Large Memory Aware

dingowako

I don't think it was primarly a workload issue. I thought that it was rather a security issue, what for example happens when a PlugIn doesn't support the LAA flag.

As I assume that some activities happen in order to adapt to the coming 64bit OS, I wonder what the role of LAA will be there.

Cheers,

Sebastian

The reason you cant 'hack' Samp to be LAA with a user util. , is because the codemeter protects the Sam.exe from being tampered with. So it has to be hardcoded from the inside . Other Apps. like SX and Sonar) let you do (hack) this yourself.

All the major softsamplers (minus GS3) support LAA and Multiple processing now, So plugin support isnt an issue.

Volker mentioned to me that there considering it..but it will take some work. XP will only let you theoretically access 4 GB per app. XP 64-bit or Vista will allow something like 128 GB per app. ! Currently OSX has the clear advantage in this area already ( im jealous of all my composer friends that have the G5`s loaded with 8 usable GB of Ram optimized in Logic 7 ! )

For musicains that need to access large sample libs. id say this is a huge advantage. More than mulitplie core process IMO.

Best, Rich

I read this about Samplitude V9 http://www.samplitude.com/eng/sam/2gb_datei.html

2 GB Data Limit Breakthrough

The Windows WAV file size limit of 2 GB is history. Now you can record up to 2 billion stereo samples. That means 10 hours of sounds in just one file with 44,1 or 48 kHz. Complete radio broadcasts can now be recorded in one take.

Does that have anything to do with memory? :D

Probablynot i guess...

No thats a file size limitation thing .. thats useful for when your recording a really long concert ..so you can exceed the previous 2 GB file size.

This is a memory limitation issue within your program.. Where most Win XP app. can only access 2GB per. app.

But theres ways of modifing your boot.ini along with LAA in your app. that allows you to access more if you`ve intstalled 3 or 4 GB of RAM in your machine and your App. is coded or "hacked" to be LAA .

@ S.G.~ Ones OS make no diff. .. if Samp isn`t programed to be LAA , only about 1.7 GB will be able to be utilized within Samp. as some RAM headroom is needed for XP. Even in Vista with 8 GB of RAM.

Im on XP home, but theres no diff. since one cant change a letter in the Samp.exe once the CM stick protection kicks in... Unlike other apps ive done this in ..The LAA linker has to be done from the inside .

Try it you`ll see... :D

Best , Rich

Hello Rich,

I tried in XP pro and I don't get blockades from the dongle. There are known issues in XP64, though due to some debug flags that only seem to matter in the large memory case.

The whole issue was discussed in the german forum recently. I have no time to transfer the whole discussion, but I may refer that other users set the LAA successfully, without the alleged issues you report, and that also Volker reported the issues in rather different areas as you do.

So, that's basically not growing on my heap...

EDIT: I looked back. Volker has expressedly stated there that the Switch neither helps nor harms Sequoiatude. That can be right or wrong, at least it was Volker's statement.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Obviously not. I think your talking about the boot.ini hacks . That can be done in all Windows OS.

But once you`v done that, theres still theres still the question of opening up the Samp.exe and adding the LAA linkers switch ,which you can do with a Util. called LaTiDo or Editbit.exe to name a few. Most hosts like Sonar, SX, Ableton will you allow this alteration to your hosts .exe

This isnt possible in Samp.exe because of WIBU Dongle protection scheme. You can probably hack the 8.11 Demo though..

Best ,Rich

This isnt possible in Samp.exe because of WIBU Dongle protection scheme.

That's correct. The reghacks do work, but have no impact at all, neither positive nor negative.

I see the difference now, and the answer then is: it doesn't work. You are right.

I am however quite sure that the reghacks at least have the advantage they have on the OS level.

Cheers,

Sebastian