Samplitude Music Studio MX?

Silent Sky

I was just browsing through the hobby software at a local Best Buy store, and guess what I see? A Magix bundle with Music Maker MX + Samplitude Music Studio MX + a 6 GB loop library. It does look like they may have downgraded some features, like the 96 kHz max sample rate in Producer has been lowered to 48 kHz in MSMX. But it looks like there are also some nice new features included, too.

I, for one, am happy to see a new boxed version of Music Studio here in the U.S., as there wasn't a boxed version of Samplitude Producer--it was available as a download only. I'm just surprised that MSMX is already available as a boxed version on store shelves, while the Magix website still shows Producer 11.5.

I do have the MX version, and I can tell you it's even a downgrade of the Music Studio 16 version.

I bought it, but it's a waste of money.

They removed the Take Manager!!!!!

You cannot even use loop recording, because there is no Take Manager, like there was in MS16.

I do have the MX version, and I can tell you it's even a downgrade of the Music Studio 16 version.

I bought it, but it's a waste of money.

They removed the Take Manager!!!!!

You cannot even use loop recording, because there is no Take Manager, like there was in MS16.

No they didn't.

Take Manager and Take Composer are still there.

post-620-0-88533700-1318713131_thumb.png

Open up a new manager window under View>Manager>Take Manager

Greg

p.s. sorry Moon - forgot that I'm using ProX :P. Haven't installed MX version yet, so can't check for the TM.

Hi,

the track manager is still there:

Regards

Werner, I was talking about the Take Manager, not the Track Manager.

BTW, Magix already confirmed the missing Take Manager and they say it will not come in MX via a patch.

AFAIK they don't patch their consumer products, because they release a new version every year.

If it returns in the program it will be in a new version, probably MX2.

-peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Werner, I was talking about the Take Manager, not the Track Manager.

BTW, Magix already confirmed the missing Take Manager and they say it will not come in MX via a patch.

AFAIK they don't patch their consumer products, because they release a new version every year.

If it returns in the program it will be in a new version, probably MX2.

-peter

I sincerely hope they patch this consumer version as it has more than it's share of bugs. The new docking system is a mess! Disappearing MIDI editor menus, mislocated screen elements, etc. Heck... MSMX starts up inactive and in the background on my machine - BEHIND other windows!

Scott

I just got word that the Take Manager will not return in Music Studio.

It's a decision made by the Marketing dept.

It looks like they may have removed another not so minor feature. At least on my AMD dual core laptop... MSMX uses only a single core!!!!! They other core is ignored apparently entirely! There are no performance adjustments in the system settings dialog like there are in the normal versions of Samplitude!

If that's the case it's a TRAGICALLY BAD DECISION on the part of marketing. MSMX should have a reduced feature set, which it does, but if they purposely reduced the performance they aren't going to convince anybody to upgrade to the the Pro products. They will simply chase them away to other DAW's.

NOTE:

I checked the Producer 11.5 docs and the performance settings have been removed from Producer as well! No multi-core support in a $200 product???????

Scott

It looks like they may have removed another not so minor feature. At least on my AMD dual core laptop... MSMX uses only a single core!!!!! They other core is ignored apparently entirely! There are no performance adjustments in the system settings dialog like there are in the normal versions of Samplitude!

This is nothing new. To my knowledge, Music Studio and Producer have never offered multi-core support or optimizations for some strange reason.

This is nothing new. To my knowledge, Music Studio and Producer have never offered multi-core support or optimizations for some strange reason.

Strange indeed...

They already heavily de-feature Samplitude in order to make Music Studio which makes good sense. I understand you don't want a low-end product canibalizing sales of a high-end product. However, the whole point of the low-end product is to make some money AND show people what a great high-end product you have so that they upgrade to the real money product.

If you PURPOSELY diminish the performance of the low-end product to the point where it will not perform decently on a standard machine then you end up chasing customers away to your competition. This is pretty basic marketing that I would assume Magix understands, but if MSMX really has no support for multi-core they are only harming themselves.

I hope we're wrong about this.

Reaper is $60 and it supports multi-core!

Yeah, you wouldn't expect that multi-core support/optimizations would really be considered a "feature" that would be disabled, but sure enough, it is.

That's simply poor business decision making.

"Well, this car is our base model. It only turns left. If you want the full range of "features", you'll need to look at our luxury line. The Super-Deluxe model has gold accents and turns both directions!"

It's just basic marketing... Remove features when creating a base model, don't remove basic functionality. These days being able to actually use the power your computer offers in the form of multiple cores is basic design for any computationally intensive application.

I once bought an HP all-in-one scanner, copier, printer and found after several days of using it that there was in fact NO WAY to make a grayscale copy. Yes that's right... every copy was full color and there was nothing you could do about it. Some IDIOT at HP decided that was a great way to sell more ink! Even HP's support people couldn't believe it when I brought it to their attention. HP, in their infinite wisdom, decided that you would have to spend $100 more to get the copier that had the B&W Copy button that wouldn't use all your color ink duplicating the shade of the paper you chose to write notes on.

I never purchased another HP product. That kind of grotesque greed simply drives customers away.

Hey Magix... are you listening? You don't get people to upgrade to the high-end product by creating a poorly performing base model.

If we are right about you purposely removing multi-core support, then you are actually producing an introductory product that requires a faster, more powerful computer than the professional model because the pro model will take advantage of the all the cores while the base model ignores all but one.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!!!

• 1 year later...

One year later... Nothing happened... I guess I buy Reason, Cubase Artist, Reaper or something else. Samplitude Music Studio 16 is nice, but you know the features they don't support (64-bit, ..) . I tried the trial of the latest versions: The docking system is so uncomfortable and the old midi editor was much better. So possibly I even wouldn't use Samplitude Pro X (without regard to the price).