posercomposer

Question for Sonar Refugees

I see there are quite a few sonar refugees over here. Hey, Bitflipper, good to see you again. So, I'm currently weighing the two generous offers, one from Samplitude, one from Presonus. I'm wondering if some of the former Sonar users could briefly outline why they choose Samplitude. That would help me greatly in my evaluation. If it is relevant, please note that I use a lot of VST Instruments, and do a lot of rather in-depth midi programming.

Hi Posercomposer, after the Sonar debacle I was planning on moving to Cubase, but there was some issue with my graphics card and the Cubase GUI in the demo - it was ridiculously slow. I ended up buying Studio One as a kind of last resort. Then the crazy Samplitude deal came along and I bought that mostly for SpectralLayers. However, after installing Samplitude and using it for a "learning project" that became a good song, I have fallen for it! It is on a par with Sonar if not better in some ways. I have hardly touched S1 because as soon as I need to do anything slightly off the beaten track with S1 I run into a wall, whereas with Samplitude I can always find a way. In other words, S1 forces you to work to its workflow, but Samplitude (like Sonar) molds its self to your workflow. I really think in hindsight, after buying Studio One, that it is an overhyped bit of software like PT has been for a long time. It's all marketing, whereas what I need is something that can actually deliver. The marketing behind Samplitude seems to be crap in comparison but it can deliver and seems to be a very underestimated piece of software. That's why I am here now.

32 minutes ago, Bob Olhsson said:

I remember reading that Samplitude began using the Windows Logic Audio MIDI engine a bit before Apple bought Emagic. Does anyone know if that is true? 

That whole thing about Apple buying Logic in 2002 was a sore point with me as I had just switched from Mac to Windows with Logic Audio. But there was a short time before when MAGIX were selling Logic but it wasn't integrated into Samplitude in any way as far as I remember. The Logic midi editor  was a separate application. I'm not sure whether any code was used in Samplitude. I remember I was testing out Samplitude when it was at V7 and the midi was pretty unusable compared to Logic's midi. It was only when V8 came out I decided it was good enough which was when I switched to Samplitude in 2005. 

Regards, Kraznet