user defined sync point to cursor position in one move (click or key).

I think so, I think I know what all you are say'n I do that all the time.

-Pro Tools constantly shows a list of all audio files attached to your project. This list can be reordered according to many parameters like Name, Date of creation (increasing or decreasing) file size whatever and also has a search option for finding a particular file. Is there an equivalent in Sequoia?

there is the new "manager" section that is good, you'll need to check it out.

-All recorded audio hold a given project time stamp, and remembers in a sample accurate and permanent way, it's exact original position.

Yes

-Stretch an audio file's front or tail, or any selection blank or not and the video scrolls istantly to follow mouse movement.

I think so.

Hope I was some help, I don't do post, I do do some A/V in Samplitude.

contact me directly if you have anymore questions, goto my website for contacts.

Hello,

I use Sequoia for that purpose myself, but you have to be aware of several limitations, which are falling down little by little with each new versions, but still are important... You'll find answers to your questions below, but I should add the following:

Time code chasing is not yet working, but I do hope it will work very soon (It is usable somehow, but you have to be aware of limitations, such as not positionnal LTC possible, no backward LTC, etc...).

I still do use Sequoia with pleasure, especially the object based FX is a great tool for rerecording, and Samp own fx (denoiser, roomsim, eq, FFT filter, multiband dynamics, deesser, etc..) are very nice for post prod work...

That is the real strength of this software.

yes

Export audio to AVI, not MOV. And only to a specific video file, not any selection of it.

Not as Pro tools. so a yes and no: There exist for aux volume and Pan an object based automation, which could act as a first layer. Unfortunatly there is no way to transform regular automation into object automation (if you receive a PT project for instance..), and the drawing modes of object automation are less convenients, yet... I wish this will be improved some day...

yes

yes, there is a sync point, but it has 2 big drawbacks: -it is very difficult to see, it cannot be set of moved by mouse (only shortcut); when moving to cursor an object, it is always by the sync point (which by default is a the beginning). there is no choice wether by the beginning, sync or end...
-Pro Tools constantly shows a list of all audio files attached to your project. This list can be reordered according to many parameters like Name, Date of creation (incresing or decresing) file size whatever and also has a search option for finding a particular file. Is there an equivalent in Sequoia?
there are 2 tools: File Browser and Clip tool, but I find none very attractive alas. many features are missings.
Yes, but there are still issues as there are 2 different kind of timestamp in Sequoia... and some operations do not support timestamp yet.
Yes and no: it does not work on the main video, but you have a double video display for that... (but I still wish the video follow mouse movements would be a possible option...)

I still find that, very generally, editing, crossfades, and managers are less convenient and well thought than Pyramix ones.

Hope it helps.

Laurent.