bpaller617

vst plugins and windows 7

Hi---I'm new to this forum and i'm an avid sam user for a couple of years now--I've recently bought a new computer for my wife but i'm thinking of using it for recording.

amd dual core--4 gigs of ram--windows 7 running at 64 bit. I can download the windows 7 driver from the m audio web site for my interface and i understand that samplitude 11 will run under windows 7. I'm wondering if my plugins will work though. I've got a ton of plugins including waves mercury collection and many other vst's. All these plugins run great on my current system (windows xp with pentium 4 3.06 and 1 gig of ram) These are older plugins and i think they were made to work on 32 bit os. I don't want to try installing everything though if my plugins aren't going to work.

Can someone save me the time and tell me if my plugins will work under windows 7

I would like to record on the new computer with 4 gigs of ram (more tracks and plugins)

Or do i need to just try each plug in and see if it works (this would take a lot of time)

I really don't want to install everything to find out that my plugins won't work

thanks in advance

bruce.

p.s.---is there a way to set windows 7 to 32 bit so my plugins would work?

Many of the pluggins you will have to check with the manufacturer. Often older generations that contain direct X such as the Waves bundles will not work. They will need to be updated and then you will have to use the vst version.

Alternatively if your Windows 7 supports Virtual PC you could then install Samplitude under XP mode. This of course is not ideal but it could work.

All these plugins run great on my current system (windows xp with pentium 4 3.06 and 1 gig of ram) These are older plugins and i think they were made to work on 32 bit os. I don't want to try installing everything though if my plugins aren't going to work.

Well, if u have 64-bit os then it will make sense to use 64-bit host program. Though there are some plug-ins (32-bit ones) that have some problems while running under the 64-bit host. In that case u can use special soft that let u run 32-bit plug-ins under 64-bit os, for example jbridge which wll cost u about 15 bucks.

Waves does not work with 64 bit windows yet - check the waves support site for compatible operating systems. 

Waves does not work with 64 bit windows yet - check the waves support site for compatible operating systems. 
I wonder why? I haven't hit a single glitch in the three weeks I've been running wondoze7 64 bit.

Really? Glad to hear it's ok for you. I haven't tried - I remember someone else on this forum mentioning they had problems opening the Waves GUIs on a 64-bit system.

thanks guys for the response---I think i'm gonna have to just try the plugins under windoes 7 to see if they work. I'm thinking some will and some won't.

I'll keep you guys posted as to the outcome of this----I'm keeping my fingers crossed.