Selecting Multiple Tracks (for Simple Actions)

Bren Gun

Hi. This is such a trivial thing that should be easy which I do easily in other DAWs, but somehow....

Being accustomed to Windows, I figure I select a particular track whereafter I press SHIFT and click a track that is a few tracks further, to select multiple tracks in that range: it doesn't work. You can understand my reaction was something like: :)

Or what about using CTRL to select some tracks here and there? I was forming a better liking for Samplitude, but this just turns me off.

Hi. This is such a trivial thing that should be easy which I do easily in other DAWs, but somehow....

Being accustomed to Windows, I figure I select a particular track whereafter I press SHIFT and click a track that is a few tracks further, to select multiple tracks in that range: it doesn't work. You can understand my reaction was something like: :)

Or what about using CTRL to select some tracks here and there? I was forming a better liking for Samplitude, but this just turns me off.

Shift+click and ctrl+click DO work just fine.

Check out Kraznet's 'Working with objects' video:

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/tutorial_videos.html

Remember, you should pick the objects rather than just the tracks.

For picking multiple tracks in a range, just double click the range area at the top of the VIP arranger (tracks) window (at least in V10).

What are you trying to do by clicking multiple tracks?

Greg

Thanks for the reply, Greg. Selection and manipulation of objects is no problem, as it is exactly what you describe and what I did in the first place.

When I used the word 'range' I did not mean a time range or region, but the range of multiple tracks.

What I want to do are simple tasks like deleting a number of total tracks quickly, so not on the object level. For example: in SONAR or REAPER I select one track -- the track itself, not a clip or item or object in the track -- and use SHIFT or CTRL and the click(s) to select more tracks, so I can for instance delete a few tracks and all their contents (which are objects, clips, automation, etc.). Much in the same way one would select files in a file manager and delete them in one swift blow. Now it seems if I want to do that, I must select them one by one which is time-consuming.

Example in application: somehow I have many empty (or not so empty) tracks unused, and I want to delete them quickly, but the program doesn't allow me to do it quickly, or I just don't know.

I tried your suggestion,

For picking multiple tracks in a range, just double click the range area at the top of the VIP arranger (tracks) window (at least in V10).

...but either I don't get it or it's not applicable to what I want. At the moment I think it's not applicable, because 'range' (or time range) is not the issue, but entire tracks themselves are.

hi,

Example in application: somehow I have many empty (or not so empty) tracks unused, and I want to delete them quickly, but the program doesn't allow me to do it quickly, or I just don't know.

simply drag a range on the tracks and Delete track.

The range in this case has no importance, it's just to select the tracks. But you can only delete continuous tracks.

regards

Phil

hi,

simply drag a range on the tracks and Delete track.

The range in this case has no importance, it's just to select the tracks. But you can only delete continuous tracks.

regards

Phil

Thanks for reply. I used the left mouse-click to select a range for two continuous tracks, then did 'Delete Track(s)', but no positive effect: "Can't delete or cut the track ! Please select the track."

Thanks Kraznet! What I did before was use Universal mode to select. For some reason the Range mode button wasn't even there, but I just added it. Going into the manager while Universal mode was active didn't give any positive results either.

I'm not a full member of the family (yet), but I really think the developers should allow tracks to be deleted much like you would do files in a file manager under Windows. Having to enter Range mode for something so trivial is a bit longwinded.

And I also want to say that this is one of the most helpful forums I've been to. Very good stuff and thanks to all who helped so far! :)

Remember that in Universal Mouse mode moving the mouse to the top half of the track turns it into Range Mode and to the bottom half turns it into Object Mode as it's dual purpose although it can take some practice getting used to . So there's no reason to switch to Range Mouse Mode really . It all depends what your used to I guess . I agree it would be good to be able to do the same thing with VIP tracks as can be done in the Track Manger .There is a thread on the beta forum about this at the moment .

Regards

Kraznet

I usually just drag mouse sort of upwards and counter-clockwise up across tracks - usually out in the open, and then just delete tracks.

For single tracks, you can just click the track out in the open - make it active by alt+up/down to the track, and delete the individual track. You can also right-click over at the left pane of the track you want to delete, and delete the track from there.

Kraznet's got it covered - either shift-click objects, to delete, copy, or whatever - for object-oriented approach, but yes, just highlighting the tracks and using track>delete tracks works.

You can assign a hotkey as well of course.

Greg

p.s. apologies for replying out of sequence. Too many emails stacked up, and lost track of this thread... :)

Thanks, guys. Actually, I did use Universal mode in the beginning just the way you said, but for some odd reason it gave me that particular error message or warning. It was only after I saw that linked video and specifically went into Range mode when it actually worked. However, later I just used Universal mode and suddenly it DID work how it should, while I did the exact same thing :) Is this some kind of bug? It was at least very inconsistent, and I don't like these kinds of surprises or stalling actions out of my control.

Thanks, guys. Actually, I did use Universal mode in the beginning just the way you said, but for some odd reason it gave me that particular error message or warning. It was only after I saw that linked video and specifically went into Range mode when it actually worked. However, later I just used Universal mode and suddenly it DID work how it should, while I did the exact same thing :) Is this some kind of bug? It was at least very inconsistent, and I don't like these kinds of surprises or stalling actions out of my control.

No, it's not a bug, but more like getting into the habit of doing things in a consistent way - after you get comfortable with some of the more unique paradigms built into Samplitude - as well as it's flexibility (somethings 3 different ways or avenues to do the same thing), you should be rockin'. You'll find that you suddenly get a 'eureka moment' when 'all is revealed', at which point you'll start jumping to the next level.

I've been using Samp. for 10 years now, and am STILL finding ways to do things - especially chasing down V10.x features vs. what was offered way back in V5 or 6 - it's like night and day how far it's come.

IMO Samplitude is the most copied host in the industry. There have been discussions on this before on the forum. 24/96, freeze, objects (now being emulated in Reaper), etc. all began in Samplitude.

Have fun,

Greg