More Samp Se Questions

Resonance

Can I monitor an AUX bus when I'm recording a MIDI sequence using a VSTi that's routed to said AUX bus?

The AUX bus doesn't seem to kick in until I turn off the purple MIDI record button and play back the sequence.

example 1 - Let's say I'm playing in a slamming drum part via a MIDI drum kit or keyboard using a VSTi drum sampler, and I want to have some drum reverb on the AUX bus while I'm recording the sequence and/or just monitoring the MIDI input and VSTi while changing out different drumkit pieces to test in the mix. Obviously I don't want to burn up a track insert in this case because there's only two (Samp SE), and rarely do I put a reverb on an insert anyway.

example 2 - I'm doing some orchestral scratch tracks and I have a concert hall reverb on the AUX bus. I'm routing all of my different MIDI VSTi orchestral instruments to it and I'm recording or just playing a really nice multi-sampled flute. I want to hear the instrument placed in the concert hall while I'm noodling around looking for inspiration, but the AUX bus is bone dry until playback with the record button turned off... How do I solve this conundrum?

Can I make my quantize settings stick?

I like to swing my quantized parts ever so slightly to say 52-53% - but when I close the quantize options window after making the changes, and then close the MIDI editor, I'll re-open the MIDI editor and quantization options window again, and the value has reverted back to the default setting of 50%...

This same phenomenon happens with the Length drop-down box in the MIDI editor window - I want the quantized length setting to stay at ' - ' but it keeps reverting back to '#' with every re-opening of the MIDI editor. It's frustrating and slows down the flow.

Why doesn't the Loop button function stick?

The range of the Loop setting keeps disappearing and then the loop stops looping even when the Loop button is active. This one is truly frustrating.

I set the range and I press play - voila, the sequence loops. I record a track and press stop, and the range disappears and needs to be set again - yet the loop button is still on. Pressing the '|<<' button also wipes out the range and stops the sequence from looping - and still the loop button stays lit. I know about the Shift+Back to recall the last range, but... Shouldn't the loop remain active no matter where you go in the song and regardless of the actions you take until you press the loop button to turn off the loop? Or shouldn't these actions automatically turn off the loop button if it's not going to loop? Or shouldn't turning on the loop button automatically recall the last loop range and start looping?

What exactly is the function of the loop button if it doesn't actually affect anything? I don't recall using a DAW that stops looping even though the loop button is active. (maybe I'm wrong...)

Also - when looping a MIDI sequence, Samp SE drops the downbeat of the first bar of the loop upon playback each time around.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to quantize a midi sequence from the arrange window?

Do I always have to double click the sequence, open the MIDI editor window, Ctl-A to select everything, and then left-click the Q button?

EDIT: figured out how to deal with Multi-Out VST's.

Sorry to be a pest - these questions wouldn't come up if I didn't really want to love this program. :blink:

Res

Hi Res ,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been trying to get to grips with V9.

Can I monitor an AUX bus when I'm recording a MIDI sequence using a VSTi that's routed to said AUX bus?

The AUX bus doesn't seem to kick in until I turn off the purple MIDI record button and play back the sequence.

Unfortunately this never worked correctly in V8 due to the audio engine design. I've tested it in V9 and you can do this now using the Mixer FX Monitoring/Hybrid Engine mode.

Can I make my quantize settings stick?

I like to swing my quantized parts ever so slightly to say 52-53% - but when I close the quantize options window after making the changes, and then close the MIDI editor, I'll re-open the MIDI editor and quantization options window again, and the value has reverted back to the default setting of 50%...

This same phenomenon happens with the Length drop-down box in the MIDI editor window - I want the quantized length setting to stay at ' - ' but it keeps reverting back to '#' with every re-opening of the MIDI editor. It's frustrating and slows down the flow.

Again I've tested this in V9 and these settings seem to stick as desired as far as I can tell.

Why doesn't the Loop button function stick?

The range of the Loop setting keeps disappearing and then the loop stops looping even when the Loop button is active. This one is truly frustrating.

I agree this can be frustrating. The way the Range Loop works seems to be quite different to the way cycle mode works in Logic. But there is a workaround. You can use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Backspace "Recall Last Range" and that range will become active again. Also in Samplitude Professional there is a Range Manager where you can store as many Ranges/Loops as you want and quickly navigate between them which is very useful.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to quantize a midi sequence from the arrange window?

Do I always have to double click the sequence, open the MIDI editor window, Ctl-A to select everything, and then left-click the Q button?

Unfortunately this is not available as yet. The only way to quantize is by opening the MIDI editor window. You could try Ctrl+O to open the Object Editor where there are some quantize settings but I have never really experimented with these. Compared to Logic the quantize options in Samplitude are not very well developed as yet and I feel this side of things really needs to be addressed very soon. We definitely need non destructive quantize presets available per selected object in the new Track Editor and also creation and saving of midi groove templates .

Regards

Kraznet

Kraz - there's no rush - glad you're enjoying checking out the nooks and crannies of v9 (or I assume you are). Thanks for replying. It's good to hear that monitoring the AUX bus works in v9, and that the quantize settings are sticking upon re-opening the MIDI edit window - very cool.

Yeah, the loop range function is a little convoluted for my way of working. I'm used to knowing that when I want to cycle something, Logic just does it without having to think about it. I'm trying to "Un-Logify" myself but it's not easy after umpteen years of working within the same paradigm. Not to mention it really is a wonderful paradigm (for some people) - especially MIDI people. I'm going to miss having the complete control of Logic's environment options.

Anyway...

MIDI groove templates would be a wonderful thing in Samp, as well as being able to use them for quantize settings on a per object basis - then I could just export the Logic presets as MIDI files, turn them into groove templates to use in Samp and never look back... I've gotten so used to the feel of the 16A, B, C, D, E, and F swing settings.

Btw, have you noticed when looping a MIDI segment in v9, does the downbeat of the loop get dropped on every cycle? This is another little niggle that puts me off.

Also, is there a 'screen-setting recall' function with keyboard shortcuts similar to Logic's screensets?

lots of questions (I wish the help file in SE wasn't the horrible afterthought that it currently is).

Thanks for the answers, Kraz. You're a credit to this board. :blink:

(So are you Frank!)

Cheers

Res

• 2 weeks later...