RickShapiro

Using Music Studio 14 As A Learning And Eval Tool

I'm considering moving from my current DAW product to Samplitude Pro. I really want to get some realtime experience learning the workflow and application. Rather then use the limited time demo I'm thinking about picking up Music Studio 14 and doing some small projects. Does Studio 14 workflow and menus sufficiently match those of Pro for leaning purposes?

To get going on workflow, and tracking, mixing, etc. MS does great.

There are some things turned off, and there is a limit on no. of plugins, etc.

For the price though, it's a killer deal.

Greg

There are some people here, like me, coming from Music Studio.

Yes, you can do some serious work with MS and it's the same workflow as Samp.

Just for the moment, don't imagine using the istruments of MS in Samp...

JMM

There are some people here, like me, coming from Music Studio.

Yes, you can do some serious work with MS and it's the same workflow as Samp.

Just for the moment, don't imagine using the istruments of MS in Samp...

JMM

You can always freeze the instrument tracks and then import them into Samplitude Master/Pro later on.

Also, I haven't had any problems with 3rd party VST's in MS VIP projects opening in Pro.

Greg

I have to tell you folks I'm very impressed. I have them all, Live, Sonar, Reaper and Tracktion among other midi specific environments Project 5, Reason and FL Studio. I did my first session in Music Studio and found the workflow and audio engine just great. I know others have said this but man if Samplitude Pro was priced in the range of Sonar Professional and Cubase it would eat substantial market share. Anyway I'm still on the border financially to making the commitment, I'm a sophisticated hobbiest but a hobbiest never the less and it is a substantial purchase.

Thanks everybody for commenting on this thread.

I have to tell you folks I'm very impressed. I have them all, Live, Sonar, Reaper and Tracktion among other midi specific environments Project 5, Reason and FL Studio. I did my first session in Music Studio and found the workflow and audio engine just great. I know others have said this but man if Samplitude Pro was priced in the range of Sonar Professional and Cubase it would eat substantial market share. Anyway I'm still on the border financially to making the commitment, I'm a sophisticated hobbiest but a hobbiest never the less and it is a substantial purchase.

Thanks everybody for commenting on this thread.

first post =]

I haven't bought any DAW yet, but I am looking for something now. I am an aspiring musician (piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass) and I want something to help me create the compositions in my head. I keep reading forum after forum (btw, this seems to be the most active forum I've read). after reading this thread and I'm sure I might get slapped cause I'm asking this... but why is samplitude 10 so much more then sonar 8 and cubase 5?

what makes it better then the rest. I keep reading the sound the sound, but I've also read where it is pretty much in peoples heads that it sounds better. I am going to try the demo cause on this other forums (gearslutz) I read everyone is like oh samplitude is better then wavelab, samplitude is better then soundforge and peak (all that is for the mastering). BUT.. always a but =P the midi isn't really comprehensive to cubase or even sonar.

I'm not sure how much I will need midi, I've only used logic in school and it made me wanna scream a lot.

Anyway . . . Is samplitude 10 pro equal to sonar 8 producer or cubase 5? idk, I've read so much today I think I am more confused then I was before I started.

and is reaper any good?

btw- I am still in high school so when I see $$$ I cry

You can contact Tom Sailor at Orangehillaudio.com and find out the latest price for Pro - since it's basically in-line with 'Cubonar'.

Happy you discovered 'out little secret' re: Samplitude in this crazy marketplace.

Greg

Anyway . . . Is samplitude 10 pro equal to sonar 8 producer or cubase 5? idk, I've read so much today I think I am more confused then I was before I started.

and is reaper any good?

btw- I am still in high school so when I see $$$ I cry

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, Samplitude is in approximately the same market segment as Cubase 5, Sonar 8, Nuendo, and Pro Tools. IMO Reaper is still new and still mimicking/copying a lot of the basic favored features of the other major hosts such as Samplitude - and it's price-point puts it more in league with Music Studio - except that Music Studio has tons more features for the money, and is a much more mature program.

The Reaper and Cubase people are very loyal to their program, so many don't venture out to see what Samplitude is really about.

I would say if you're mainly doing audio ESPECIALLY check out Samplitude to see what it can do.

There's plenty of tutorial videos and support here if/when you need it.

Good luck,

Greg

I have been using Sam9 since Sonar 6&7 had been letting me down since 2006

I have reaper

I have Music Studio

I have Reason

Will be upgrading to the Next version of Samplitude

It works better, and sounds better in my experience

It has NEVER let me down in the way I use it

Samplitude Blows Sonar away in reliability and sound IMHO

Not a fanboy type statement, but a fact in my workflow

It takes a bit of learning curve, but is relative to Sonar except

It works ! Every time ! Never crashed

Athlon XP 2400+ 1G

tryS6,S7, S8 on that machine and it wont run enough to write and record

(EDitEd: My production machine is a core 2 duo dedicated powerhouse)

The folks around here are quite knowledgeable and very helpful

Music Studio is a great app and will get you familiarized, when you finally decide to upgrade to Samplitude Pro

I transitioned with very little effort ( and many thanks to Kraznet for the tutorials )

My opinion and experience

Do you guys work for Samplitude?

Right now I am looking at the different programs. What I don't understand is the pricing and I am wondering if I am comparing the right things.

Samplitude comes in different packages 10 Master, 10, 10 Pro, and Music Studio 14. I know the Master is for mastering which isnt what I need yet and idk the real difference between 10 and 10 Pro. Is there anyone that can point that out to me?

I was taking the top one "10 Pro" and comparing it to the top one at Cubase which is just called 5.. I think. If that is the comparable product can anyone explain why Samplitude is $999.99 and Cubase is $499.99 and it's the same with Sonar 8 Producer $499.99. Either Samplitude kicks that much ass or its greedy.

I think I am comparing the wrong products, maybe 10 and not 10 pro is comparable to 5, it is really confusing. :P

I can't find a real comparison anywhere and really with naming the parts of the program like Am-munition or Loop Mash... that only makes it worse for a new guy.

I joined the Cakewalk forum but no one talks about other products then their own. I know that people use more then one program and I am reading a lot of people saying that Samplitude sounds better or less coloring. I get that, but I am also reading that Samplitude has a large learning curve. Do you think I should invest in the Music Studio to really test it all our or will I be missing something that could make the difference. I have downloaded the demo for Samplitude 10.

Spring Break needs extended =[

btw how is support for samplitude? i just read on the sonar forum that this guy cant get anyone on the phone from cakewalk he is wanting to jump ship. =/

Samplitude version comparisons here:

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/vers_unt.html

For pricing and crossgrade deals, contact Tom Sailor at Orangehillaudio.com and he'll get you sorted out.

Samplitude support is excellent, and the forum support is courteous, professional, and the devs frequently participate.

(none of that bantering like on the other forums :P )

Greg

@ enFuego

Try the demo. It's a full version of Samplitude 10 (not pro) for 30 days evaluation.

You can do everything with it. Recording, editing, mastering, burning.

The program is easy to learn.

Use the video's made by Kraznet, they're on the Samplitude site.

If you want to go deeper in the software the learning curve is longer, but for fast recording, editing and mastering, it can be learned within a few days.

And a good thing to do is to search this forum for topics regarding stuff you want to know.

If you can't find it ask.

Update your computer with the latest drivers, tweak your OS with the provided tweaking guides from Orangehill(search this forum as well) and you probably will have a good time with Samplitude.

I started with Music Studio about 7 or 8 years ago.

Tried Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper, Sonor, ProTools, but in the end Samplitude is what I liked most.

-peter

btw how is support for samplitude? i just read on the sonar forum that this guy cant get anyone on the phone from cakewalk he is wanting to jump ship. =/

forum is great. Some very helpful people here.

I just downloaded SMS 14 to use as an on-location capture tool. The demo version has proven to be excellent! Ed (stratcat) good to see you over here as well!

-D

I just downloaded SMS 14 to use as an on-location capture tool. The demo version has proven to be excellent! Ed (stratcat) good to see you over here as well!

-D

Why disn't you try the Samp 10 DLV ? You can use it completely during 1 month.

Personnaly, coming from SMS, I find Samp10 more stable and with a better management of ASIO drivers. It's important for live recordings.

JMM

Oops. Bad news for me.

(After some 30 hours with Samplitude, videos and manual, I just discovered that I'm still not really able to operate the solo button...)

Oops. Bad news for me.

(After some 30 hours with Samplitude, videos and manual, I just discovered that I'm still not really able to operate the solo button...)

??? could you elaborate on what happens ? Solo is a very basic function.

JMM

Oops. Bad news for me.

??? could you elaborate on what happens ? Solo is a very basic function.

JMM

Thanks for asking.

The first time I left-clicked Solo, the button turned yellow but nothing else happened. Then I right-clicked it and tried several of the options offered. One of them finally gave me what I wanted.

I guess Samplitude here offers an array of useful options for soloing a track either with or without several other things like groups, busses, sends, inserts...

There is passage about that in one of Kraznet's videos, but I can't find it right now. I also read the manual, but it gave me the feeling that I needed an engineering degree to understand what it was saying. Not exactly my definition of "easy to learn".

----

(I'm surely not the smartest guy around, but I'm not completely stupid either. I'd be willing to accept that Samplitude is only addressing an audience of accomplished audio professionnels, which I'm not. But here in Germany a crossgradable Samp 10 SE is destributed in magazins. Seems like Magix is targeting a customer segment right now which I am belonging to. I'm willing to take the bait, but it seems a pretty tough one to swallow. Sorry for bothering anyone with my frustration.)

----

(I'm surely not the smartest guy around, but I'm not completely stupid either. I'd be willing to accept that Samplitude is only addressing an audience of accomplished audio professionnels, which I'm not. But here in Germany a crossgradable Samp 10 SE is destributed in magazins. Seems like Magix is targeting a customer segment right now which I am belonging to. I'm willing to take the bait, but it seems a pretty tough one to swallow. Sorry for bothering anyone with my frustration.)

Well, we've all been in your position at one time or another - at least I have been - but that was years ago.

I think very soon you'll find yourself suddenly having an epiphany when everything will suddenly make sense. ;)

Greg

----

Well, we've all been in your position at one time or another - at least I have been - but that was years ago.

I think very soon you'll find yourself suddenly having an epiphany when everything will suddenly make sense. :)

Greg

Thanks! Now I won't give up too soon. ;)