byxx

Rewire Cubase and Sequoia

Dear Community,

How to rewire Cubase and Sequoia?

thinking also about transferring Audio into Sequoia from Cubase in a multitrack audio stream.

My main question at the moment is the perfect timecode syncing of Sequoia and Cubase. The manual talks about implementing instruments, not syncing two DAWs

THX

Best

BX

Propellerhead provides Rewire. A client that connects 2 DAWs and snycs them. I have no experience with Sequoia here, but it seems it uses Rewire.

My question is more how Rewire itself is setup in Seq. It should be realtime for recording and composing purposes.

BTW:

Connecting two interfaces on one computer. Interface1 uses Cubase, Interface 2 Sequoia. Syncing both Interfaces with MTC. WIll that work properly?

THX
Best regards

BX

Hi!

I use Rewire to stream audio from Reaper to Samplitude without any problems so should work with Cubase and Sequoia as well ...

I actually send Midi from Samplitude via Rewire to Reaper and the audio back to Samplitude, some VSTi things are so much easier & faster to do in Reaper, like using an arpeggiator, stacking several VSTi's on the same track to create complex soundscapes ....

Regards, Thomas

Yes Reaper can be used as a ReWire slave or master. Samplitude/Sequoia only works as a ReWire master. I'm pretty sure Cubase only works as a ReWire master as well so the answer to your question about using Samplitude/Sequopia and Cubase ReWired together is it won't work.

Regards, Kraznet

1 minute ago, byxx said:

oh no

THX very much!!

In general the major DAW's like Cubase, Logic Digital Performer,  Pro Tools, Studio One and Sequoia/Samplitude can only be used as ReWire Masters. The exception to the rule is Reaper, Ableton Live and FL Studio afaik.

Regards, Kraznet

Okay, thought about setting up in one computer. I like the vandal.

Plan B is setting up two machines, synced via MTC. ALso for mixing in Sequoia, bringing the audio over over time from Cubase.

Before going that route:

Is it possible to run two Audio Interfaces on one machine and sync them via MTC:

Interface 1: Cubase

Interface 2: Sequoia

Something like this?

THX

Cheers

BX

I've never tried anything like that so I can't really comment. If you're only doing it because you like Vandal you may be better off buying the stand-alone version and using that in Cubase. Although it is ridiculously expensive https://www.magix.com/us/music/vandal/ . I'm a big fan of Vandal myself although there are many very good guitar amp VST's available nowadays.

Regards, Kraznet

Sure, I use the Axe FX Ultra, but I tend toward using VSTs for some stuff, keeping the sound design flexible longest possible.

I think about a flexible solution DAW wise. Composing in Cubase, Audio/Mixing in Sequoia. Could be that it saves some performance rather doing everythin in one Program., regarding low buffer size and feel for the playing.

The question might be to get a second computer to connect both worlds. I guess the syncing with MTC is not the problem.

How would you stream Audio over? MADI or Ethernet (Dante, Ravenna etc).

I like to work with different programs at least. Cubase and Sequoia is a good combination for me after a lot of testing. Its about composing and best quality mixing/mastering myself. Just switched over more to the PC world to set this up. So its a bit of trial and error here...

Cheers

BX

Hi again!

Kraznet beat me to it, noticed that Cubase is Host only just as Sam/Seq ...

I've been thinking of getting a Wave Soundgrid system, not cheap but that would do the trick :)

Any Sam/Seq users tested it?

https://www.waves.com/soundgrid-systems

https://www.waves.com/hardware/digigrid-ios#introducing-digigrid-ios-iox-ioc

Best, Thomas

Thx Thomas,

but before spending much money, lets think it over.

Every DAW uses MTC (sometimes LTC also)

1) Anybody experienced two interfaces on one computer, sync via MTC?

2) Two machines connected with MTC

3) There is a IAC Bussystem in Mac OSX where you cn run a MIDI Stream (MTC) from one DAW to the other and letting sync 2 or more software versions internally in one machine , as far as I remember. Maybe there is such a thing in the Windows Domain, too. The trick is to internally send and receive MIDI Information. Could work, would have to try.

Regards

BX

Hi BX!

Yeah that's an expensive solution, I'm curious if any Sam/Seq user tried the Soundgrid ...

On 2018-08-25 at 6:21 PM, byxx said:

3) There is a IAC Bussystem in Mac OSX where you cn run a MIDI Stream (MTC) from one DAW to the other and letting sync 2 or more software versions internally in one machine , as far as I remember. Maybe there is such a thing in the Windows Domain, too. The trick is to internally send and receive MIDI Information. Could work, would have to try.

Yes, on Windows there are several options, here are 2 virtual midi devices you could try.

Loop Midi:

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

or LoopBe:

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

There is also an LoopBeAudio with up to 24 virtual audio channels, that might be a solution for you:

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbeaudio.html

I have demoed it on my old PC but I've haven't tried it with multichannel audio, just tested to record an internet live stream from the web browser to my DAW with it ... 

Regards, Thomas

Sounds cool, Thomas. Great tips !!!

Thank you very much. Will try, no: DO!

Cheers

BX