The Deffinition Of Tempo, Need Help Please

clopin

Tempo/Bar marker

Tempo and bar switches are an important expression medium of your music and can be manipulated in Samplitude with a vast range of possibilities.

OK I have read it, but, still I do not grab it, because, we can do tith, we can do that, but HOW ?

The definition of tempo and bar measure changes is achieved completely using markers inside the project window. Continual speed progressions or abrupt tempo / bar measure changes can be defined with special tempo and bar markers. Resulting tempo progressions are automatically calculated. The display in the transport window provides optical control of the tempo and bar measures, showing current values during playback and repositioning.

You can move the musical grid using data points to certain time position or adapt it to existing audio and MIDI events, for example, a reference drum track.

Three marker types are available for grid definition:

Tempo

Beat count measure (musical signature)

Bar position

You can also transfer tempo information ("tempo maps") from the MIDI file to your project during import. Here Samplitude automatically creates the tempo markers necessary for this. "Tempo maps" can be exported as MIDI files.

In addition, MIDI and audio objects can be coupled to the musical grid and then modified depending on the position during tempo changes.

YES, but again HOW to DO it? cry cry.....and, with the book Samplitude 10, we only have a tempo marker.....did not see something else, yet....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What I would like to know, is, first how to truly see, some change of a Tempo, from a BPM of 100 and going to 130 on, say 10 bars....Can we do it on Audio wav or not? or only on Midi materials?

A tutorial could be very handy, here, I do not speak about the stretching, or, maybe I do not understand well, but, even if I put tempo marker, inside an object, and that object is alone in a VIP project, do I have to cut the object at each change of tempo?

thanks you.... :D

for example I love the video in the forum, they are a great help, and I thanks for it

hi,

What I would like to know, is, first how to truly see, some change of a Tempo, from a BPM of 100 and going to 130 on, say 10 bars....Can we do it on Audio wav or not? or only on Midi materials?

have you recorded some audio at 100 and now need to create a progression ?? don't know if it's possible !

My vision of tempo with audio at least, is : put first your markers on the arrangement, activate Click, and Rec, following the tempo variation.

It should be the same when recording MIDI. But importing midi file is another story as Sampliquoia asks to import or not the tempo of the MIDI file. I've never tried to put first a tempo map on an empty arrangement, import a MIDI file and said No to the question to try to use this map on the imported file.

Hope some tempo experts will come here !

best

Phil

hi,

have you recorded some audio at 100 and now need to create a progression ?? don't know if it's possible !

My vision of tempo with audio at least, is : put first your markers on the arrangement, activate Click, and Rec, following the tempo variation.

It should be the same when recording MIDI. But importing midi file is another story as Sampliquoia asks to import or not the tempo of the MIDI file. I've never tried to put first a tempo map on an empty arrangement, import a MIDI file and said No to the question to try to use this map on the imported file.

best

Phil

Ok Phil thanks again, and, like you said, it would be nice to have others members giving some more ideas on the subject....

I did recorded a multitrak project at 100 bpm. When the project is finished and saved into a VIP file, I would like to gradually increase or decrease it from any bars for a certain amount of bars, to make either the slowing down of the project, at a certain point and going back, for example to it's original tempo, but, either slowly or very quickly...then ? still no idea? in that case, whne I record, I use a steady tempo, and I was certain we could modify tempo into a project,,,,or I am very stupid, still....

thanks for ALL imputs......

Ok, then come a second question...

If I would record a project and, when recording, would change or manipulate the tempo live, with an arranger or a synth, we could do it, using the tempo knob of the hardware, then ????? Samplitude 10, how it would be able to find the variation of tempo from the project?

thanks you

hi,

best

Phil

Ok Phil thanks again, and, like you said, it would be nice to have others members giving some more ideas on the subject....

I did recorded a multitrak project at 100 bpm. When the project is finished and saved into a VIP file, I would like to gradually increase or decrease it from any bars for a certain amount of bars, to make either the slowing down of the project, at a certain point and going back, for example to it's original tempo, but, either slowly or very quickly...then ? still no idea? in that case, whne I record, I use a steady tempo, and I was certain we could modify tempo into a project,,,,or I am very stupid, still....

thanks for ALL imputs......

Ok, then come a second question...

If I would record a project and, when recording, would change or manipulate the tempo live, with an arranger or a synth, we could do it, using the tempo knob of the hardware, then ????? Samplitude 10, how it would be able to find the variation of tempo from the project?

thanks you

One way you can start with is to right-click over the tempo bar at the top of the VIP tracks - where you can set it to bars/beats, or SMPTE, or whatever - and from there you can add tempo markers. There are also hotkeys you can press at the positions where you want the tempo marker, and it will be installed at that position.

You can also right-click over the time-window in the transport window, and set the tempo maps there - based on which measure you want to change to 130bpm.

Also, there is the marker manager, where you can set or change markers manually.

It's in the manual (sort of).

Also, check out Kraznet's tutorial videos on the Samplitude.com site.

Have fun,

Greg

You can only apply ritardandi or accelerandi to MIDI data. Audio can only be stretched linear in time, and only manually, not with tempo maps (only the audio position can optionally adapt to tempo map changes).

But you can manually create audio ritardandi or accelerandi:

You could split the audio at every quarter beat, create a tempo ramp (ritardandi) by setting the second tempo marker to "interpolate" within the tempo marker dialog while the option "adapt audio objects to tempo changes" is activated. Then you can manually timestretch each quarter to fill the gaps (or use the audio quantization wizard function to do that automatically for all gaps between selected objects).

The tempo map handling is of course focussed more on creating a tempo map based on a tempo-variant recording or to alter MIDI data positions - since dynamic time-stretching on audio material always compromises the audio quality. If you want to fit audio material to other tempo variant audio/video, you have to do this, but if you record a new piece of music, I think it is better to do the tempo variation already while recording the performance and match the VIP tempo map afterwards.

See also here for a how-to on that workflow:

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...ost&p=63672

To answer the other question: you cannot record tempo changes in realtime.

Greetings,

Frank

Greg, Frank, Phil,

thanks all of you for your time and answers...

What I do understand, is we can do it from the midi side but not from the audio side, I mean on the audio, we could do it, but this is time, and not too sure if the result would be nice, and, yes I am watching the Video's, but, did not find something on the tempo subject, of what I am looking for...

and, we can rec from an hardware live tempo change on audio, but, Samplitude is not yet able to detect the change...Does a software like Melodyne, who could very soon, recognize into a chord and separate differents voices or timbres, but, for the tempo, this must be a different stuff altogether...then the sample or Wav or MP3, presently can only be stretched or make shorther, but, ? what would be needed from a mathematic point of view to find an exact change or variation of tempo in an audio file?

thanks you :)

Frank, just a question....you said """I think it is better to do the tempo variation already while recording the performance and match the VIP tempo map afterwards. """ then How would you do it, by guessing? no I am sure, but how? thanks you

match the VIP tempo map afterwards. """ then How would you do it, by guessing? no I am sure, but how?

You can set up a loop so that it matches exactly one bar. Then you can set a tempo marker before that loop and change it in timestretch mouse mode while holding down SHIFT and dragging the tempo marker BPM value up or down. This way you can visually adjust the grid so that it fits on the loop.

You can do similar with beat position markers. Grab the most adjacent full bar position in the ruler while holding down ALT in timestretch mouse mode to set the beat pos marker, and move it to the start of the musical bar. Go on for further "hit points". If you use beat position markers, the correct tempo to archieve that certain musical beat positions will be automatically calculated.

I hope this helps.

Greetings,

Frank