Chris Thom

See through waveforms

Chris

It's in the System/Audio Options -- Hit the "Y" key; then go to the Design->View Options page. I think what you're after is in the Waveform Display frame.

Still not happening as you can see from this screen grab.

Also, what you can't see from this pic is that on the lower layer, everything after the upper layer is placed is gone. I'm not sure if this could be part of the problem.

I hope I'm explaining myself OK.

Chris

It's in the System/Audio Options -- Hit the "Y" key; then go to the Design->View Options page. I think what you're after is in the Waveform Display frame.

post-20859-0-49509500-1338566109_thumb.jpg

Chris,

Sorry, I guess I'm not understanding, but a couple of observations. In either the Transparent or Interleaved mode, the actual overlapped waveforms/samples are still difficult to see unless you use something like red/blue alternation mode or some other means to clearly differentiate between the two.

Also, what you can't see from this pic is that on the lower layer, everything after the upper layer is placed is gone.

Perhaps I'm a bit dense this morning, but I'm not at all clear on what you're saying here. As I understand things, the "overlap" these functions help clarify is the area of a cross-fade "connecting" the two objects. Beyond the boundaries of the cross-fade, you would logically only be able to see the "active" object, even if the original "end" of the first object would lie beyond the right hand side of the cross-fade. I think what you're saying is that you want to drop a smaller second object somewhere in the middle of a larger first object, and it won't let you do that. It won't as far as I know. I think what you'd have to do is split the original large object into two, and then insert the original second object between them, adjusting the two cross fades to "replace" the part of the original desired. Does that make sense? I wish I knew how to make and post one of those little videos to illustrate the point, but video is a bit beyond my capabilities at this point.

Me and Chris talked and did a screen share, he did not have crossfades on and so to see the waveform he was talking about, he need to have a crossfade and then when you open it wide, you can see the two wave forms on top of each other and can then align phase and timing...something I showed him in Nashville a few weeks ago. He's all set now :-)