automating VST plug ins

Gene Clart

Hi All,

Just come over to Samplitude after finally giving up with PT LE.

Loving it!

However, I'm wondering how on earth do I automate my VSTs? - I need to tweak the frequency on my Eq - yes I'm not using the native eq yet - old habits die hard.

I've got a heavy guitar riff with lots of bass freqs in it, as soon as the drums and bass come in it all gets a but muddy so I'd like to tweak the bottom end on the guitar track at that point in the song.

I could duplicate the track and chop the object, but that's cheating ;) (I know, I know, there's no such thing as cheating...)

Ta

Gene

There are actually a few ways. If the guitar is just one single track (object) you could cut it where the drums etc come in, double-click on it so the object editor comes up and just use an EQ on that object. Everything before will stay the same. If the guitar is made out of several tracks you can copy and paste that EQ with the Copy/Paste and Apply to All symbol & button in the object editor. Or...

Option number two is to open the Track Editor and select under Automation the parameter of the EQ you wanna automate. Then simply curves up and down like in PT.

Best,

Peter

Hi All,

Just come over to Samplitude after finally giving up with PT LE.

Loving it!

However, I'm wondering how on earth do I automate my VSTs? - I need to tweak the frequency on my Eq - yes I'm not using the native eq yet - old habits die hard.

I've got a heavy guitar riff with lots of bass freqs in it, as soon as the drums and bass come in it all gets a but muddy so I'd like to tweak the bottom end on the guitar track at that point in the song.

I could duplicate the track and chop the object, but that's cheating ;) (I know, I know, there's no such thing as cheating...)

Ta

Gene

What EQ are you wanting to automate Gene?

Regards

Kraznet

• 2 weeks later...

If the guitar is just one single track (object) you could cut it where the drums etc come in, double-click on it so the object editor comes up and just use an EQ on that object.

Sorry if I'm cutting in here.

Wow......I didn't realize that would be a good thing to know until I saw your answer Omics. I mean, I knew that Samp was "Object Based" but just never really thought about it - my vocals are still recorded in one take so I have one "track" but that track is actually an object that can also be cut into segments for mixing and mastering and I can associate different eq's and effects with a particular "object" - woooooooh! It's great when these things sink in.

So that's why Samp has such a mind-boggling way of naming tracks: Because the track has a name, but the objects within the track have different names! Double woooooooh!

Thanks Omics! :)

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the tips guys sorry for late reply!- slicing the object was the best solution.

Samplitude blowing my mind on a daily basis at the moment as I mix my next album.

Kraznet - that was probably R eq from Waves. I've now pretty much gone native with in the box EQs - EQ116 for surgical EQ.

Thanks guys