Spectral Cleaning

david-p

I have been experimenting with Spectral Cleaning in Samplitude 9. I am pleased with the results.

Perhaps v. 10 is differently organized, but if not my comments may be useful as pointers for improvements.

It takes so long to do the actual cleaning that one wants to be able to do it all in one go. In the event I took four goes. As recommended, I put markers on all the places where I needed to clean (my object is 20 minutes long), then entered Spectral Cleaning.

I feel that the navigation is clumsy. It would be helpful if there were shortcuts for moving between the markers when in SC (like F2/F3 in the VIP). Another difference is that, unlike in the VIP, you cant click beside the button at the bottom that allows you to move horizontally.

I would like to be able to use shortcuts to nudge the edges of the rectangle that is drawn over the noise to be removed. The mouse control is not sensitive enough for making small changes to the rectangle size or position. The handles are often difficult to see.

The process writes what appears to me to be a backup file called *FX.wav. When I had finished, I looked at this wave and found that it is four times as long as the object, because it has four versions of it end to end. In my case it was 1.6GB, which takes up a lot of disc space. Why not overwrite this file each time SC is called on the same object?

Perhaps I have missed something, that others have found that will help me to use this tool more efficiently. I hope so. The manual is...

David

hi David,

I use it a lot, and find it very useful. But I prefer work on small part.

When you have put your markers on VIP, select a little range over the first marker and press T (split). While it's still selected press your shortcut for SC. You will be fast and work only on the part that need a correction. Then the saved file (_FX.wav) will be very short.

Do this for your four part. If you need / want to save a complete file now, bounce the whole VIP, the result is the original file (1.6gb), four little _FX files, and a new 1.6 gb complete corrected file.

In v10, SC was improved. I don't know for v11 yet...

Hope this helps

best regards

Phil

When you have put your markers on VIP, select a little range over the first marker and press T (split). While it's still selected press your shortcut for SC. You will be fast and work only on the part that need a correction. Then the saved file (_FX.wav) will be very short.

Hope this helps

Hi Phil!

Yes, this tip will help a great deal! Thanks!

David