Bren Gun

Some Questions

Hi. I figure I put a few questions into one thread.

1:

It seems the File Manager is kind of sluggish: when activated, it sometimes takes pretty long to load. I reckon this shouldn't be the case, as it's just supposed to show a list. Is it because of the program, or because of my computer system (or both)?

2:

Is it possible to import stereo files as split mono (to two tracks)?

3:

For some reason, I can't preview audio files when using 'w' to import (in the import window). The buttons are greyed out, no matter what. (I'd use the file manager where it does work, but, as said, loading is slow.)

4:

Is it possible to show in a toolbar whether 'loop' is on or off? I don't want to hassle with the transport just to see the loop button.

5:

When VST instruments and MIDI objects are played back, and playback is stopped in the middle, and I go back to the beginning of the project to play it back from start, the ending from where it stopped continues upon playback, even if it stops again, as it has to totally die out first. Is there a way to totally restart every playback without these "leftovers"? (Maybe a buffer size thing or something like that? lol. Im trired/)

Hello, a few answers to your question.

1:

It seems the File Manager is kind of sluggish: when activated, it sometimes takes pretty long to load. I reckon this shouldn't be the case, as it's just supposed to show a list. Is it because of the program, or because of my computer system (or both)?

Yes It does that to me as well. I think it's the manager that's a bot slow. the biggest is the dick the longest it takes. I think It need time to sort media files from the non-audio files. It does't worry me that much.

2:

Non I don't think so.

What I do is import it then File/export /convert audio / convert from stereo to 2 mono. It works quickly that's fine.

or make a batch processing if you have heaps of files to convert.

3:

For some reason, I can't preview audio files when using 'w' to import (in the import window). The buttons are greyed out, no matter what. (I'd use the file manager where it does work, but, as said, loading is slow.)

With the "open audio files" the preview is desactivate when using ASIO drivers. ( I don't know why but we can preview on the manager.... even in ASIO) There is an option ( in the options on the "w" window) to activate it anyway if you want. As the "w" is really quick I often open lots of files on the VIP then I choose the right one.

I don't konw the answers to you other question event If I have the same thing here.

Best

Christophe

1:

2:

3:

4:

Is it possible to show in a toolbar whether 'loop' is on or off? I don't want to hassle with the transport just to see the loop button.

5:

When VST instruments and MIDI objects are played back, and playback is stopped in the middle, and I go back to the beginning of the project to play it back from start, the ending from where it stopped continues upon playback, even if it stops again, as it has to totally die out first. Is there a way to totally restart every playback without these "leftovers"? (Maybe a buffer size thing or something like that? lol. Im trired/)

You can also drag the file out of windoze explorer directly into the VIP.

Yes, sluggishness in the File Manager MAY be due to your system, but the FM shouln't be slow.

Greg

4:

I requested this in the Beta forum recently as the toolbar2 changes the mode but doesn't reflect the state - probably Ver11

5:

I believe its because the buffers don't get flushed as they should. Making the buffers smaller makes the effect smaller. Again this is known.

Cheers

M

With the "open audio files" the preview is desactivate when using ASIO drivers. ( I don't know why but we can preview on the manager.... even in ASIO)

That one is actually easy to answer: Manager plays through the Sequoiatude audio engine, File open uses the Windows API. You can't have Windows drivers and ASIO drivers on the same device at the same time, that's why.

Cheers,

S

File open uses the Windows API.

Exactly that is happening but there is no reason to do it that way.

Cheers

M

It wasn't exactly my scope to reason about the purpose, just to explain what it does. BTW, there is actually a reason: the implementation currently that you use the same device as in the main application here, and you can't do that generically when the main application is using the device in ASIO mode. This can't be changed unless ... something's gotta give.

Regards,

Sebastian

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

You can also drag the file out of windoze explorer directly into the VIP.

Yes, sluggishness in the File Manager MAY be due to your system, but the FM shouln't be slow.

Greg

Thanks, Greg. Good tip. But the downside of that is that you could not easily preview the highlighted file just before import. It was my wish to quickly see a list of files and audition them to pick the right one quickly. I find this very handy if one has many samples of a particular sound/instrument. I guess it'll just be the File Manager then.

Bren

4:

I requested this in the Beta forum recently as the toolbar2 changes the mode but doesn't reflect the state - probably Ver11

5:

I believe its because the buffers don't get flushed as they should. Making the buffers smaller makes the effect smaller. Again this is known.

Cheers

M

Thanks, Martin. Sounds good.

I recall in SONAR there was an option to restart the audio engine just before playback (or something similar) so there would be no leftover buffers or the likes. There was also an option to let all effects tail out when playback stopped (I noticed upon stopping there is always immediate silence). I haven't seen any specific dedicated options in Samp regarding these, but maybe I overlooked.

I noticed upon stopping there is always immediate silence

Thats part of the "deal" using economy engine... If you use Hybrid, you'll get tails.

Personally I dont care much about tails when stopping, but some think they're important.

I've found that only a few plugs of mine "burst their buffers" upon new playback (amp-sims)

But the problem may be bigger for others..

I noticed upon stopping there is always immediate silence

Thats part of the "deal" using economy engine... If you use Hybrid, you'll get tails.

Personally I dont care much about tails when stopping, but some think they're important.

I've found that only a few plugs of mine "burst their buffers" upon new playback (amp-sims)

But the problem may be bigger for others..

Sometimes adjusting buffer settings in hybrid mode will flush out the tails when restarting playback.

Yes, for previewing loops, etc. then Samp's file manager is the way to go.

Greg