Sveestock

Is there a limit to VSTs?

Hello

I am testing Samplitude Pro X vs Cubase 7, possibly expanding from Ableton.

I have to choose a DAW for my unversity studies and sadly Ableton Live is not on the teacher's choice list.

There is a problem in Sam with VSTs, which after the scan are shown, but in grey as inactive.

What I have noticed is, that this is probably a quantity-dependable issue and plugins start to grey-out after a certain number of plugins scanned.

I have tried the scan .ini file adjustment, as suggested by Kraznet, brought my values up to 10-10, but it is not the case.

Is there a given limit to the plugins in Sam? Is it possible to override this?

Thanks

Sorry but I didn't see your post until just now.There is no limit on the amount of VST's you can use in Samplitude.I don't understand what you mean when you say they are "greyed out". Do you mean in the list when you go to insert a plug-in? I've never experienced that before. Can you post me a screenshot? Providing you haven't already decided upon Cubase.

Regards

Kraznet

hello Kraznet!

thanks for responding

sure, here it is

it happens to all plugins, no matter 32-bit or 64-bit, as long as those are moved to the last positions on the directory.

i have tried many arrangements to set the directories, scanned about 6-7 times with cleaning the .ini before each scan.

what is happening on screenshots - i have added a plugin in one of the first directories ande the last plugin shown as valid on image n.1 now faded to grey on image n.3 .

and the whole PCM directory, shown on the first picture is gone.and some mlre plugins are grey unsure.png

image 2 shows that PCM directory is still present in the system.

it seems like i can't even post my pix in proper order here on forum.

is it a symptomatic behaviour in Sam?

basic script problems?

post-21866-0-00328400-1382038370_thumb.jpg

post-21866-0-02143200-1382038376_thumb.jpg

post-21866-0-76638000-1382038438_thumb.jpg

Hi Again,

Well that is strange. in all the years I've been using Samplitude I've never seen greyed out entries in my VST plug-ins list. I seem to remember testing the PCM Reverb plug-ins are while back and they all showed up. You don't really need to set the scan depth to 10. 3&3 should be fine. To be honest at this moment I can't think of a solution. But as a shot in the dark have you tried running Samplitude as administrator to see if that makes any difference?

Regards

Kraznet

it is currently running with admin rights.

i have tried it without before that.

weird stuff indeed.

nothing to do with the particular PCM plugins , it has also happend with other plugins while testing.

when the number of plugins reaches a certain border, don't really know which, the remaining lot down the list just go grey.

it is difficult to see what the actual score is, because while most of the plugins in the bottom rows are grey, some in the same groups may look fine,

altough, when you choose those - some other plugin would pop up instead.

i don't have a video capture software, i can't show you how it happens, but it does.

the 2nd attached picture of UAD plugns is symptomatic.

if i move those plugings way up in my VST directoryy renaming the folder with 00, they work fine, but when it is down the directory

-

that's how it looks like (see the attachment), and when one of those is picked, it will trigger some random plugins from other directories to come up.

it is probably a bug and a nasty one ,if so.

thanks for your attention, anyway.

p.s. as you can see on the 1st picture - i have moved the UAD directory up with "00" rename and it is now functional.

and even the PCM directory has reappeared, although, other bottom directories's plugins went grey....

post-21866-0-31607100-1382048521_thumb.jpg

post-21866-0-23622800-1382052349_thumb.jpg

Very strange I'm not quite sure what's going on there. I will send an email to one of my contacts at MAGIX and get him to look at this thread and see if he can come up with a solution.

Regards

Kraznet

Very strange I'm not quite sure what's going on there. I will send an email to one of my contacts at MAGIX and get him to look at this thread and see if he can come up with a solution.

Regards

Kraznet

Cheers

thanks for your assistance, no further help is needed.

i have made my DAW choice, it is Presonus Studio One.

as for the problems i have experienced with Sam Pro, just to be fair - situation in Sonar is even worth, DP 8 and Cubase have similar problems too.

actually, DAWs which can handle VSTs almost trouble-free - are those "newcomers" Ableton Live and Presonus Studio One.

all of the "old-school" DAWs carry too much of the past in their chock-full (even if newly overwritten) interfaces, imo.

greets

I have no idea about the greyed out thingy.
Second issue: It seems that those plug-ins might have the same plug-in ID like our eFX. There is no authority or way to organize that between all plug-in developers I guess.
And you shouldn't have used so many bridged plug-ins. Always use x32 plug-ins with x32 Samplitude and x64 plug-ins with x64 Samplitude
Anyway, good luck in the future!

André

And you shouldn't have used so many bridged plug-ins. Always use x32 plug-ins with x32 Samplitude and x64 plug-ins with x64 Samplitude

is there a way to prevent 64-bit Sam from bridging (32-bit plugins scanning) ?

would be great it there was such a feature.

Second issue: It seems that those plug-ins might have the same plug-in ID like our eFX. There is no authority or way to organize that between all plug-in developers I guess.

This: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/us/resources/vst_scanner/vst_scanner.htm might be useful for detecting ID clashes and other issues with VSTs.

The author writes:

"VST-Scanner was designed according to two main concerns :

"1 - Preventing the host application from self-detecting the VST plugins available on the system. As Steinberg did not provide for any reliable installation and detection procedure for VST plugins, the process remains dangerous and may be harmful. Therefore, VST-Scanner will be in charge of that task.

"2 - Reducing the time it would take to diagnose and solve possible problems. The VST standard is used by hundreds of different products which were created over a long period of time (10 years) during which the standard itself was modified. Being 100% compatible has become a challenge, on the plugins' side as well as on the hosts' side."

FWIW, IIRC the original VST spec was produced in a hurry so that a competing proposal from Emagic would not gain full traction.

thanks, i have tred this one. it crashes constantly biggrin.png

anyway, the problem will remain in all above mentioned "VST-not friendly" DAWs.

only Presonus and Ableton scans cleared all my plugins.

as for Logic, yes it could be a great choise, if it was available for Windows.

Ok i found a solution to this one, althouth its an old thead is good to be stated since i have faced it again.

1.Select your desired VST path

2.Scan for plug ins. Some of them (usually after a standard amount) are grey

3.Now go back to VST dir selection and delete the path.

4.Hit OK and you are done!

Always remember that you need to do that after every new plug in added.

Cheers.