Dedicated Video Track In Samplitude

jcorbett

A bit of background first - I've asked about this before on this forum, and have also spoken to Magix about this to no avail, but would really like this issue brought up and discussed on a serious level. I am really keen on Samplitude, and am currently a Nuendo user. I am getting really sick of Steinberg's attitude to it's customers - Nuendo was an incredible app with phenomenal potential when it came out, but with every new revision it seems to be driving itself into the ground, so I am looking to switch. Samplitude appears to be the best nearest alternative. However, there is one thing that stops me crossgrading - the video features. Now, Sequoia I must admit offers everything I want and more, but I cannot legitimise the cost - my employers will simply not purchase it for me.

What I am after is a dedicated video 'track' a la Sequoia, so I can have multiple video files on the timeline. I don't need the more advanced features such as editing and capture of video - just a proper 'track' for video. I really think it would be a very good idea for Magix to give this feature to samplitude users and I can see it doing no harm in terms of sales to Sequoia - if anything it will encourage more people (well at least one!) to switch to samplitude.

It is worth mentioning that Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Reaper and Digital Performer (and perhaps Pro Tools) all offer this functionality in their even most basic versions.

If any users and potential users think this is a good idea, please join me on my campaign to encourage Magix to include these features in Samplitude! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my point! I feel it should be a Samplitude feature also - at least in a cut down version to what appears in Sequoia.

I understand the video track features in Sequoia are quite advanced - I am given the impression these features allow things such as video capture and editing. I believe a cut down version of this that allows a similar level of functionality to your competition in Samplitude should be implemented. Whatever kind of functionality that someone working on audio to video supplied by a third party, such as a composer writing music to picture or a sound designer creating the sound for video sequences. These tasks often require multiple pieces of video to be worked on within the same project, so a video 'track' with the ability to have multiple video objects spread across the timeline would be sufficient. At present, having only one video file locked to the start of a project is insufficient for my needs.

I would have happily switched to Samplitude if this functionality had been available when Nuendo 4 came out. Sadly, it was not so I have upgraded to Nuendo 4 to gain it's additional functionality (and, sadly, it's bugs and lost functionality). Again, this level of functionality is available in Samplitude's competition so I see no reason why some of Sequoia's video functionality could not be carried across to Samplitude.

Sure. The details you mentioned would however take away all the (meaningful) functional differences in that field between Sequoia and Samplitude. Having the video track with multiple references implies editing. The capturing parallel with audio is certainly not a mainstream targeted function given the momentary ressources on a typical workstation, let's forget about that.

I don't think that it makes much sense in respect of differentiating the product. In respect of offering more features for less money, it is obvious that it would be desireable for you. On the same account, it also would devaluate the product for the existing Sequoia users, generating the need to compensating them with even more features the Samplitude users won't get, and that leads certainly to the next request like yours.

I think that the enhanced video features in Sequoia could be a good starting point (and not much more, to be honest) for profiling Sequoia even more in the direction to the post market in the future, prospectively ending up in a diferentiation as it is at Steinberg with Cubase and Nuendo. I would find it rather bewildering to change horses now.

Cheers,

Sebastian

I'm not sure I follow. There are an awful lot more differences between Sequoia and Samplitude than just the video functionality.

Also, Sequoia gives the user the ability to capture video, which I'm not asking for here. I think if you were to include the functionality of your video editing apps into Sequoia so that Sequoia becomes a kind of 'ultimate' app for all kinds of media related work, that would be fantastic. But that's not what I am asking for in Samplitude :)

I don't believe that offering the level of functionality I am asking for undermines Sequoia. The only 'editing' functionality I am asking for in terms of video is the ability to have one video track and multiple video objects on it which can be moved around, not say chopping up or fading between multiple video tracks for example (although I'm not sure if Sequoia can do that!). Perfectly sufficient for someone who wants to work audio to video - not working with video itself - and the same level of functionality other manufacturers offer to customers in their most basic versions of their software. As a good example, Steinberg don't seem to think this level of functionality in Cubase detracts users from Nuendo. I believe being able to work with video files in this way is a standard feature for any sequencer, and shouldn't be restricted to an extremely 'premium' iteration.

I'd be interested in hearing what other registered Samplitude / Sequoia users think of this. Are you a Samplitude user who would benefit from this additional functionality? Are you a Sequoia user who only went for Sequoia over Samplitude for this functionality? If it is possible this could be posted on the registered users forum that would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to give sequoia a try! But as far as I am aware, no demo is available :) I was made quite a generous offer in email from Magix as a crossgrade from Nuendo, but it was still out of my price range - and in fact this cost was still higher than the cost of Nuendo outright.

Again - this is my point - this functionality should not be limited to Sequoia.

I'd love to give sequoia a try! But as far as I am aware, no demo is available ;) I was made quite a generous offer in email from Magix as a crossgrade from Nuendo, but it was still out of my price range - and in fact this cost was still higher than the cost of Nuendo outright.

Again - this is my point - this functionality should not be limited to Sequoia.

Samplitude Pro can handle video.

download the Samp. 10 video at Samplitude.com and go to media link and try loading a video and see what happens :)

For video editing, I use Magix Movie Edit Pro V14Plus (US version) - it's cheap and integrates well with Samplitude.

At some point in the future I can see Magix merging MEP/Video Deluxe (Europe) with Sequoia for the ultimate app. - but for now they are similar enough at the audio level that you can get a lot of work done.

Greg

post-620-1217053584_thumb.jpg

download the Samp. 10 video at Samplitude.com and go to media link and try loading a video and see what happens ;)

You might want to have a look over my earlier posts again :(

My problem is there is no video 'track', so I can work to multiple video files in the same project.

download the Samp. 10 video at Samplitude.com and go to media link and try loading a video and see what happens ;)

You might want to have a look over my earlier posts again :(

My problem is there is no video 'track', so I can work to multiple video files in the same project.

Sampliquoia only has the one video 'track' - actually a reference field with video playback. These are audio DAWs, not Video NLE's.

Samplitude syncs. with video internally or externally via clock-sync, but does not have 'multiple' video 'tracks'.

Samplitude and Sequoia are NOT Vegas or Premier, which are NLE's with basic audio editing capabilities.

I got Movie Edit Pro, which IS a video editor (good inexpensive editor), and can handle all the video tracks you want, and is compatible with Sampliquoia.

Greg

Greg, I am sorry, but you indeed haven't got "jcorbett"'s point there. ;)

Sequoia indeed allows for referencing multiple video files.

Regards,

Sebastian

yes, referencing, but different 'tracks'?

Please distinguish what you mean to my feable mind. :(

Sure, I can sync. to multiple video sources, but tracks?

I'm probably going to upgrade to Sequoia anyways since I'm getting more video post type work, and Samplitude is great in this regard until you get into heavier requirements.

Greg

Greg... c'mon... don't make a fool out of yourself. He has specified well what he wants to have. And Sequoia has that. ;)

/S

Sebastian, c'mon - I've read it. In my mind he's talking about more of what Vegas has with actual video 'tracks' like a video editor.

In Seq. are you dragging video into a VIP track, or is it 'referencing' a sync'd video window at the top of the VIP?

I'm trying to show the distinction here.

I don't think you can crop and move around the video segments in Seq. like you can in MEP, but I may be mistaken.

PLEASE enlighten me oh-mighty one :(

How about a screenshot?

Greg

I agree that Samplitude should have the ability to have one video track with the option to load multiple video files in a sequence. When you're posting a film, or doing cut-scenes for games, etc...you need to be able to have all of your scenes accessible so that you can mix them all relatively. Nuendo, ProTools, and other DAWs allow you to do this...Samplitude should really let you do this, otherwise it should really be marketed purely as music app. Product differentiation for Sequoia should be really about some serious features that are different: higher end plugins, better cleaning and restoration, more surround capabilities, but I don't agree that this simple task of having a couple of video 'objects' on one track in Samplitude is unreasonable. It's a real pain for us, because I use Sequoia, but my colleagues are using Samplitude and we can't interchange VIPs with multiple video takes, and our studio doesn't have the budget to buy 3-5 Sequoia licenses.

And yes, Greg, Samplitude is not competing with Vegas, as it has compositing, multiple video format inputs and outputs, etc...I think this request is very reasonable and modest.

The only other way to get around it is to export a long .mxv file out of MEP, but then there are size issues for the files, and you are forced to 'post' the videos one after the other.

My 2 cents.

Oleksa

PLEASE enlighten me oh-mighty one ;)

See, Greg, for the sake of the thread, it is all in here already. It just needs to be read. jcorbett wants to have multiple references down the time line, not different tracks. You came up with that twist.

I didn't mean to be rough, but after seeing you poking the wrong hole over and over...

Sorry,

Sebastian

PLEASE enlighten me oh-mighty one ;)

See, Greg, for the sake of the thread, it is all in here already. It just needs to be read. jcorbett wants to have multiple references down the time line, not different tracks. You came up with that twist.

I didn't mean to be rough, but after seeing you poking the wrong hole over and over...

Sorry,

Sebastian

OK, yes even jcorbett had 'tracks' in quotes.

My mind went to the other video handling paradigms in the other hosts.

Along this line - I wish the Sequoia video handling features were brought into Samplitude, and the more full-blown MEP video editing features brought into Sequoia. IMO this would be a better price-point/feature offering in the current marketplace.

But nevertheless it's come a long way. I'll be putting this to the test next weekend working on a film score where I'll have to fly in a lot segments and spit out assembled cues.

Good times...

Greg

If any users and potential users think this is a good idea, please join me on my campaign to encourage Magix to include these features in Samplitude! :(

It is not just a good idea, it's a great idea!

Sure. The details you mentioned would however take away all the (meaningful) functional differences in that field between Sequoia and Samplitude. Having the video track with multiple references implies editing. The capturing parallel with audio is certainly not a mainstream targeted function given the momentary ressources on a typical workstation, let's forget about that.

I don't think that it makes much sense in respect of differentiating the product. In respect of offering more features for less money, it is obvious that it would be desireable for you. On the same account, it also would devaluate the product for the existing Sequoia users, generating the need to compensating them with even more features the Samplitude users won't get, and that leads certainly to the next request like yours.

I kind of find it hard to believe that Samplitude getting a simple video track is going to undermine a 'major feature' in Sequoia. If it is, then maybe they need to reconsider that $2k price difference. ;)

-tkr

Well, it's however the fact. The Sequoia Video Track comes with a fundamentally different Video Engine. This Video Engine has the following discriminating functions that are under the hood:

- it is threaded. More than one CPU can be used. Playing back a video in Samplitude hits only one CPU.

- more formats are supported

- it has better sync stability

- it has better control over overlays

- AFAIK, the Main Concept library is used to handle all decoding

At first sight it seems difficult to believe that one could swim here without getting wet. Maybe some of you rather need to re-consider if it might be worth to take the plunge... ;)

Regards,

Sebastian

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it's however the fact. The Sequoia Video Track comes with a fundamentally different Video Engine. This Video Engine has the following discriminating functions that are under the hood:

- it is threaded. More than one CPU can be used. Playing back a video in Samplitude hits only one CPU.

- more formats are supported

- it has better sync stability

- it has better control over overlays

- AFAIK, the Main Concept library is used to handle all decoding

At first sight it seems difficult to believe that one could swim here without getting wet. Maybe some of you rather need to re-consider if it might be worth to take the plunge... :)

Regards,

Sebastian

I did take the plunge, but I still think jcorbett has a very valid point here. And IMO Sequoia should be much more packed with high end video/post features than Samp to justify the price difference. That said, I also think Sequoia should be able to do export to quicktime and not only AVI. Who uses AVI these days?

Ola

IMO Sequoia should be much more packed with high end video/post features than Samp to justify the price difference.

Agreed. But vice versa anything that narrows the gap is not exactly what produces that result.

That said, I also think Sequoia should be able to do export to quicktime and not only AVI. Who uses AVI these days?
I do. What is the problem with AVIs? It's a great container format. You can have just about the same codecs. I am afraid you are mixing up Quicktime Pro as an encoder solution with the container format.

/S

IMO Sequoia should be much more packed with high end video/post features than Samp to justify the price difference.

Agreed. But vice versa anything that narrows the gap is not exactly what produces that result.

That said, I also think Sequoia should be able to do export to quicktime and not only AVI. Who uses AVI these days?
I do. What is the problem with AVIs? It's a great container format. You can have just about the same codecs. I am afraid you are mixing up Quicktime Pro as an encoder solution with the container format.

/S

No, not mixing anything up. It's about handling files to and from post facilities/production houses in a standard delivery format( and well used codec :) ) with a minimum of hassle..

QT (PhotoJPG codec) works great as a source in Sequoia, should be export format as well.

In my world people are not using Vegas or Premiere, but almost exclusively Final Cut.

Ola

/S

Lots of people still using .avi's with no real need to convert, since Premier and Movie Edit Pro can handle them fine (in my world). Although I'm seeing mostly .m2t's for HD stuff.

I'm finding QT's the least friendly handoff (for some reason).

Greg