Glitch? And A Question...

dwall

1. From time to time while recording, newly recorded objects don't appear where the cursor was when I hit "record". Instead, it shows up at 00:00:00...or maybe it's 00:01:01 actually. Anyway, after I've recorded, I have to type in the new position before hitting "Yes" in the dialog that asks if I want to keep or delete the take (not convenient!). Is that a glitch or am I hitting a button and changing a setting without realizing it? Also, once it happens I can't figure any way to turn it off; it'll last for a while, and then suddenly it'll stop happening. I've noticed if I set a punch point it doesn't happen. It happens when I hit record manually, either by hitting "R" or using the Transport Bar. And it doesn't matter if I hit record during playback or if I hit record while stopped.

2. I've come to Samp 9 from Cubase, where if I recorded an object on top of another object, I can simply grab the object that's on top and move it, and the object beneath would be revealed. Or, I can right click the top object and select "Move to back", to put the new object behind the old one. This is helpful when I'm punching manually, and just getting a take down without worrying about editing. Is take composer the only answer to this? It'd be nice to have a quicker way to move something over without losing what was previously there. This especially becomes a problem when what I outline above (point 1.) occurs, because I can't simply change the new position of the new take: if I already had an object at 00:01:01, it seems to disappear after the new take ends up on top of it.

Thanks! I love Samp, but there are so many things that aren't addressed in the manual! This forum is a huge help.

hi,

I've come to Samp 9 from Cubase, where if I recorded an object on top of another object, I can simply grab the object that's on top and move it, and the object beneath would be revealed.

idem in Sam ... all is virtual in VIP.

Perhaps you will need to pull out the right corner handle to see again the entire object, I don't really remember, sorry...

best

Phil

hi,
I've come to Samp 9 from Cubase, where if I recorded an object on top of another object, I can simply grab the object that's on top and move it, and the object beneath would be revealed.

idem in Sam ... all is virtual in VIP.

Perhaps you will need to pull out the right corner handle to see again the entire object, I don't really remember, sorry...

best

Phil

Thanks, but that's exactly what I'd like to do, and there is nothing underneath. Maybe it's just how Samp works...whenever I pull out an object on top of another, if I pull it back to where it used to be, the previous object has disappeared. I'm trying to grasp precisely what's going on when I edit in the VIP area. Depsite the fact that a lot is explained in the manual, I can't seem to find the answer to these particular questions. Why does an object disappear if you drag another over it? Do I need to disable the autocrossfade funtion? (I'd just try it but I'm not in my studio now.)

it's working fine here...

I just try and after a rec, I move the new object, the old is cut of course, but if I pull out the right handle, the entire object reappears.

t's working with or without Auto Crossfade.

I can't explain why it's not working for you.

best

Phil

So no one else has run into the problem of Samp 9 putting a newly recorded object recorded at, say, 08:01:00 at 01:01:00 by default? And no matter where I put the cursor before hitting record, the object will appear at 01:01:00, and then I have to move it to where I want it to be.

No ideas about this??

So no one else has run into the problem of Samp 9 putting a newly recorded object recorded at, say, 08:01:00 at 01:01:00 by default? And no matter where I put the cursor before hitting record, the object will appear at 01:01:00, and then I have to move it to where I want it to be.

No ideas about this??

I've had a problem with the object being offset by 1 bar when using the click count in . This and the Roomsim bug have forced me to stay with V8 for time being .

Regards

Kraznet

I just try and after a rec, I move the new object, the old is cut of course, but if I pull out the right handle, the entire object reappears.

Yes, same here. Dwall, does this work for you also?

So no one else has run into the problem of Samp 9 putting a newly recorded object recorded at, say, 08:01:00 at 01:01:00 by default?

This never happened to me. Do you have any precount active? Set precount to 0 in the metronome settings (right click on "Click" button in transport console to open the dialog).

Any record offset set in record options? (Click the little box inside the Record button to open the record dialog..).

Greetings,

Frank

Yes, same here. Dwall, does this work for you also?

So no one else has run into the problem of Samp 9 putting a newly recorded object recorded at, say, 08:01:00 at 01:01:00 by default?

This never happened to me. Do you have any precount active? Set precount to 0 in the metronome settings (right click on "Click" button in transport console to open the dialog).

Any record offset set in record options? (Click the little box inside the Record button to open the record dialog..).

Greetings,

Frank

No, no precount selected, and no offset set in record options. It seems to happen randomly. Once it starts it lasts for a while. Then it just stops happening, usually when I start recording to a new track.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.

I know there are a few recording modes where you can choose to replace or merge things when you try to record over the top of them.

I too have the problem where you seem to have to record something and then move it to where you want it. It's a pain. I can't ditch Cubase until I get this sorted. Isn't there a way of it just recording from where the cursor is?

I hope someone can help us cos I hate the sound of Cubase and I hate the Cubase community.

Thanks

I have the same problem.

I know there are a few recording modes where you can choose to replace or merge things when you try to record over the top of them.

I too have the problem where you seem to have to record something and then move it to where you want it. It's a pain. I can't ditch Cubase until I get this sorted. Isn't there a way of it just recording from where the cursor is?

I would love to get rid of that box that askes you whether you want to keep the recording or not.

I hope someone can help us cos I hate the sound of Cubase and I hate the Cubase community.

Thanks

In my current project, I started having the issue once again of no matter where I put the cursor, a newly recorded object defaults to a start position of 01:01:00. I tried rebooting, to the point of unplugging everything from the wall. I still had the issue, even when I record to new tracks. It lasted two days. The third day, I started my computer, opened the project, and the issue was gone. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Regarding the other issue: if I record a new object on top of an old object, if the new object is SHORTER than the old object, then, yes, I can pull the handles of either object to manipulate its length, and I can move it around. However, if I record a new object on top of an old object, and the new object is LONGER than the old object, if I make the new object shorter, or move it, the old object is gone. Nowhere to be found on the screen. Perhaps it is in the track manager, or the track composer can be used to get it back, but once I record that new, longer object, the old object is gone from the project area of the GUI.

I use Samp 9 with a Fireface 400. What are you using, GJ Orange?

I'm just using SE8 with a EWS88MT. I really want to use this program as so many things are good about it.

It's just a few little problems like this that are stopping me.

I really need the cut tool to snap to markers.

I would like to record from where I put the cursor and not have to be asked everytime if I want to keep the recording.

I find it hard to beleive that these things cant be done. Especially the cut tool snap.

In all these years has the cut tool in samplitude never been able to snap to bars?? Surely this is a basic DAW function. I'm not aware of any sequencers at present or in the past that can't apply snap to the cut tool.

Can anyone help on this??

hi,

I really need the cut tool to snap to markers.

why do you want use this tool ? just curious...

I do a lot of editing, since years in Sam, I've never use a cut tool, I'm probably incapable to tell you what is the icon for this tool !! :P

Making a shortcut for Split is so useful as you can stay in Universal Mode...

So, with markers, with shortchuts for markers n° or Prev - Next, you can edit very quickly, a shortcut to place the cursor on a marker and hit T for Split.

and not have to be asked everytime if I want to keep the recording.

is there any option for that ? ;)

I think there's an option to avoid this window ... perhaps in Rec Options, don't remember... ;)

best regards

Phil

Coming from Cubase, I'm also used to being able to cut at a snap point, but it sounds like the split short-cut could be even faster.

Regarding not having the "Continue Recording" window: under record options there's an "extended options" button that has a box you can check (or uncheck? I'm not at that computer now) to not have that window pop up.

In all these years has the cut tool in samplitude never been able to snap to bars?? Surely this is a basic DAW function. I'm not aware of any sequencers at present or in the past that can't apply snap to the cut tool.

Can anyone help on this??

hi GJ, you can snap your cursor and your objects to beats and bars by pressing "I", and in the "Snap/Grid" part of the upcoming Project Options window you select "Snap to: Grid/Bars". to see where you are please check the "Show grid" box and select "Bars/Beats" in the nearby pull-down menu.

now your cursor and your objects will be moving stepwise, respectively "Bar-wise". and you can split with "T" your objects where your cursor is.

cheers, andreas