dominicc

Samplitude Professional 8.1

I recorded a live Drum track and when I went back to record

a guitar track on the next track. I was playing along

with the headphones on and I could here the drum

track fine (But couldn't hear the guitar in my headphones

off the computers headphone jack) So I ended

up using one ear covered with the phones

and the other not covered so I could hear my amp.

Laid the guitar part down in sync with the drums

as I heard through the headphones. When I went back to

play the complete 2 tracks together to check it. And the guitar

was slightly off sync with the drum track (considering

that I was downstroking on the 1...beat

How do I fix the timing issue?

I noticed on another recording a did with just 3 guitar

part and a vocal. And it was even worse, totally unusable

I tried shifting the parts a little to see if I could line it up to

playback all in time. Nope, wasn't happening.

My stats are as follows for what I am using:

Samplitude Professional 8.1

DELL XPS400 2.8Ghz Dual Core PC WinXPPro,

1Gb Ram, 160 (7200 rpm) H.D. SigmaTel High Definition Audio Card

with Internal HD Audio Bus and HD Codec. Capable of 7.1 audio (not using

that part) Just in Stereo.

Mackie CFX-20 Audio Mixer (running everything to the board and

then taking the stereo L/R tape outs of the board into the PC's Stereo Audio input

through the Mini Jack in and only capturing the 2 channels of audio mixdown from the board.

Then I want to be able to go back over and add in as many tracks of Guitar, Bass, Keys and

Vocals as I want.

I had a Free Trial version of N-Track Studio and it was only capable 4 tracks

and it worked perfectly and I never had a timing issue. I'd like to think that what I'm doing in terms of

layering my tracks together is possible to do.

I'd rather not have to go out and buy some outboard hardware and ProTools in order to do this.

Can the program do what I want?

What is set up wrong in my system?

How do I resolve this issue?

Does anyone know if maybe my soundcard

that's internal needs some tweaking or something?

I read in the manual about ASIO and stuff but I'm

clueless on how do I set these, if I even can?

I'm not a programmer or a over the top windows god. So

if you have a suggestion, you will have to give it to

me step by step as I'm not that proficent, but I know

enough to be dangerous when it comes to PC's.

Thanks for any and all help,

Dominic

Hello Dominic,

you are in the wrong Forum here. Samplitude support is in the Support Forum. Please register and post there.

BTW, are you sure about the version? 8.01 or 8.1? The current version is 8.31.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hello Dominic,

you are in the wrong Forum here. Samplitude support is in the Support Forum. Please register and post there.

Cheers,

Sebastian

maybe correct, but not very helpfull!! sorry but i am reading this with a view to buying the product, and belive me, that looks like a 'jobsworth' reply.

its just i see your name all over this forum, so i assume your something to do with magix, or at least very skillfull in its use.

if i posted that question in the rml labs site, i would have received an answer to the question, then a note that it belongs in the support forum... assuming ofcourse that he hasn't done something so simple that only a 'newbee' would do it, in which case it belongs here, if only to help the new kids out.

just a thought, and as i am not a 'user' of samplitude yet, i cant post elsewhere to ask these sorts of questions .... so maybe i, no, i will give it a bit longer....

'open' the forums for all, cubase, nuendo, sonar, SAWstudio etc are open to all users and non users, just register and your in...

Samplitude uses a complex buffering system to make playback stable and the offset you have experienced depends a lot on which driver model you are using. Asio, MME or WDM as the buffering varies

You do need to check this and set it up correctly. Afterwards Samplitude records exactly down to a single sample as easily demonstrated by repeating the test.

Use this loop test and post back your results.

Offset Setup

Cheers

M

Hello Dominic,

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hello, just to clarify. I've not updated the version I have is 8.1 not 8.01. This was an office master version of the software and I've been tasked to learn it. So, to do so, I'm using it at home in free time so I can do spend quality uninterupted time with it. Since I'm a part time musician at least I have all the gear

to amp/drum/bass/keys to do this. Without show a client of some pre-recorded non-real world file. It

will be really me. Multi-tracked and all. For demoing. I will do the update as soon as I can once I can get this running. Like I said, I'm a newcomer to the product line. So as far as drivers and such. Where would I find which I have running?

So as far as drivers and such. Where would I find which I have running?

Press Y for the driver setup options .

Regards

Kraznet

And press "R" to set your recording offset.

Cheers

M

now thats support ;)

Agreed!!!! :) Kudos to all of you.

Now I'll be able to try this stuff tonight when I'm home

to see if these things with the "Y" and the "R" will

guide me on what to do. Or at best to tell you all

what the setting say. If not, I'll be back with more.

In the Meantime, this is the card that is in my PC from DELL.

SigmaTel High Definition Audio Card Internal HD Audio Bus and HD Codec.

Capable of 7.1 audio (not using that) Just in using it in Stereo.

If anyone knows of what this card drives with or maybe

what the tweak would be for it, I'm all ears....

Hello Dominic,

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hello, just to clarify. I've not updated the version I have is 8.1 not 8.01. This was an office master version of the software and I've been tasked to learn it. So, to do so, I'm using it at home in free time so I can do spend quality uninterupted time with it.

It would probably have be good to state this up front as posting a question about the full product in the newcomer forum raises the suspicion that you are using a moody copy, especially when you refer to an early version number. This may explain Sebastian's (who used to work for Magix) somewhat terse response.

One of the advantages of the closed nature of the Samplitude forum is that we know we're all paid-up members of the club!

BGK

In the Meantime, this is the card that is in my PC from DELL.

SigmaTel High Definition Audio Card Internal HD Audio Bus and HD Codec.

Capable of 7.1 audio (not using that) Just in using it in Stereo.

If anyone knows of what this card drives with or maybe

what the tweak would be for it, I'm all ears....

You're better off using a quality Firewire or PCI card like an RME Fireface /Multiface http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm But you could try installing this driver http://www.asio4all.com/ which should work with the built in audio and allow you to use VSTi's with software monitoring .

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks Kraznet!!! :)

AS for BKG. First off, maybe you didn't read my original posting, but just to

put EVERYONE's mind at ease. I'm with a Dealer who sells the product.

So yes we are a paying customer. Period.

This software was pasted down to me when another person

left the company in order to be able to demo the software

for customers that the sales staff needs to demo for sales

of Hardware and Software products.

Here's the company I work for: www.wpsworld.com

We are a little company in the U.S.A. that only does

about 80million yearly. And our Sister Company,

Washington Music Center, outsells (from one store)

every Guitar Center Store combined.

Is this enough information for you now.... ;)

AS for BGK. First off, maybe you didn't read my original posting, but just to

Er, that wasn't actually clear from the original posting.

Anyway, I didn't want to suggest that you were not a legitimate user (you made that obvious in the second posting), but to explain why you (and other newcomers to the Forum) might feel like you got a somewhat suspicious response in this instance!

BGK

Actually, you really should see if you can get a login to the Samplitude Forum. I don't think all the "big time" users read the Newcomer forum (although this is easier now the new Forum has everything integrated), but if you were to come on over and announce you were amongst the people trying to increase the user base of Samplitude, you would be welcomed with wreathes and open arms!

Well, okay, perhaps not...

;)

AS for BGK. First off, maybe you didn't read my original posting, but just to

Er, that wasn't actually clear from the original posting.

Anyway, I didn't want to suggest that you were not a legitimate user (you made that obvious in the second posting), but to explain why you (and other newcomers to the Forum) might feel like you got a somewhat suspicious response in this instance!

BGK

Dude,

You indeed thought I was Illegitimate, or better yet, you were leading....

That's good enough for me to think you were fishing to start trouble.

Are you an owner in the company?

Or someone who sniffs out Pirate Users for brownie points?

If your not an owner. Then your not contibuting to helping me in my

quest for answers. You are only adding to my problem by

wasting my time by having to solidify that I am a Owner of said program.

It's not your decision to decide whether I should or should be here asking these

questions. Newbee, means just that, New to the program and not a hacker head.

So I've decided to dub as the "'Tude Pirate"! for your nosing into others

business and starting allogations because you are an uninformed forum

participate.

Secondly, my system and the use of this forum has been approved

due to one great person at Magix/Samp who followed up

and fixed my registration issues. So when I have the backing of

none other than, Andreas Opfermann. I don't need your two cents.

Dude,

You indeed thought I was Illegitimate, or better yet, you were leading....

That's good enough for me to think you were fishing to start trouble.

Really? Your magic mind-reading powers told you this did they?

As it happens I got to this topic after you had said "This was an office master version of the software and I've been tasked to learn it". I therefore had no reason to believe that you were not a legitimate user of the product. I did however want to give an explanation to you and other legitimate users as to why Sebastian, normally a fount of useful knowledge, and other readers might have been a little reserved initially.

BGK

;) so i press r? :)

Being a pirate (apparently), I was eager to press Arrrr, which, err, actually put Samplitude straight into record mode. However, pressing Shift+R (I think this changed in some early version of v8 for consistency with other shortcuts - "key" for the action, Shift+"key" for the action's options) brought up the Record Options dialog (also available from the Playback/Record menu) which has may exciting settings, such as Record Offset and Playback while Recording.

(The latter is worthy of note here as the default (until, if I recall, v8.3) was for the program not to play back previously recorded material when recording a new track. For some users this was great, but for most people, especially new users coming from other systems, this caused no end of confusion.)

I've not used the Record Offset as I don't do this sort of layered recording, but it should compensate for latencies in the soundcard playback, which I'm guessing would be particularly high on a general purpose multimedia-type audio card such as the one mentioned above. Investigating ASIO4ALL would certainly be worth a try though and would allow one to monitor the recording input through the software (most "pro" hardware will offer "zero"-latency monitoring via the hardware itself). The new driver would be selected from Option / System/Audio... (default shortcut: 'Y'). Here you can also set-up Samplitude's somewhat complex buffer configuration. I'm not an expert in that field, but there's definitely help on this scattered about the Forum.

BGK

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the info. I see you got help. Still, I think you will profit a lot registering for the official support forum. Also, 8.31 is a highly recommended upgrade as it reflects the state of the product much better.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the info. I see you got help. Still, I think you will profit a lot registering for the official support forum. Also, 8.31 is a highly recommended upgrade as it reflects the state of the product much better.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian,

Where do I go to do that? I also have not had a chance to test these other options

out because another project I'm working on is demanding the time I need. But I

will test this weekend.

Thanks for all the help and I certainly didn't think you were judging I was a pirate user.

Hi Dominic,

there is a registration of the product. The serial matches an email adress. This has most propably already been done, as Samplitude needs an activation with that registration within 90 days. Otherwise, the Dongle blocks the start of Samplitude. I understand that this happened by a person that has left your company, so the most efficient way would be to write an email to the support and get the registration data from them providing your name and the serial number of the license (see: about-menu in the help menu).

You can subsequently change the registrationd data to an email adress you read, and with that email adress you can join the forum.

Other ways would be searching in the emails of your employee for the login data, or trying to get the password by guessing on what email adress he may have registered, entering that email adress for a password reminder.

The choice is yours.

Regarding the piracy issue: Let me put it that way: a very old version is a reason to ask: why this old version? I am, as you rightfully have guessed, none of these "first-shoot-then-ask" guys. However, as a normal user, I do not want to see apparent pirat users to be proivided support. They should go and ask H2O...

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi Dominic,

there is a registration of the product. The serial matches an email adress. This has most propably already been done, as Samplitude needs an activation with that registration within 90 days. Otherwise, the Dongle blocks the start of Samplitude. I understand that this happened by a person that has left your company, so the most efficient way would be to write an email to the support and get the registration data from them providing your name and the serial number of the license (see: about-menu in the help menu).

You can subsequently change the registrationd data to an email adress you read, and with that email adress you can join the forum.

Other ways would be searching in the emails of your employee for the login data, or trying to get the password by guessing on what email adress he may have registered, entering that email adress for a password reminder.

The choice is yours.

Regarding the piracy issue: Let me put it that way: a very old version is a reason to ask: why this old version? I am, as you rightfully have guessed, none of these "first-shoot-then-ask" guys. However, as a normal user, I do not want to see apparent pirat users to be proivided support. They should go and ask H2O...

Cheers,

Sebastian

I think this will explain that I believe I have been setup in the system.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:40 AM

To: Dominic

Subject: Re: forum info

Hi Dominic,

I updated our product database and now you can download all updates at

this location:

http://support.magix.net/areas/samplitude/us/index.html

Your login data are:

blah blah blah (not listing this info)

Have fun!

Andy

Yep, it looks like you have everything you need to get to the update. Have you tried logging in yet?

Once you get logged in click the download link from the menu at the top, there you can download the latest 8.31 patch. ;)

-tkr

Samplitude uses a complex buffering system to make playback stable and the offset you have experienced depends a lot on which driver model you are using. Asio, MME or WDM as the buffering varies

You do need to check this and set it up correctly. Afterwards Samplitude records exactly down to a single sample as easily demonstrated by repeating the test.

Use this loop test and post back your results.

Offset Setup

Cheers

M

Martin,

Okay,I'm stuck on this one.

5. Menue Object/Trim Objects reduces the object down to one sample.(put a marker on it shift+1)

I think I did this correcting. But I made a range with marker 1 and 2 and then hit trim and it got rid

of everything accept for the one sample.

But I can't figure out how to route the Track 1 to the input of track 2. Remember I only have a simple

stereo sound card in the PC.

6. Route the output signal from Track 1 to the input of Track 2.

But I can't figure out how to route the Track 1 to the input of track 2.

You need a cable running from OUT to IN - it doesn't matter if you don't hear anything for this test.

Stereo or Mono wiring - doesn't matter either. That way you are recording the whole signal path.

Cheers

M