Objects Witin Obects?

fonografist

Hello, I've been checking out Samplitude, for a possible move from Cubase, and I must say it seems like a very nice piece of software. The ability to add fx and all that stuff to objects is really nice.

I have a question though. I make my music mainly from samples from wierd records i find, and i have been looking for a way to work directly with them to chop them up, find small parts i like, and put them together in new strange ways. Samplitude seems to do this very nicely. Although, there is one thing in Cubase, that is actually very useful, and I'm wondering if there is any similar thing in Samplitude.

In cubase, you can put a bunch of audio clips into a "region", so they are contained in a little box, that you can in turn copy and so forh. This is very useful when building a groove from a bits and pieces from sample, or of course, different samples...

So I'm wondering if there is any way of putting different objects in Samplitude (maybe bits and pieces from a sample from a record) into yet another object. (or something like that). I'm aware of the group objects function, but it's not quite the same... It would be very nice if you could turn the objects with objects inside into that loop thing, so that every subsequent editing in the object would be done all over. This you can do in cubase with "ghost regions", that all follow the same editing inside, whether it be a MIDI region or audio...

/oscar, from sweden

In short, the idea is - a VIP as object. Nice one!

Regards,

Serge

I think current options are:

1. comping - just grab sections from the various performances/loops/etc. into the working track from the take manager
  2. mixdown VIP into one object and edit from there (essentially a VIP becomes a track in another VIP)
  3. freeze track objects and copy the edited loops into a fresh VIP
  4. open multiple VIPS and cross-cut/copy/move to a 'master' VIP.
  5. Use the Remix Agent to create loop regions and trim/move, etc. to your hearts' content

There's plenty of ways to do what you want - just have to find the most appropriate for your workflow.

Greg

1. mixdown VIP into one object and edit from there (essentially a VIP becomes a track in another VIP)

To expand on this:

You can use the "Edit Root VIP" function on any object that is the result of a previous mixdown or bounce. This opens up the VIP, from which the object was made, in a separate window. You can re-edit the bounce and any changes you make are written back to the final bounced object.

For this to work in all cases, it's best to "Save as" your VIP with a new name after doing any bounce or mixdown.

Cheers,

Simon

1. mixdown VIP into one object and edit from there (essentially a VIP becomes a track in another VIP)

To expand on this:

You can use the "Edit Root VIP" function on any object that is the result of a previous mixdown or bounce. This opens up the VIP, from which the object was made, in a separate window. You can re-edit the bounce and any changes you make are written back to the final bounced object.

For this to work in all cases, it's best to "Save as" your VIP with a new name after doing any bounce or mixdown.

Cheers,

Simon

That's what I meant by no. 2 above. Just forgot what it was called :)

This works great on drum submixes - you can edit without having to solo and edit in the main/source VIP.

Greg