gregh

Copy Range Using Mouse

Is there a method for selecting a segment of an object and dragging it with the mouse to another track. Basically a drag and drop copy of a range. I see how to copy a range using ctrl+C, but I would like to be able to click and hold with the mouse on a range of an object then drag that range to another position, let go the mouse and thereby paste it to the new position

thanks for any help, Greg

Hi Greg ,

I think the only way you can do this is to select the range you want to copy then hit T (Split Objects) then Ctrl drag to the new track . I thought maybe it would be possbile to Ctrl drag the range but it doesn't seem possible . I presume you have done this in another DAW ?

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Greg ,

I think the only way you can do this is to select the range you want to copy then hit T (Split Objects) then Ctrl drag to the new track . I thought maybe it would be possbile to Ctrl drag the range but it doesn't seem possible . I presume you have done this in another DAW ?

Regards

Kraznet

Not possible to direct drag-copy ranges at this point I don't think. Will have to test. But, if your range is from bar-to-bar (for example), then ctrl+c/Ctrl+v into the same position on a neighboring track is easy enough.

With objects you can ctrl+click-copy/drag the object to another position - so trimming it out is the other option.

(the other) Greg H.

Is there a method for selecting a segment of an object and dragging it with the mouse to another track. Basically a drag and drop copy of a range. I see how to copy a range using ctrl+C, but I would like to be able to click and hold with the mouse on a range of an object then drag that range to another position, let go the mouse and thereby paste it to the new position

thanks for any help, Greg

Hold Shift and grab the the range and you can move it anywhere on the time line and drop it. Handy for Verses and Chorus...etc...

You can then store the range and return to it again later...

Thanks for the advice everyone - sorry for late reply but i am travelling and cant get to the net much or try the solutions for a few more weeks. Appreciate the help, greg

Hi Greg ,

Regards

Kraznet

thanks Kraznet - I have now got back to my machine and your solution seems most lke what i was looking for. reaper is the DAW that allows this in an easier form. The problem I see with the Samplitude version is that the original object from which the segments are copied in now altered and needs to be 'healed'

Greg

Hi Greg,

there is no need to heal separations in Sequoiatude.

Besides that, this is not the only way to work. Ranges can be copied and pasted, for one instance.

Simple and straight d n' d is possible for Objects. Ranges and Objects have a special relationship in Sequoiatude, and on the big picture it allows faster editing than anywhere else, once you have got around it. Straight dn'd for ranges would not be possible without breaking something else currently implemented. I think it only would be possible with further modifiers (ctrl-drag or similar)

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi Greg,

Besides that, this is not the only way to work. Ranges can be copied and pasted, for one instance.

Simple and straight d n' d is possible for Objects. Ranges and Objects have a special relationship in Sequoiatude, and on the big picture it allows faster editing than anywhere else, once you have got around it. Straight dn'd for ranges would not be possible without breaking something else currently implemented. I think it only would be possible with further modifiers (ctrl-drag or similar)

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian and thankyou for the reply. Perhaps i should describe the problem and ask how Samplitude provides a solution - a more positive approach :)

I like to record improvised instrumentals and then micro edit those performances - selecting segments of various sizes (single notes, phrases, parts of notes) from each track and shifting those segments about and repeating them etc etc. In reaper I can ctrl+drag a marquee selection of a track (like an object) and this makes a copy which I can drag about and place where I like. What would be the native Samplitude approach to that type of editing task?

thanks for any suggestions, Greg

EDIT - with a little more experimentation I understand a little more of Samplitude and have improved how I use the method suggested by Kraznet- thanks again to everyone

Hi Greg,

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian and thankyou for the reply. Perhaps i should describe the problem and ask how Samplitude provides a solution - a more positive approach :)

I like to record improvised instrumentals and then micro edit those performances - selecting segments of various sizes (single notes, phrases, parts of notes) from each track and shifting those segments about and repeating them etc etc. In reaper I can ctrl+drag a marquee selection of a track (like an object) and this makes a copy which I can drag about and place where I like. What would be the native Samplitude approach to that type of editing task?

thanks for any suggestions, Greg

EDIT - with a little more experimentation I understand a little more of Samplitude and have improved how I use the method suggested by Kraznet- thanks again to everyone

It's the same in Samplitude (because <ahem> Ripper, er Reaper copies Samp. IMO - but that's besides the point).

• ctrl+drag objects copies them. Window-highlight numerous objects and do the same for multiple objects.
  • select range and hit 'T' will trim edges of range. Move objects where desired.
  • Place cursor at desired cut point and hitting 't' will just cut at the cursor.
  • Maybe use neighboring track to help with rearrangement and then slide into position where desired.

Greg