akpop

Recording Midi Woes

I watched Kraznet's video on midi recording several times and tried it myself. It basically works, but not trouble free:

1) I'm experiencing far more latency while recording than in my other host (Orion, same setup, same VSTs, same ASIO buffer size). So much that quantizing doesn't work correctly. What can I do about that?

2) If I record, say, 4 bars and play over the limit into the 5th bar, then (after confirming to keep the recording) Samp replaces the recorded "MIDI Take1" with "MIDI Take2". The latter only has one hit in th efirst bar. If I open the Track Manager it's empty. No track in there.

If I switch off "Loop" before recording, Samp automatically switches it on again as soon as I start recording (recording mode Normal).

3) If I switch MIDI In source from my keyboard to my Axon system then I don't hear any sound. Samp recieves MIDI data, though, and I can see the peak meters operating while I play!? (Monitoring is activated)

I'm evaluating Samplitude 10 downloadversion with an Edirol USB audio interface. Any known issues with those?

Any hint appreciated, thanks in advance!

I watched Kraznet's video on midi recording several times and tried it myself. It basically works, but not trouble free:

1) I'm experiencing far more latency while recording than in my other host (Orion, same setup, same VSTs, same ASIO buffer size). So much that quantizing doesn't work correctly. What can I do about that?

2) If I record, say, 4 bars and play over the limit into the 5th bar, then (after confirming to keep the recording) Samp replaces the recorded "MIDI Take1" with "MIDI Take2". The latter only has one hit in th efirst bar. If I open the Track Manager it's empty. No track in there.

If I switch off "Loop" before recording, Samp automatically switches it on again as soon as I start recording (recording mode Normal).

3) If I switch MIDI In source from my keyboard to my Axon system then I don't hear any sound. Samp recieves MIDI data, though, and I can see the peak meters operating while I play!? (Monitoring is activated)

I'm evaluating Samplitude 10 downloadversion with an Edirol USB audio interface. Any known issues with those?

Any hint appreciated, thanks in advance!

• If you're loop recording/comping - such as recording over the 4 bars, then I think the different TAKES should show up in the Take Manager. Track manager would I believe only see the take that's visible in the track.
  • Not sure what to tell you about latency - I also use an Axon, and actually PREFER it to say, a Roland due to it's lower latency, and Samplitude doesn't seem to slow down if receiving good data.
  • If you have loop turned off, then you may still have a range highlighted. I think this has been fixed, but may not be fixed in the DLV.
  • Not sure why switching from keyboard to Axon doesn't work other than you may have to reset your MIDI input drivers in the systems settings ('Y' key).
  • Haven't heard of any issues with Edirols...

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks for responding!

While recording audio, the take manager is fine, but not with midi tracks. Sometimes recorded tracks show up in the manager, sometimes not. As to me take management with audio is far more important, I probably can live with it (I just have to be careful while recording midi).

I found a long list on gearslutz.com about fixed midi bugs in 10.2 (DLV is 10.1). Or maybe it's my setup (all those Novation stuff).

With the Edirol USB I thought, maybe firewire would have less latency. But today, recording without click, I had no problems with latency (maybe that click threw me off..).

I found a long list on gearslutz.com about fixed midi bugs in 10.2 (DLV is 10.1). Or maybe it's my setup (all those Novation stuff).

When you will buy Samp10DLV, you will be able to upgrade to V10.2.1 using the Samplitude support site.

JMM