thyrdeye

Fractal Axe FX and Magix Vandal:

As technology marches on, gear improves...or sometimes gear that has been around for a while and costs a lot more than the lower end product is just better. Some people say comparing Fractal Axe FX and Magix Vandal is like comparing apples to oranges....they are not even in the same league.

I thought the first POD was pretty great. Then I liked the Vox Tonelab better. Glad I never got guitar rig or amplitube. I think Vandal is pretty good.

It will never end....but has anyone tried Axe FX....is it the one to finally replace tube amps?

I need the money for a new DAW anyway. But at some point the ultimate (hardware...I'd rather it be hardware than a plug in) will replace tube amps for digital recording. Or even analog recording.

good link about the subject

http://chrisporro.com/?p=1003

Personally, I love Vandal. I wish the newer versions were more automation friendly. To use it live you have to go back to the VST version 1.104.

But, rods is right. S-Gear is really good and costs $75 for 2 licenses. You can get a fully functional demo that works for 2 weeks to try it out.

I am currently using S-Gear exclusively or on stage work.

To use it live you have to go back to the VST version 1.104.

I love Vandal too and I use it live with version 1.105 (included in Samplitude 11 Pro). My setup is:

E-guitar - ART Tube MP Studio V3 - Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3 (as Footcontroller and Audio Interface) - Notebook with win 7 and Samplitude 11 Pro - Studio Monitors.

Unfortunately 1.106 and 1.107 (included in Samplitude Pro X Suite) does not work without problems in connection with a footcontroller. The existing bugs have not been fixed yet.

Regards Peter

I own a Fractal Axe 11, & had the Ultra before it. It's a great machine, though, IMO, it does not replace a well miked, nice amp.

There is something about the immediacy of an amp that makes the Axe sound like it's doing a fabulous impression of an amp, but it's telling only some of the story, sonically.

When I got my first one, around 4 years ago, I thought it was great & that I could sell off all my amps, but that turned out not to be the case, just wishful thinking.

It sounds fat & thick etc, as far as EQ goes, but there is definitely something missing in its attack; that slap you get from being in front of a speaker.

Vandal, S-Gear & Onqel are excellent choices & cost bugger all by comparison. If I were not using the Axe for gigs (FX only) I would stick with VST plugins. BTW, Torpedo cabinets are also excellent.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Bob.

Thanks for the input about the AXE. It always comes back to "nothing like a real amp". I'm talking about recording here. I live in an apartment and I got a Fender Blues Deluxe and a hotplate. Which in retrospect was pretty stupid idea (a hotplate with a combo amp?). It got an awesome sound, but not much better than my vox tonelab at the time. I did recording using both of them. I have a cheap vox pathfinder (not even tube) which cost like $130,

It sounds great with guitars and I will try miking that. Sure, if I had the money I would have a Vox, a Fender, a Marshall Stack and maybe an Ampeg Gemini 1

but I'm not going to build an isolation chamber cause I live in an apartment. I should have bought one of those 5 watt boutique amps that have rave reviews, I know they can cost a pretty penny.

Anyway...I will post some rock songs using acoustics and all the electric guitars are Vandal. It sounds damn good, but I can't help think...if I only used a great well miked amp.

I do spend hours tweaking the presets including some great pre's from some great forum members.

Thanks for the input about the AXE. It always comes back to "nothing like a real amp". I'm talking about recording here. I live in an apartment and I got a Fender Blues Deluxe and a hotplate. Which in retrospect was pretty stupid idea (a hotplate with a combo amp?). It got an awesome sound, but not much better than my vox tonelab at the time. I did recording using both of them. I have a cheap vox pathfinder (not even tube) which cost like $130,

It sounds great with guitars and I will try miking that. Sure, if I had the money I would have a Vox, a Fender, a Marshall Stack and maybe an Ampeg Gemini 1

but I'm not going to build an isolation chamber cause I live in an apartment. I should have bought one of those 5 watt boutique amps that have rave reviews, I know they can cost a pretty penny.

Anyway...I will post some rock songs using acoustics and all the electric guitars are Vandal. It sounds damn good, but I can't help think...if I only used a great well miked amp.

I do spend hours tweaking the presets including some great pre's from some great forum members.

You could try putting something like a Japanese Futon around the amp. I've done that in an apartment & it's worked a treat!

Cheers,

Bob.

Have a look the "Kemper profiling Amp"

;)/>

Personally, I love Vandal. I wish the newer versions were more automation friendly. To use it live you have to go back to the VST version 1.104.

But, rods is right. S-Gear is really good and costs $75 for 2 licenses. You can get a fully functional demo that works for 2 weeks to try it out.

I am currently using S-Gear exclusively or on stage work.