Having seen Kraznet's monitor screenshot, I decided my eyes needed a big hi-res monitor too.

I got a Seiki monitor off of Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOPGO2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 39" monitor for $340 delivered (to the US). The refresh rate is limited to 30Hz at "4K" resolution and I drive it with my Quatro 4000 video card.

So far I really like it. I've fiddled a bit with Windows font sizing and such.

All of my "professional" work is audio-for-video so it's really nice to be able to have the mixer up, with a reasonably sized video window, while having enough space to edit on. It's also nice to have a reasonable number of tracks to be able to see at one time. Oh, and the 5.1 meters show up too.

I'll probably do some massaging of the way the screen is set up as I live with it. The slow refresh doesn't bother me as far as working goes but NTSC video looks very, er, "video" to my eyes on this screen.

Here's the link to the screenshot via Imgur: http://imgur.com/JCIYobp

The image below is perhaps annoyingly large so feel free to look at the imgur link instead.

JCIYobp.jpg

That's a great deal that Seiki especially if you live Stateside. Having lived with my 40 inch Samsung for a while. I'm still enjoying it. Although I think it's a bit overkill because it's also a smart TV with its own quad core processor and I haven't even used it as that. Plus it has freeview TV. I paid a premium price for it compared to the Seiki - £899 and typically a month later it dropped to £749. I don't find the 30 Hz refresh rate of problem at all. I think only hard core gamers would notice anything lacking. In fact, mine can go at 60 Hz, but HDMI 1.4 doesn't support it. There is actually an Nvidia driver which emulates 60 Hz, but it looks awful and washed out.

One chain store in the UK, here are selling a Bush 4K monitor for £349 and it has a response time of 6ms http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1907425.htm If I do have any criticism of my Samsung is that the response time is around 30 ms and I was noticing the sound was very slightly ahead of the playback cursor. Although I found a tip where you can set the TV to PC mode and it seemed to improve it somewhat. Although it still slightly lagging. But hardly noticeable really. I settled for Windows 8 scaling of 125% which works nicely. Selling it to 100% is really to much of a strain on my eyes.

I read recently that Seiki are going to hit the 4K monitor market specifically for PCs next year with 28, 32 and 40" displays and they will have HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.3 and I have a feeling there prices are going to be very competitive.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/30.htm#seiki_4k

Regards

Kraznet

Great! I have 2 fullHd monitors and that setup does good job as well. Most important matter is that mixer window is placed on second lcd then is justified automatically to the screen. I also have all visualisation stuff there. I'm planning to spread this setup by 3rd monitor. Then i will have 1. Multittack 2. Mixer + visualsations 3. Plugins

It's really nice to have adequate space on the screen for things -- and to have it at a reasonable resolution too. I think a monitor much larger would start to actually become uncomfortable. I really wouldn't want a monitor so big that I'd have to change eyeglasses or use bifocals just to see the whole thing. ;-)
Cheap stuff is an advantage to living in the US. ;-)

At 30 Hz I see artefacts moving windows and mouse.

A GFX card with DP 1.2 and SSP is required to drive a 4 K panel properly.

4K monitors below 500 EUR have TN panels. TN are cheap, and they feature fast switching times, but they don't give good fidelity from an angle, and they only have limited color space. So, all you get are more pixels. It's not a good quality display, still. The 30 Hz issue is a no-go for me. It's known since the 1920s that for smooth movements, we need at least 50 Hz refresh rate. As a good (!) 1200 vertical display goes for less than 300.-, why should I buy a cheap 4 K screen? A good display like the Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q still goes for about 1,600 EUR.

BR,

Sebastian

I don't see any . That was my one worry but I was pleasantly suprised. You must very senstive eyes.

A good display like the Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q still goes for about 1,600 EUR

I think 4K on a 32" screen would mean upping the scaling to 150% for me so it would lose the advantage. When I first plugged mine in I was very disappointed because everything seemed the same size as my HD monitor. Then I checked the scaling and it was set to 250% which is apparently default. So I halved that amount and it seems fine now. Mine is capable of 60 Hz, but GFX cards with HDMI 2.0 don't exist, and the screen doesn't have Display Port.

Regards

Kraznet

I see the "ghost" which trails behind the mouse at 30Hz. But other than that there's nothing about the refresh rate which really bothers me. Oh, you know what? I actually turned the display down to 24Hz. As a movie person, 24fps looks pretty nice to me. ;-)

The Seiki monitor has a really wide angle of view. I mean really wide. Wider than my audio monitors, that's for sure. ;-)

A GFX card with DP 1.2 and SSP is required to drive a 4 K panel properly.
4K monitors below 500 EUR have TN panels. TN are cheap, and they feature fast switching times, but they don't give good fidelity from an angle, and they only have limited color space. So, all you get are more pixels. It's not a good quality display, still. The 30 Hz issue is a no-go for me. It's known since the 1920s that for smooth movements, we need at least 50 Hz refresh rate. As a good (!) 1200 vertical display goes for less than 300.-, why should I buy a cheap 4 K screen? A good display like the Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q still goes for about 1,600 EUR.

BR,

Sebastian

I see the "ghost" which trails behind the mouse at 30Hz. But other than that there's nothing about the refresh rate which really bothers me. Oh, you know what? I actually turned the display down to 24Hz. As a movie person, 24fps looks pretty nice to me. ;-)

The point is that the screen and the GFX adapter need to sync. Mouse pointer trailing is sooo 90s.

The Seiki monitor has a really wide angle of view. I mean really wide. Wider than my audio monitors, that's for sure. ;-)

It's about the value of the product. You wouldn't buy a loudspeaker that does 140 dB but is flat from 300 Hz - 3Khz, at least not for 350.-. A TN panel can't be used for photo editing even if 4 K are a big plus for 8 k or 16 k shots produced by any decent camera.

-S

Nvidia have just released the GTX 970/980 series which includes HDMI 2.0. Although these particular cards are rather overkill for what I need. But hopefully some low-end cards will appear soon using the same technology. Then I can run my monitor at 60 Hz.

Regards

Kraznet

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.