Remix Agent: Adapt Object Tempo To Arrangement

ericzang

I want to set the arrangement (project) tempo to the tempo of a prerecorded song I loaded in, which includes a click track.

Using remix agent and the adapt tempo option, I have succesfully applied my click track (object) tempo to the arrangement tempo using adapt tempo map and bar positions. I found I needed to place my click track as track 1 in order for remix agent to choose it to analyze.

Samplitude's internal click synchronizises correctly with my original click throughout the song. The problem is that my other audio tracks are no longer aligned with the click.

I notice that after I apply the adapt tempo, my click track object slides position but my other tracks' objects do not, thereby creating the unalignment. If I manually select my other tracks' objects and slide them the same amount as the click track then all is aligned and in synch.

What do I need to do so that I do not have to manually slide all the other tracks?

Thanks very much!

Eric

You can try Audio Quantization. Do you have many little audio objects - then you can simply quantize the object start position (see menu "Tempo"). If your audio tracks don't match the click, you have to go through all the audio quantization effort.

But if I understand correctly, all audio tracks are in sync to each other, you only want them to match with the VIP tempo map?

Is your click track in sync with the other audio tracks?

Somehow I don't understand your problem right now... Please explain once more what you want to archieve.

Greetings,

Frank

But if I understand correctly, all audio tracks are in sync to each other, you only want them to match with the VIP tempo map?

Hi Frank, thanks for the reply.

yes all audio tracks are in sync together. Maybe I can describe the situation better. (I do not need to do any quanitzation or time stretching).

Starting with a new project, I have imported audio tracks (.wav) that were recorded outside of samplitude (Alesis HD24). One of these tracks is a click track from a drum machine.

My goal is to sync the VIP tempo to my recorded drum machine track (an object). As a result, the VIP tempo will also be in sync with the audio (the audio is in sync with the drum machine).

I was successful with Remix Agent to sync the VIP tempo to the drum machine track (using the adapt tempo parameters as mentioned above). I can see, after I click "apply" on remix agent, that the drum machine's object slides a small amount. This automatic sliding is one of the things necessary for the object and VIP tempo to be in sync and aligned.

The problem is that only the drum machine object slides. My other audio tracks remain in their original position. Therefor, samplitude's internal click and the drum machine (which sound correct together) are unaligned with my audio (though still in sync, just shifted or offset).

I found a fairly painless way to manually shift my audio objects exactly the same amount as the drum machine's object was shifted (using snap to: "object"), but it seems that this should happen automatically.

I tried grouping all the objects together before applying remix agent, but this did not work.

Thanks again!

Hi Frank, thanks for the reply.

yes all audio tracks are in sync together. Maybe I can describe the situation better. (I do not need to do any quanitzation or time stretching).

Starting with a new project, I have imported audio tracks (.wav) that were recorded outside of samplitude (Alesis HD24). One of these tracks is a click track from a drum machine.

My goal is to sync the VIP tempo to my recorded drum machine track (an object). As a result, the VIP tempo will also be in sync with the audio (the audio is in sync with the drum machine).

I was successful with Remix Agent to sync the VIP tempo to the drum machine track (using the adapt tempo parameters as mentioned above). I can see, after I click "apply" on remix agent, that the drum machine's object slides a small amount. This automatic sliding is one of the things necessary for the object and VIP tempo to be in sync and aligned.

The problem is that only the drum machine object slides. My other audio tracks remain in their original position. Therefor, samplitude's internal click and the drum machine (which sound correct together) are unaligned with my audio (though still in sync, just shifted or offset).

I found a fairly painless way to manually shift my audio objects exactly the same amount as the drum machine's object was shifted (using snap to: "object"), but it seems that this should happen automatically.

I tried grouping all the objects together before applying remix agent, but this did not work.

Thanks again!

I personally haven't found a way to get a WHOLE project to slide into position after determining tempo in RA. I THINK this is a feature request (updating RA for multiple tracks/project) - to have the whole project adapt to a 'host' track - such as your drum/click.

So far I have had to do the manual alignment to drum tracks that I ran through RA (tracks came from Digital Performer), which is a pain, but somehow I think there might be a simpler way.

The AQ is also handy (with some adjustments), and I have a personal request to enroll Magix into further integrating RA and AQ into one monster tool that IMO would vastly supersede anything else out there.

Greg

So far I have had to do the manual alignment to drum tracks that I ran through RA (tracks came from Digital Performer), which is a pain, but somehow I think there might be a simpler way.

the way I do it, which isn't too inconvenient is:

before invoking RA, I make sure there is a little bit of empty space before my objects. I assume this is necessary to give the RA adjusted track some room to be shifted. I use Insert Silence at 0 if necessary and insert a few seconds.

next I make sure I have at least one object that starts exactly at the same time as my click/drum machine track. (If I don't, I would make a copy of the drum machine track). I have this track at track 2 (drum machine is track 1). This track will later be used to line up all the other tracks with the RA adjusted one.

Do the RA process. (may also be helpful to first shorten the object so that it ends right before beat 1 of a measure). The object moves.

select all objects with ctrl-A. Unselect track 1's object, the RA adjusted object. Make sure snap to is on "objects". Grab track 2 and slide it towards track 1 (RA'd track) and the entire project moves along with it (as long as nothing is movement locked).

So you want to fit the VIP tempo grid to existing audio.

See here:

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...ost&p=63672

I copy the post here:

First: to lock a track against beat grid changes, set the track locked with the lock symbol. (This default behaviour can be changed in the tempo marker dialog.)

I suggest that you deceide either to work only with bpm markers or beat position markers.

Since the bpm value itself isn't important in your case, try the beat position markers.

1. Turn on the snap, because this is easier for beat position markers on full bar positions, which we do next:

2. Switch to time stretch mouse mode. Now you can set a beat position marker by ALT+click in the timeline.

Keep the mouse button and ALT key pressed and

3. move the beat position to the next real full beat in your music. Watch how the grid moves while you drag the mouse.

Keeping ALT pressed lets you move any tempo markers without affecting the objects, so no track lock is necessary here.

4. Find another full beat position at the end of the musical part. Adapt the grid with another beat position marker at this place. Now the grid basically matches the score - but if the tempo isn't t fixed inside the score part, you need to set further beat position markers, of course.

To summarize the workflow:

Look out for the starting and ending full beat position in your music and adapt the next current full beat of the grid with the mouse.

You cannot start from bar 1 for each different musical score part in the VIP, but despite this bar number offset the grid can be adapted to the music.

Note: in order to make a certain beat position move to a certain time position, Samplitude alters the tempo of the previous tempo marker. You don't specify a bpm for position markers, but Samplitude does it implicitly.

Note2: of course you can mix bpm and position type tempo markers, but this typically results in automatically turned on tempo interpolation between some markes, which might be not so concise unless you don't want to set ritardandi or smoother transitions of the tempo map etc. explicitly.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Frank

So you want to fit the VIP tempo grid to existing audio.

See here:

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...ost&p=63672

I copy the post here:

First: to lock a track against beat grid changes, set the track locked with the lock symbol. (This default behaviour can be changed in the tempo marker dialog.)

I suggest that you deceide either to work only with bpm markers or beat position markers.

Since the bpm value itself isn't important in your case, try the beat position markers.

1. Turn on the snap, because this is easier for beat position markers on full bar positions, which we do next:

2. Switch to time stretch mouse mode. Now you can set a beat position marker by ALT+click in the timeline.

Keep the mouse button and ALT key pressed and

3. move the beat position to the next real full beat in your music. Watch how the grid moves while you drag the mouse.

Keeping ALT pressed lets you move any tempo markers without affecting the objects, so no track lock is necessary here.

4. Find another full beat position at the end of the musical part. Adapt the grid with another beat position marker at this place. Now the grid basically matches the score - but if the tempo isn't t fixed inside the score part, you need to set further beat position markers, of course.

To summarize the workflow:

Look out for the starting and ending full beat position in your music and adapt the next current full beat of the grid with the mouse.

You cannot start from bar 1 for each different musical score part in the VIP, but despite this bar number offset the grid can be adapted to the music.

Note: in order to make a certain beat position move to a certain time position, Samplitude alters the tempo of the previous tempo marker. You don't specify a bpm for position markers, but Samplitude does it implicitly.

Note2: of course you can mix bpm and position type tempo markers, but this typically results in automatically turned on tempo interpolation between some markes, which might be not so concise unless you don't want to set ritardandi or smoother transitions of the tempo map etc. explicitly.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Frank

Excellent Frank, thanks. Forgot about the time stretch/marker approach.

However, with all the objects are aligned, but still offset to the right of the actual start of the VIP, will the markers move with the objects if I slide them all to the left?

I'm not at my main machine right now, so I think there's a switch for migrating markers.

I've used tap tempo in RA with pretty good success, and then have adjusted from there. However, I cannot remember how to move the objects and keep the markers with the objects.

I obviously do not use this feature very often, but it's great for lining up MIDI tracks with live drums that fluctuate slightly in tempo, or for odd time-signatures.

Thanks again,

Greg