Playing With Blocks

asloo

Lately, ive been playing with blocks. Blocks of audio or midi that is. For example i will have many blocks of audio and then arrange them into a composition. I seem to run into slight timing offsets and things of that nature, and i was wondering if there were "tricks" , key controls or functions

that i am not utilizing to keep things in better place, while moving these blocks around.

Another good example. lets say i have a composition made up of many parts, or blocks. Then i record a new bit, after the other pieces. Is there a good way to insert this block into a position in the song and have the other pieces snap around it??

In other words insert a new bit of music anywhere in the composition, and have the later parts line up right ?

Difficult to explain, but if anyone has any tips in this area, id appreciate it .

asloo

Lately, ive been playing with blocks. Blocks of audio or midi that is. For example i will have many blocks of audio and then arrange them into a composition. I seem to run into slight timing offsets and things of that nature, and i was wondering if there were "tricks" , key controls or functions

that i am not utilizing to keep things in better place, while moving these blocks around.

Another good example. lets say i have a composition made up of many parts, or blocks. Then i record a new bit, after the other pieces. Is there a good way to insert this block into a position in the song and have the other pieces snap around it??

In other words insert a new bit of music anywhere in the composition, and have the later parts line up right ?

Difficult to explain, but if anyone has any tips in this area, id appreciate it .

asloo

I don't know of any way to insert objects and have the others slide out of the way, but it would be a great feature :)

Otherwise, if you turn on snap, you should be able to move objects around keep timing intact.

Greg

I guess the simplest version of what you're asking for would be a Three Point Edit (two source points and one destination point). Unfortunately, that's only available in Sequoia.

But you can do pretty much the same thing in Samplitude if you split objects at the cursor "T" and then enable "Link all tracks". Create enough room for your insert object(s), then Snap the material on the right back on. In classical work, we simply live with whatever minor tempo changes result. In pop production, you could enable Snap to Bar, and then use Elastic Audio to make the inserted material fit.

David

For now, just shift click the front and back objects and slide them over to make an opening for the new object.

Snapping to objects helps if you're not using a beat grid.

Since Movie Edit Pro has a similar feature on the video NLE side of things, then it might be possible to setup a push/shove/insert mode.

I know of no other hosts that really do this (if so, then not very elegantly since most don't use 'real' objects).

Greg