Sign in to follow this  
justin2

Export objects as Files

Issue: using the File->Export function to export an object as a file exports the entire track.

Most of my workflows involve a need to do this.

In this case I simply did some volume adjustments to some songs in my timeline and want to export each song as an mp3 file.

All the exported songs turned out to be exactly the same; a 1 hour file of all objects.

Froze objects and tried again with the same result.

Also, Export wants to name the file with the project name, not the object name.

Is there something I'm overlooking or do I have to bounce each file, etc, etc, etc...?

You don't say which version you're using, but I'm assuming ProX/ProX Suite. Try using File->Track Bouncing... rather than FIle->Export Audio. One of the options in the Vertical/Special Functions control is "Bounce all selected objects individually". I think that'll do what you want.

Thanks TL, that was what I was after. Unfortunately it didn't use the object names, so I now have 17 files with the same name unless I bounce each one separately. Baby steps!

Cheers,

J

That's odd. If I specify a name when requested in the dialog like "name", it usually creates the individual wav files as name.wav, name01.wav, name02.wav, etc. Granted, I don't think I actually use the object names that much in the sort of things I usually do. Plus, I usually bounce files to a sub-directory, but I don't think that would have any bearing on the naming. Still, there has to be something unique about each filename, at least in Windows: you just can't have two different files with exactly the same name.

I was not being entirely accurate about the naming. A number was appended to each ( but an odd numbering- 202, 203, something like that). Still not helpful, as i would have to listen to each file to find out what it is, then rename each individually. For some sound design work i do, making many objects (sounds) and making variations of them creates enough so you only want to name things once if possible- it adds another time-sucking layer of work, and potential naming errors. If I could lasso those suckers and hit one shortcut key I could work like my old DAW work a lot more efficiently. If there is a feature request thread in the forum i will definitely pay a visit.

Cheers,

J2

These posts are on the newcomer forum. Are you registered on the full users forum as well? It strikes me that at some point in the not so distant past there was a question (probably in the Software forum) about using object names for bounced/exported files. If you're registered, you could do a search there. Although my usual work involves bouncing and exporting files for every Sunday homily I record, edit, and pass along for posting to the parish website, the naming in my workflow is pretty fixed, and not at all related to the individual objects in the edit, final bounce of the mix, or the mp3s I send off to the website person. I know about the objects-to-separate-files option because that one comes up all the time, so I've seen that on many occasions, but the file-names-from-object-names is a rarer inquiry.

I'm registered for the full forum so i will continue my inquiries over there. I haven't searched the whole forum but I'll dig a little deeper. Thanks again for your help.

XJ