MLJ

Rewire trouble in Samp 10 Pro

Hi Samp gurus,

I know this is an old version to be talking about, but I hope someone has an idea. I am building a mobile recording rig. I have a new Dell I5 quad core laptop, Win 7 64 bit, with an external 7200 performance drive. I have an Avid Mbox interface, with Protools, Reason 6.02, BFD2, some VSTi softsynths, and finally the program I have been using for years now, Samp 10 Pro ( I know it's time to upgrade, ). I found the info on this site to get it installed under Win 7 ( Thanks to Tim Dolbear and others). I got Samp to run, but my Vsti's (BFD2, and softsynths) won't show, although my VST effects do. Then I actvated rewire, and now when I open Samp I get a message before it even opens fully that says "unable to open rewire subsystem, error: 9) Can anyone help me fix this or am I stuck buyng an upgrade? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi Marty,

Interestingly enough I get the very same error when I open Sequoia 11.21. But when I open Samplitude Pro X ReWire works no problem. Do you have any ReWire enabled programs installed? I have Melodyne x32 and x64 and they show up in Samplitude Pro X and Sequoia 12. I have had a similar error message in the past but I can't remember how I fixed it. I will investigate further and get back to you.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Marty,

Interestingly enough I get the very same error when I open Sequoia 11.21. But when I open Samplitude Pro X ReWire works no problem. Do you have any ReWire enabled programs installed? I have Melodyne x32 and x64 and they show up in Samplitude Pro X and Sequoia 12. I have had a similar error message in the past but I can't remember how I fixed it. I will investigate further and get back to you.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraznet,

I was hoping it would be you that answered me. Even though I don't post much, I have been using Samp since version 5, but I never had problems I couldn't figure out until now. But, I've seen that you are good at figuring these things out.

I have Reason 6 installed, and it is a rewire enabled program, it works fine under Win 7. I also have some VSTi's that don't work in Samp 10 on this machine, although one of them (BFD2) shows up and works in Pro Tools. Samp will load fine, but if I check enable rewire then it errors as soon as I try to open it, although after the warnings it does open. Everything works fine in my old machine with XP SP3, including the VSTi's, BFD2, and Reason. Thanks,

Marty

Hi Marty,

The weird things is that since I tried this morning when I had the subsystem error now when I open V11 the error is now longer there and the Rewire devices are showing in the list. No idea what has changed since then. The plot thickens...

Regards

Kraznet

Well as a test I just installed Samplitude 10 Pro on my Windows 7 computer. I enabled ReWire and it seems to be working without any subsystem errors. Certainly that proves it is possible for it to function on an x64 computer. It's just a case of working out how to get it to function on your laptop.

One thing you could try is to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Propellerhead Software then check if there's a Rewire dll in there and see what date it is.

Regards

Kraznet

Well as a test I just installed Samplitude 10 Pro on my Windows 7 computer. I enabled ReWire and it seems to be working without any subsystem errors. Certainly that proves it is possible for it to function on an x64 computer. It's just a case of working out how to get it to function on your laptop.

One thing you could try is to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Propellerhead Software then check if there's a Rewire dll in there and see what date it is.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraznet, boy I sure appreciate all the trouble you've gone through for his, I feel guilty.

I did consider that there is a conflict with the rewire.dll in Reason and the one in Samp 10. The one in Samp 10 is certainly a 32 bit dll, while I'm guessing the one in Reason would be possibly a 64 bit one?

I looked in the path you mentioned above for the reason rewire.dll, and can't find one. But, guess what.. I just found it in c:\Program Files\Common Files\propellerhead software\rewire\rewire.dll. Date is 3/25/2012. What do you think, should I try renaming it to save it and then see what happens? Thanks a lot,

Marty

I thought I remember reading while researching this that there might be a problem when there is a conflict with different versions of rewire. Is that what you're thinking too? I just don't know what to do about it.

Regards,

Marty

I just looked at the rewire version from my old XP machine that has Samp 10, and Reason 6, and the Propellerheade Rewire.dll on it is dated 10/6/2011. I think that Reason installed itself as a 64 bit app when it installed on my Win 7 machine. I wonder if I placed the rewire on the XP machine onto the Win 7 if it would work? I think there should be both of them, or maybe neither, I just don't know to be honest, That's how I got my codemeters to work on the Win 7 laptop, I installed the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and the codemeter worked for samp and Reason. I guess I have to ask you what you think the next best step might be.

Marty

Hi again,

I tried copying the older Rewire.dll from the Reason folder on my XP machine into the rewire folder on the win 7 machine and I got an error about rewire not woeking from both samp and reason, so I changed it back and got things working again. I guess I'm out of ideas now. Later,

Marty

Hi there,

i think we have a time differnece as I'm in the UK. If you have installed Reason it will have installed the 64 bit by default so V10 won't recogonise that. I believe it's possible to install the 32bit version on Windows 7 but only from the Reason CD/DVD. I don't have Reason retail only the demo version and I can't test it in V10 as it's the 64bit verson.

Cheers

Kraznet

Hi there,

i think we have a time differnece as I'm in the UK. If you have installed Reason it will have installed the 64 bit by default so V10 won't recogonise that. I believe it's possible to install the 32bit version on Windows 7 but only from the Reason CD/DVD. I don't have Reason retail only the demo version and I can't test it in V10 as it's the 64bit verson.

Cheers

Kraznet

Hi,

Yes I am in Washington State USA, pacific standard time. So, you are suggesting perhaps reinstalling Reason in 32 bit mode? I will try that. I suppose I could also try removing Reason and seeing what happens as well. Have you heard of different versions of Rewire, such as Rewire 1.7 and 2.0? Do you know what they are for and whether they would pertain to my situation? Thank you so much for your time.

Marty

Hi again,

So, you are suggesting perhaps reinstalling Reason in 32 bit mode?

I think it may be a good idea mainly because Samplitude V10 is 32bit so it would need 32bit Reason in order to connect to Samp using Rewire. Maybe it will give you the option to install both 32bit and 64bit versions? Then you can use the standalone version in 64bit and the slave version in 32bit?

Have you heard of different versions of Rewire, such as Rewire 1.7 and 2.0? Do you know what they are for and whether they would pertain to my situation?

I'm not really an expert on Rewire but the version I have is 2.60

I have attached 32bit Rewire dll which you could try in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Propellerhead Software folder it says it's 2.60

Cheers

Kraznet

ReWire32.rar

Hi again,

I think it may be a good idea mainly because Samplitude V10 is 32bit so it would need 32bit Reason in order to connect to Samp using Rewire. Maybe it will give you the option to install both 32bit and 64bit versions? Then you can use the standalone version in 64bit and the slave version in 32bit?

Have you heard of different versions of Rewire, such as Rewire 1.7 and 2.0? Do you know what they are for and whether they would pertain to my situation?

I have attached 32bit Rewire dll which you could try in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Propellerhead Software folder it says it's 2.60

Cheers

Kraznet

Thanks again, I'll do some experimenting, and if I get somewhere, I'll post it, FYI.

Regards,

Marty

Hi again,

Cheers

Kraznet

Thanks again, I'll do some experimenting, and if I get somewhere, I'll post it, FYI.

Regards,

Marty

Hi again,

Cheers

Kraznet

Regards,

Marty

Hi Kraznet,

I got it working finally. I forced Reason 6 into installing in 32 bit mode. I also installed the 32 bit rewire.dll file you sent me in Win 7 in the windows\SysWow64 folder, as that stopped Samp from giving an error "unable to open rewire subsystem, error: 9". I tested it and it works, so the answer is that both the slave and host as well as the respective rewire.dll's must be 32 bit. for Sap 10 to work in Win 7 64 bit.

I do have one question if you might know the answer, does Samp have to have the rewire.dll file installed? and if so, what is the proper file location for it? I must have gotten lucky, or it doesn't have to have it, but maybe you know where it goes by default.

Anyway, thank you very much you are very kind to help.

Best regards,

Marty

I downloaded the demo of Pro X and could not get rewire working. After reading the posts here... I went digging..... In the folder where you installed samplitude, there are instructions on how to install rewire... I have uploaded all the files needed....

Rewire.zip

just need to follow instructions from

C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Samplitude_Pro_X_Suite\Customize\ReWire\

rtf file...

It's a conflict with the ones who come with magix samplitude and the ones in \common files\propellerheads software\rewire\

I know thread is old, but last three hours I try to figure out what's happen... and I solve it.