Multiple Cpu And Threading - Mulitcore

I'm seeing a couple of threads referring to lack of stability or functionality in mulitcore systems. I'm planing om purchasing both Samplitude Pro and a new computer. I'm looking at the I7 CPU. I'm planning on running XP until most of my VST and drivers are update to run on 64. Can some give me definitive information on how Samplitude utilizes a four core (8 threads) system?

Thank you,

Rick Shapiro

I too am wishing for some enlightenment on this question. I'm auditioning Samplitude 10 on my quad core XP machine, and, strangely, Samplitude and all its plug-ins appear to be using only one core.

There's a button in Samplitude preferences labelled "multi-CPU support", but it doesn't affect what I'm seeing in the task manager. Also, the "DSP" display in the bottom left hand corner is only displaying the usage of that one core. It's showing 20 to 60% CPU usage while three cores are sitting idle. Not good at all. I'm getting constant ASIO buffer dropouts (sound stops dead), and this may be part of the problem.

I see threads where people are asking the questions, but I don't see the answers...

~Doug

I too am wishing for some enlightenment on this question. I'm auditioning Samplitude 10 on my quad core XP machine, and, strangely, Samplitude and all its plug-ins appear to be using only one core.

There's a button in Samplitude preferences labelled "multi-CPU support", but it doesn't affect what I'm seeing in the task manager. Also, the "DSP" display in the bottom left hand corner is only displaying the usage of that one core. It's showing 20 to 60% CPU usage while three cores are sitting idle. Not good at all. I'm getting constant ASIO buffer dropouts (sound stops dead), and this may be part of the problem.

I see threads where people are asking the questions, but I don't see the answers...

~Doug

I'm hoping this is not the case. I just purchased SamPro and ordered a new I7 computer. Quad core capable of 8 threads.

~Doug

I'm not sure why this is, Samplitude addresses all cores here on my Core2 Quad system.

Make sure that multi-cpu support in Samplitudes system options is enabled.

Checked the Windows task manager to make sure that CPU Affinity is set to use all processors.

CTRL-ALT-DEL, Processes, Right-Click on SAM10_E.exe, Set Affinity, Make sure all processors are checked.

Mark

Also, I think the download demo is not V10.21, and I think there were some improvements over the past couple updates since V10.01 or whatever the demo version is.

Word is that Samplitude has been tested on up to 8 cores, but I haven't seen those test results.

At least definitely go for quad core and plenty of RAM if you're getting a new machine.

Greg

Also, I think the download demo is not V10.21, and I think there were some improvements over the past couple updates since V10.01 or whatever the demo version is.

Word is that Samplitude has been tested on up to 8 cores, but I haven't seen those test results.

At least definitely go for quad core and plenty of RAM if you're getting a new machine.

Greg

Yes, the demo is 10.01 -- perhaps that explains the discrepancy between my experience and Mark's? I checked the affinities -- all four cores are enabled. Strange.

Another strangeness -- in system info in Samplitude, it reports 4 gigs of memory. I do have 4 gigs in this machine, but WinXP only recognises 3.2. Perhaps this explains the weird memory errors being reported by plug-ins -- "running out of memory..." Is Samplitude trying to access all 4 gigs of memory? Hmmm...

Greg

Yes, the demo is 10.01 -- perhaps that explains the discrepancy between my experience and Mark's? I checked the affinities -- all four cores are enabled. Strange.

Another strangeness -- in system info in Samplitude, it reports 4 gigs of memory. I do have 4 gigs in this machine, but WinXP only recognises 3.2. Perhaps this explains the weird memory errors being reported by plug-ins -- "running out of memory..." Is Samplitude trying to access all 4 gigs of memory? Hmmm...

Your BIOS will report 4gb but under Windows XP 32bit memory model only 3.2gb can be addressed.

They should also update the demo to reflect a more current version, that's a marketing decision.

Mark

Greg

And what happens when you turn off multi-CPU support in system settings/performance?

Are you currently running with a 3G switch turned on in your BIOS (since you're still running XP).

You should probably post your system spec. Which plugins? Hardware? Soundcard, etc.

Greg

p.s. I'm personally waiting for Windows 7 and bypassing Vista. Some people on the forum are already running Vista 64 with good results.

And what happens when you turn off multi-CPU support in system settings/performance?

Are you currently running with a 3G switch turned on in your BIOS (since you're still running XP).

You should probably post your system spec. Which plugins? Hardware? Soundcard, etc.

Greg

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether multi-CPU support is on or off.

I didn't see any 3G switch in my Bios.

This is a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P INTEL Q6600 2.40G machine. Mackie 1620/Firewire. Plug-ins: native instruments acoustic piano & guitar rig 3, waves GTR 3, EZ drummer 1, etc.

I'll do some more testing when I have some time...

~Doug

Greg

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether multi-CPU support is on or off.

I didn't see any 3G switch in my Bios.

This is a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P INTEL Q6600 2.40G machine. Mackie 1620/Firewire. Plug-ins: native instruments acoustic piano & guitar rig 3, waves GTR 3, EZ drummer 1, etc.

I'll do some more testing when I have some time...

~Doug

You can add the 3Gig BIOS switch manually. It's not there automatically.

I've read mixed things about Waves stuff, but I don't have any, so not sure.

Greg