Horrible crackling in 11 pro.

redddog

The hits keep coming with this new build.

So I'm finally ready to track with the new rig (i5 750, win 7, Samplitude 11 pro, 4 gig Mushkin 1600 RAM).

Everything's working fine. I set up a project and get a guitar sound that I like (in Vandal, which sounds very good, BTW). I then set up EZdrummer with 8 outs to seperate tracks. Fine. I'm auditioning drum sets and setting up velocities with my Korg Padkontrol and suddenly, no sound. Drums respond visually in the vsti but no sound. Then I go to play the guitar and the sound coming from Vandal sounds horribly crackly.

I initially blamed the Audiofire 12 I have because even after removing Vandal, the crackles were there with just a signal to the track. But I have since rules out the AF 12 because in stand alone, outside of Samp, the sound is great.

This now happens in any project I open, both new or older. Any ideas?

Thanks so much, guys.

Thanks so much fellas!

Samp 11.1.1.

Hybrid engine. Buffers are @ 64 samples but I have alsways been able to go there. Playback on older VIPs (with plugs) is fine. It's just when I try to record. I've moved the Buffer slider all the way (creating like a 2 second audible delay) and it's less but still there.

Everything was fine until EZD. Now nothing works.

Using Track Folder as Submix Bus at the same time causes crackling often. The workaround is to uncheck "Track type: Submix Bus" in the folder track's option window and to create new mixbus - i.e. to separate mixbus from the folder track.

Regards,

Serge

Hybrid engine. Buffers are @ 64 samples but I have alsways been able to go there. Playback on older VIPs (with plugs) is fine. It's just when I try to record. I've moved the Buffer slider all the way (creating like a 2 second audible delay) and it's less but still there.

Everything was fine until EZD. Now nothing works.

Remember that too large a buffer size can mess with you as much as too small.

So you have to find the balance.

IS the only time you get this is working with EZ drummer?

Hey Tim. Thanks for your input.

So, I tried moving the buffers slider all along the spectrum and while the crackling lessened (say @ 1200 samples) it was still crackly. All the way to the end was the same.

The problem started with a dropout of drum sounds when working in EZD and now any source has the crackle. I've removed the instance of EZD and the problem persists - on any source with monitoring or recording enabled.

My old pentium D830 machine (with 1 gig of RAM) was able to get to 64 samples in Samp 9 pro. The new machine should handily out-perform that rig. And playback of older projects is crystal clear. If it were a buffer setting, wouldn't playback with a buzy number of tracks and processing be affected by low buffer settings?

Something tells me this is something very stupid.

Using Track Folder as Submix Bus at the same time causes crackling often. The workaround is to uncheck "Track type: Submix Bus" in the folder track's option window and to create new mixbus - i.e. to separate mixbus from the folder track.

Regards,

Serge

Tried this but to no avail. Thanks though, Serge.

Also try ASIO4ALL as an optional driver to see if there is something going on with the hardware driver.

Is EZ sample library on same drive as Samplitude?

All redundant background processes turned off?

Greg

Hardware seems fine.

I first thought it was the hardware, but in stand-alone, there isn't a problem. It's only when I arm a track and send the signal to the track that the crackle happens.

EZD is out of the conversation at the moment. I'm not even opening the original VIP that this happened in. I'm in a new VIP just trying to get a clean signal to record. I do believe that the problem occured with EZD (like it changed a setting that needs to be undone) but that's just a theory.

It's can't be normal system latency as the specs for this machine are 10 times better than my old machine, which ran flawlessly.

Thanks again guys!

What OS? Win 7

What audio interface/card? Echo Audiofire 12

Download and reinstall you audio driver. Done

UAD? No Sir

Does this happen with WDM? Will see

What engine in Sam;Classic or Hybrid? Hybrid

Is the DAW hooked up to the internet? Not usually. just for DLs and then disconnected

Antivirus running? No Sir

What other programs are running at the time of error? Just Vandal

Thanks again, Tim.

It has : IEEE 1394 VIA® 6308P controller supports 2 x 1394a ports (one at mid-board; one at back panel)

You should contact Echo and see if they have any issues with the VIA controller.

From their site:

http://www.echoaudio.com/Support/FAQ.php#6

The crackling sounds like a classic case of the FW issue.

OK.

Changed the FW port to a TI one. No change. Changed to legacy drivers. No change.

In a related incident. I installed Reaper just to make sure it wasn't a Samp related problem and it was the same horrible crackling there. So it's not a Samp specific issue.

I'm now back to Echo and their drivers. I've never had an issue with their drivers before but it's either that or my new quad core monster of a computer can't hold a candle to my old dusty old hobbling man of a computer that I used to use (d830 with 1 GIG of RAM).

I hate computers. :)