Jeddan

Best Samp setting for rec only, which will be exported???

Before i start seriously recording anything i have few questions that some of you may help me out with... My idea of using Samp is to recording tracks myself and then export for reamp and mix. Please be patience ;)

First of all, should i set it to "Each Rec take in a new file" cos...?... Samp is set as 32bit float as default which i will not "use" for mix or so. Therefore i'm thinking of 24/24bit float to avoid unneccessary convertion (incl. Bounce or Mix to File). Just copy files from Samp (explorer) then import in other DAW. Is OMF helpful then?

One think to consider is that i may want to ;) edit/cut/paste the takes but no effects will be used. Will 32bit float give any advantages then?

Economy H/W mode was my first thought to rec with but after reading about sound changes using different engines and buffers i'm now confused what to use...??? It may sound charming with harmonics on Hybrid but cleaner and accurate on economy. Should i use Hybrid for acoustic gtr and Economy for El gtr Di signal that will be reamped?

If bounce option is the one to use then no Dither and 24bit resolution (no 32bit float) is the way to go, right?

Greatful for all help, Dan

....or maybe is recording in 32/32bit even better for transport to other DAW?

Thanks

I heard something somewhere about protools not being able to handle 32 bit float waves. I could be mistaken.

I heard something somewhere about protools not being able to handle 32 bit float waves. I could be mistaken.

PT would add the "colour" i try to avoid for reamp/mix and mastering.

Can Logic handle 32bit float and how is the sound quality compared to Samp/Seq?

Anybody?

I do everything in 32-float, and then render 24-bit files for use in other DAWs.

Sound quality will be good using this method.

Greg

I do all recordings in 24 bit.

32 bit float is only needed in case you want to save Sam's DSP processing to these files.

32 bit files cannot be read by all DAWs.

So this is a simple decision...

32 bit float is only needed in case you want to save Sam's DSP processing to these files.

Ok, thanks.

Isn't there any benefit of 32bit float when editing?

I'm not dealing with other DAWs, so everything is done in 32.

If I need to render stems for other DAWs then I export at 24.

Greg

What is this colour that you speak of? Might have to use pt for some project.

A to D converters all output 24 bits so the only time to write 32 bit float files is when you are rendering some kind of DSP calculation. Digidesign doesn't support 32 bit float files intentionally because a conversion to fixed point can clip the audio. Conversion really needs to be handled in an audio application that reads and writes both 32 bit float files and 24 bit fixed with the ability to optimize the level.

What is this colour that you speak of? Might have to use pt for some project.

I have used Cubase and PTLE for few months and compared to (sceptical) Samplitude, Cubase sounds kinda compressed/squashed and PT adds a character i'am not a fan of. Like Neve to Millennia.

I even hear a diff between Samp 10 and 11 B)

A to D converters all output 24 bits so the only time to write 32 bit float files is when you are rendering some kind of DSP calculation. Digidesign doesn't support 32 bit float files intentionally because a conversion to fixed point can clip the audio. Conversion really needs to be handled in an audio application that reads and writes both 32 bit float files and 24 bit fixed with the ability to optimize the level.

I guess there is no reason for me to record higher than 24bit/24bit float unless the 32bit float give advantage when edit.

To be clear, i will try to avoid studios that use PT and Cubase/Nuendo. Never heard Logic though... I hope to find "quality" studio that mix/reamp/master with Samplitude or Sequoia.

Does anybody tried "Each take in a new file" and then use OMF/AAF for transport to other DAW?? Something happens with audio quality during Bounce&mixtofile therfore i'm into OMF thing...

As you work between formats you need to separate the diff between wave file bit depth and mix engine bit depth. Your wave files are recorded at 16, 20, or most often 24 bit, NOT float. All of today's software takes 24 bit wave files. Samplitudes mix engine works at 32 bit floating point (unless you set it different). Any fade in/out, EQ or volume changes will become 32 bit at output.

If you record in samplitude and then export to PT just render your files at 24 bit mono. In fact every software I can think of will take 24 bit mono with no issues.