akpop

How To Use "learn Hardware Controller"?

Sorry for this stupid question, I can't believe I have to ask this, but I'm unable to figure it out:

How can I use the "Learn Hardware controller" feature from Samplitude's plug-in menu to assign a knob of my MIDI keyboard to a parameter of my plug-in!??

The manual says I have to go to "Hardware Controller setup" first and I tried to do so. Unfortunately I do not fully understand what's going on there...

If I turn a knob on my keyboard I can see that Sampitude recieves a MIDI mesage but nothing else happens.

What am I missing? Where can I learn more?

I'm trying to use a Novation Remote keyboard (no Automap involved) in Samplitude 10.1.

Well, at least now I know that it wasn't a stupid question... ;)

(Hm, probably the MIDI data all go to the track and I have to find a way to route it somehow to the VST in the inserts...)

Phew, ok, got that.

(Sometimes no midi data got through to the "Hardware controller setup|Cusomize controler"dialog. I had to open the MIDI options and ok them without any changes. Then midi got through...)

Please could you explain how exactly you got this to work in the end? I am having a similar issue...

Which automation mode do you have it set for?

Try touch or latch as well as read mode.

Greg

Please could you explain how exactly you got this to work in the end? I am having a similar issue...

Yes, details please!

I have a PCRM80 and would also like to see how others get this to work

Thanks

I've been spending this morning acquainting my Kenton Control Freak with Teh Samp.

Even though there is theoretically a profile for the Freak, and I have played mightily with various configurations of selectable MIDI data options, the results are, um, twitchy at best. :angry:

There are very few things I miss about my passing acquaintance with FL Studio -- but I will say this. They made it possible to simply right-click on ANY visible parameter, select "Learn," wiggle your controller and BAM, parameter learned. That's a jaw-dropping attribute, omg what a simple, intuitive workflow.

It seems rather more complicated in Samplitude.

But I keep working at it!

Cheers all.

:)

EDIT: Okay, for future searchers of this thread... The trick is that the "Learn" button (this is in the Hardware Controller setup menu) must be HELD DOWN AS you wiggle the hardware controller. Thank you, Users Manual, for this crucial bit of information -- NOT!!!! :D:lol: I found it by trial and error. Also (and this was in the manual), once a controller has been properly assigned, THEN you can start to reassign it to wherever you want via the mixer's "Learn Hardware Controller" option.

I will say that Samplitude's instantiation of "ghost" faders until one latches onto the position of the fader in your mix is pretty frackin' brilliant. An elegant solution to the problem of those without motorized controllers. Cheers, Samp team!

EDIT: Okay, for future searchers of this thread... The trick is that the "Learn" button (this is in the Hardware Controller setup menu) must be HELD DOWN AS you wiggle the hardware controller. Thank you, Users Manual, for this crucial bit of information -- NOT!!!! :angry::) I found it by trial and error. Also (and this was in the manual), once a controller has been properly assigned, THEN you can start to reassign it to wherever you want via the mixer's "Learn Hardware Controller" option.

I will say that Samplitude's instantiation of "ghost" faders until one latches onto the position of the fader in your mix is pretty frackin' brilliant. An elegant solution to the problem of those without motorized controllers. Cheers, Samp team!

Awesome - thanks, I thought it was me

I admit my experience setting up automation in Ableton Live vs. Samplitude tells me that Samplitude still needs some work in this area (as far as simplicity), but is yes very good now. It's more flexible in Samplitude, with more options vs. the dirt-easy way of setting it up in Live - so it's a matter of preference.

I have setup automation using an older Yamaha 01Vx96 mixer (that I'm admittedly still tweaking because it's underutilized), and an Oxygen 49, which is very easy to setup in Live, but also has other limitations in scope.

Greg

I must admit I'm still finding this baffling.

Suppose I connect my Oxygen 61 MIDI keyboard controller to my PC and run Samp.

Then, in the 'hardware controller' dialogue, I add it as a controller on the 'controller setup' tab (with MIDI in from the Oxygen).

On the 'customize controller' tab I wiggle a fader, choose 'mixer > master > fader master' then click LEARN.

Now when I open the mixer I can see the master fader moving as I move the fader on my keyboard. Good.

So what is the 'learn hardware controller' option meant to do?

Suppose I now choose this from the mixer icon menu. I then move the master panpot on the screen. I move the hardware fader already associated with the master fader.

The master fader continues to move, and the panpot is not 'learned' to the hardware controller that I already assigned to the master fader. Was it supposed to be? It would seem so, according to the manual. What am I doing wrong or overlooking...? :rolleyes:

UPDATE: This is driving me nuts. I just did the exact same steps again, and this time it worked. I have been able to change the assignment of a hardware fader from the mixer master fader to one of the Eq bands, for example.

BUT 'learn hardware controller' doesn't appear to work with any plugins... :)

SECOND UPDATE: On my next attempt to do the same thing with a plugin, it DID work. Madness...

THIRD UPDATE: while I'm on a roll... it seems it DOES work for VST plugins on normal tracks, but not for those inserted in the master track.

Hm, after playing (or tormenting myself, depending on how you look at it...!) with this some more, I'm hoping it's been improved in Samp 11!

I am frustrated, for instance, by the lack of a way of managing learned hardware settings.

After some trial and error I discovered that these are stored in a file called "Dump.cvd" in the Samplitude/controlpanels folder. This can be opened with a text editor and with a little perseverance it's reasonably straightforward to work out what in the file corresponds to what.

I encourage anyone who uses the learn hardware facility to back up their Dump.cvd file because all the learned settings appear to be reset when opening the hardware controller page in system options.

But as always, maybe I'm missing something -- the manual isn't as clear as it might be on how all this stuff works... :rolleyes: