dominicc

Samplitude Professional 8.1

But I can't figure out how to route the Track 1 to the input of track 2.

You need a cable running from OUT to IN - it doesn't matter if you don't hear anything for this test.

Stereo or Mono wiring - doesn't matter either. That way you are recording the whole signal path.

Cheers

M

Martin,

Thanks for the tip. Here's the problem for me on this. I only have a standard stereo soundcard

built in on my PC. So I can send out to in. Or at least I don't think I can. But doesn't matter.

A buddy guitar player is an audio engineer and he was working on this with me. We managed,

how I don't know, from the 1Khz Sample since we couldn't do it the way it was written out.

We would try a different approach. We recorded an acoustic guitar track. Then followed up

with a second acoustic track. We then took the same idea you had an zoomed in on the sample

to get one sample. from this we noticed the other guitar track was late by 5 samples in the count.

So we set the record offset in the setup section for 5 samples of offset. Re-recorded the parts

on a new project and it was right on the money....

So problem appears to be solved. I'll find out tomorrow when I lay down a drum track

and record guitar and bass underneath it.

I have one other question that I could get to work. That was input monitoring.

When I'm finished a track and I want to start a new track (track2 lets say) and

I select Playback while Recording, I can't hear the guitar I'm playing. I only hear

the tracks that are not in record mode. I looked all over for this in the book and

help menus and I'm alittle stumped on this. My PC's soundcard has (input monitor section) and

I've selected it. So why don't I hear my guitar coming through as I'm playing

live with the system as it's playing back the previous recorded track?

I only have a standard stereo soundcard built in on my PC. So I can send out to in.

Its easier than you think. Use a mini jack cable to connect the output to the input.

Cheers

M

BTW 5 samples wouldn't be noticable.

I select Playback while Recording, I can't hear the guitar I'm playing. I only hear

the tracks that are not in record mode.

To hear the input signal on a record armed track, switch to "Software Monitoring" (see manual about this). This only works in ASIO audio system and you'll get the latency of about 2x ASIO buffer. You also need to set the track in monitoring mode (blue speaker icon besides track peak meter).

If you cannot use ASIO or if you're latency is too high, you need to setup the soundcard driver from the windows panel to monitor (not possible with all models). Or you need an external mixer. Basically, you should get yourself an audio card which supports "hardware monitoring" and best also low ASIO latencies.

Greetings,

Frank

I only have a standard stereo soundcard built in on my PC. So I can send out to in.

Its easier than you think. Use a mini jack cable to connect the output to the input.

Cheers

M

BTW 5 samples wouldn't be noticable.

Martin,

Thanks. I think maybe my biggest problem is that I'm not doing each track in mono.

So I'm not able to patch the output to the input. The 5 samples thing is what we counted.

It seems to work, I have done this the hard way. Recorded 4 tracks of guitar and one

track of bass. No issues. I suppose I'll have to try this again with Drums. Other wise I

will look for some hardware based card that can support the software.

I've done this test on a soundblaster, a 128pci, a DMX6fire - all normal stereo cards with mini jacks.

I don't see your problem at all.

Cheers

M