Here's something that happened almost a year ago - I think I needed some time to get over it :-)
So you all now that business sometimes doesn't turn out as expected, and in most cases we shrug shoulders and call it a day. So do I usually, but then I had this client nearly to the day a year ago.
He called me, and ask whether I could aid him with a video he made at his daughter's wedding, and while watching it the other day he encountered severe "sound problems". I said "sure", and later that evening I got a mail with a .mp4 vid. He already told me that he was using his smart phone. So I was prepared for all sorts of mishapps you might think of in such a situation, like too much reverb in a church, boomy sound, too quiet, too loud, and the likes.
So, without knowing what would await me, I opened up that video. There was sound for about seven seconds, and then - very abruptly - silence. For the rest of the whole long video. Opened it in a video editor, opened it in my DAW - yep, it almost certainly showed that the microphone gave out it's life during a wedding (oh the irony!)! Well, the other day I called the client, and told him that his problem was beyond repair. He asked me, if it was OK for him to come over, and see for himself. Stupid me just said "OK".
Later that day, I had him standing beside me, I opened up his file, showed him the waveform, and told him that there was no audio from past seven seconds onwards. I asked him, if he would make a short video here with his smartphone. Well, he agreed - we recorded for about thirty seconds, and guess what? No audio! The mic definitively was gone. So after a bit of small talk, we said good bye, and off he went. Of course he was charged nothing - I couldn't do anything for him.
But while in bed that night, I felt sorry for the old buddy. And after a while I had an idea - at that time I thought, it would be t h e idea. Little did I know.
So the other day I wrote a mail to him. My idea was as follows: during the whole vid you see lots of people with smart phones, even a guy with a handy cam. I was very confident that almost all of the wedding would be in one way or another on tape! So I offered him to put those pieces togehter and merge them to his video, so that his daughter would have a souvenir from her dad of her wedding. Actually I was so optimistic, I started splitting the video in several scenes, so that it would be a lot easier to maintain them, while going through the audio files of lots of other videos. Little later I got a mail back - I was thinking of printing it here (but would have to translate it into english anyway, so I go the easier way here).
It took some time, until realized I was gazing at the screen with my mouth open. I checked in on the audio I got from his video, pulled that volume up beyond crazy, and: nope - nothing. Beyond seven seconds - no audio! I tried several other things, just to make sure that there was no audio in no way whatsoever. I also remembered that just the day before we took a little video just to ceck and see. And we had no audio at all. As if a big (a very big) blinking, pointing finger was above that smart phone yelling: "The goddamn mic is dead!"
I really, really would have loved to hear how this story ended :-)
greetings - take care of yourselfs, and if things go south: remember, other's have been there too!