Cant Record More Than One Track At The Same Time ?

asloo

Using SE9, I am trying to record acoustic guitar using a microphone. So i have one mic going into my interface, and in Sam i choose mono mix in. I would like to record on several tracks at once, maybe panned to different directions. Sam wont let me record enable more than one track.

In other software such as Cubase, there is no problem i can click record enable on several tracks and record several tracks at once using the one mic.

Am i doing something wrong ?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hi Thanks,

In Samplitude you can only record one track per device. Obviously, recording the same signal on several files simultaneously doesn't make a lot of sense, as you can do anything you might imagine with a single mono source virtually. (That applies to Cubase as well, btw.). You can however assign the same input device to all tracks of your project and record one after one...

I may point at another mistake: Choosing Mono Mix means that two channels of a device are mixed to one Mono signal. There is again no situation where this would make sense, other than your soudcard has some serious limitations, like crashing when you open only one side of a Stereo device. That's what this setting is for. The remaining cases are:

1. You have a Mono microphone. Then, you are recording with 6 dB attenuation, while adding the idling noise of the other side to your signal.

2. You have a Stereo microphone. Self explaining.

The correct way to record a mono source is simply to choose Mono and set the Pan accordingly in Samplitude.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sebastian

Hi Thanks,

In Samplitude you can only record one track per device. Obviously, recording the same signal on several files simultaneously doesn't make a lot of sense, as you can do anything you might imagine with a single mono source virtually. (That applies to Cubase as well, btw.). You can however assign the same input device to all tracks of your project and record one after one...

I may point at another mistake: Choosing Mono Mix means that two channels of a device are mixed to one Mono signal. There is again no situation where this would make sense, other than your soudcard has some serious limitations, like crashing when you open only one side of a Stereo device. That's what this setting is for. The remaining cases are:

1. You have a Mono microphone. Then, you are recording with 6 dB attenuation, while adding the idling noise of the other side to your signal.

2. You have a Stereo microphone. Self explaining.

The correct way to record a mono source is simply to choose Mono and set the Pan accordingly in Samplitude.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sebastian

Thanks for the reply and excuse my stupidity, but..... If i choose mono in Cubase for example I am recording signal on both the left and right channel from the mono microphone.

if i choose mono in Sam, I am only recording the left or the right channel. If i move pan, i go from signal to no signal both in recording and playback.

Does this make sense? I assume i want a mono signal on both left and right. If i choose mono in Sam, im only recording on the left channel.

Please straighten me out here. anyone.

Thanks

Hi Thanks,

I am a little puzzled what the issue might be...

first, do we agree that a Mono microphone sends only one output, that is Left or Right?

Regards,

Sebastian

hmmm, actually that depends. It is only recording from one input, left or right, but when recording I want the recorded material on both channels, in this case anyway. I dont want just a one track recording of the guitar on the left channel(the channel of my interface, input 1). I want to record from that one input, on one track, on both the left and right channels, dont i ??

I still mean that you should record a mono signal to a mono file. The mixer does the trick anyhow: that means, you can still position the signal anywhere on the pan. Conventional pan distributes one input signal to n outputs (n is 2 fo Stereo). Put the pan in the 0 dB position, and you are set.

Regards,

Sebastian

• 3 weeks later...
... I would assume i would want it recorded on both left and right channels, but you seem to be saying record it only on one channel then play it back on both ????

hi asloo,

you understood right. you set your audio input of your track to those source you have your guitar on. if you have only a mono mic, first set your track to mono and then choose either left or right channel (depending where the signal comes in, in your case Input 1 = left).

now arm your track and record. you will see only the left volume indicator moving but the result is a mono-file with one channel, no left nor right, only "middle".

but your playback will send this signal to both channels of your stereo soundcard simultaneously until you pan the signal either right or left. means: when you trackbounce your project you will get a stereo file by default or you define to have a mono-file.

hope that makes things more clear to you.

(...sometimes normal things are too normal for lomg time users...)

cheers, andy

you set your audio input of your track to those source you have your guitar on. if you have only a mono mic, first set your track to mono and then choose either left or right channel

This is a question of getting things in the right order:

-- First set mono

-- Then select the input channel

-- Then arm record.

What bugs me is that I havent found a way of doing the first two things together: I have to open the menu twice.

but your playback will send this signal to both channels of your stereo soundcard simultaneously until you pan the signal either right or left. means: when you trackbounce your project you will get a stereo file by default.

Stereo it is not: it is still mono, sent to both L & R outputs

:huh::unsure::lol: David

you set your audio input of your track to those source you have your guitar on. if you have only a mono mic, first set your track to mono and then choose either left or right channel

This is a question of getting things in the right order:

-- First set mono

-- Then select the input channel

-- Then arm record.

What bugs me is that I havent found a way of doing the first two things together: I have to open the menu twice.

but your playback will send this signal to both channels of your stereo soundcard simultaneously until you pan the signal either right or left. means: when you trackbounce your project you will get a stereo file by default.

Stereo it is not: it is still mono, sent to both L & R outputs

:huh::unsure::lol: David

highlight the track you will be recording on, and hit shift+R (default key command) to bring up the record parameter menu and setup all device I/O channel, mono (or mono mix), output file names, track names, etc. - everything is there.

I also built a template VIP that I can load in an instant that already has all of these types of things configured and ready to go.

Greg

... or you use the possibilities of the track-editor on the very left side, where all setting also can be made...

cheers, andy

I cant see that this is any different from what I am doing. I still have to click to get the menu to change from stereo to mono, and then re-open the menu to select the input channel.

But maybe I am missing something here.

David

... or you use the possibilities of the track-editor on the very left side, where all setting also can be made...

cheers, andy

I cant see that this is any different from what I am doing. I still have to click to get the menu to change from stereo to mono, and then re-open the menu to select the input channel.

David

You shouldn't have to reopen the menu to setup the input channel. The recording parameter window has everything in it.

Greg

cheers, andy

David

You shouldn't have to reopen the menu to setup the input channel. The recording parameter window has everything in it.

Greg

BUT... When you start a new VIP with four tracks, the recording input is set to 1/2 for ALL tracks, and then one cannot switch between the tracks on the Record Parameter panel, because only one track at a time can be put into record ready.

Sorry that the above is a complicated sentence. :lol::D:P Do I make myself clear?

Actually, it seems that ALT-I gives a panel that can be used efficiently. It is called Mixer Options.

David :):):)