bachstudies

Ammunition preset input levels?

I've recorded a couple of classical concerts recently at 24-bit 96kHz and have peaks around -10dB. If I want to use Ammunition's classical mastering presets for a quick and easy master preview, what input levels are the presets designed for? I don't normalize my tracks before editing but I would like to know if my recording levels need to be bumped up a little after the fact to take advantage of the programming. It must make a difference in terms of ammunition's threshold, output gain settings etc.?

I doubt that anyone would know (or remember) the source levels for the presets. If you're inserting Ammunition as a plugin at the track level, maybe just throw a gain plugin (such as the free Sonalksis FreeG) in front of it, or use the Input Gain/Trim knob in the Mixer, and push the level going into Ammunition more or less to see how it responds. Or, if you're putting Ammunition on the Stereo Master bus, you could simply use the track fader.

I've recorded a couple of classical concerts recently at 24-bit 96kHz and have peaks around -10dB. If I want to use Ammunition's classical mastering presets for a quick and easy master preview, what input levels are the presets designed for? I don't normalize my tracks before editing but I would like to know if my recording levels need to be bumped up a little after the fact to take advantage of the programming. It must make a difference in terms of ammunition's threshold, output gain settings etc.?

cheers,

I made a few mastering-presets for sascha back in the time when he was finishing this little dynamic beast... those where marked "BH" in the V11 of Samplitude, now, in Sam Pro X, my hidden credits are gone ;) .. nevertheless you can find them due to the fact that I insisted to have RMS-values described in the preset-name...

as a good starting point for almost anything that needs transparent but "grippy" mastering I recommend

"Touch Of Class -15dB RMS MS" and

"Touch Of Class -22dB RMS MS"

the "MS" tells you that those presets "correct" the mono-signal a tad ...

use the peak-meter with the "PPM + RMS"-preset, in order to translate my RMS-values described above

be it phat!

robert

EDIT:

I just realise you are talking about "Classical" music. In my opinion classical music shouldn't be compressed much at mastering-stage. try the limiter alone... gently. you DONT want to squeeze the macro-dynamics of a classical recording. different things apply to scores in hollywood-blockbusters, some of them are "mixed-genre"-productions and need some hot density...